X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Analog outputs vs. HDMI

hello all,

has anyone done an A/B comparison with anaolg outputs vs. HDMI?
    first i guess this would be hard to do because of the different equiptment.
    i use a rotel rsp-1068 & a panasonic bd-55 via analog outputs. love the new hd surround sounds. i haven't heard the hd SS via HDMI. it was financially more reasonable to do it this way.

I also think analog 2-channel music sounds better than digital. and again a rotel CD player & a rotel pre-amp. BTW the speakers are paradigm ref. studio 100's v2.
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

I have. The outcome is too specific to the context to generalize but I choose HDMI. One can achieve excellent results either way but there are additional reasons that bias this contest: I firmly believe that good multichannel sound requires more than resolution and transparency. It also requires accurate channel level balance and, perhaps, adjustment for any difference in speaker-to-listener distance. Room EQ is another matter but one can assume perfect acoustical conditions, right? All of these things usually require digital processing and one does not want to redigitize the signals for that.

So, I have used both routes under different conditions and situations and achieved great satisfaction both ways but, in practice, HDMI is the more effective method and the way to most likely achieve success.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• dtb300
      • Apr 2007

Kal,

What about if you have a player that does speaker distance and speaker level settings? Did you still find HDMI, in your opinion, to be better sounding?

For me I have found I like the analog outputs for MCH SACD over HDMI. Probably attributed to better processing in the player.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by dtb300
        Kal,

What about if you have a player that does speaker distance and speaker level settings? Did you still find HDMI, in your opinion, to be better sounding?
        Yes. Hard to explain but the player's adjustments were never as satisfying as those in a good processor. Also, I find it hard to prefer living without room EQ. Again, I am loath to generalize as both can be pretty good.

For me I have found I like the analog outputs for MCH SACD over HDMI. Probably attributed to better processing in the player.
        And, I feel I must say, to personal preference. That applies to me, too, of course.

Kal :x
        Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"