X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dharris
    • Apr 2006

HDMI and Component

Hi all - I'm sure this has been asked before.
    I just bought my new HDTV LCD. I currently have Charter HD cable and I am using Component to connect the two. The quality is great, but my question is this,
    When I move into my new house and am able to get Dish Network, should I connect via HDMI, or is my component connection fine. My A/V does not not have HDMI connections, so I would only be using the HDMI for video and then connecting the audio via another source.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Don
    TV - Mitsubishi 52" HDTV WD-52526
    A/V Receiver - NAD T753
    DVD - Denon HDMI 557
    HD Source - Dish Network VIP622 DVR
    Speakers,
    Main - B&W DM602 S3
    CC - B&W LCR60 S3
    Rear - B&W DM600 S3
    Sub - Def Tech PRO Sub 100 TL
    2 Chan Audio
    Amp - Rotel RB-870BX
    CD - Rotel930AX
    Speakers - MB Quart QLS530
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Don, I personally still use component video here. But then my DVD source is locked into it, which is ok, since I build high quality component myself, and do not feel a quality sacrifice. The one area their could be a sacrifice would be with a digital projector. You wouldn't want to feed it an analog signal.

But analog component is very capable, if it's the right cable. Our silver we feel does give optimum performance, though it could be a somewhat small upgrade, depending on your cable used.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• dharris
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Lex
      Don, I personally still use component video here. But then my DVD source is locked into it, which is ok, since I build high quality component myself, and do not feel a quality sacrifice. The one area their could be a sacrifice would be with a digital projector. You wouldn't want to feed it an analog signal.

But analog component is very capable, if it's the right cable. Our silver we feel does give optimum performance, though it could be a somewhat small upgrade, depending on your cable used.
      Would in my case suing an LCD HDTV see any quality difference from my component to HDMI? My TV has two component sources one would be for the HD dish box and one for my DVD player. Thanks, and I appreciate the help.
      Don
      TV - Mitsubishi 52" HDTV WD-52526
      A/V Receiver - NAD T753
      DVD - Denon HDMI 557
      HD Source - Dish Network VIP622 DVR
      Speakers,
      Main - B&W DM602 S3
      CC - B&W LCR60 S3
      Rear - B&W DM600 S3
      2 Chan Audio
      Amp - Rotel RB-870BX
      CD - Rotel930AX
      Speakers - MB Quart QLS530

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

My personal experience is that HDMI vs Component is equipment dependent. I use HDMI to upscale my Pioneer Elite DVD player to 720p, but found that it didn't have any significant PQ increase with my Directv HD box.

Which prompts the following question.

Has anyone seen any significant PQ increase while using the Directv's HDMI vs Component with the H20?

My apologies, I digressed. What you probably need to do is test the equipment with both the HDMI cable and component cable to determine if there is any increase in PQ.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

It's highly equipment dependant. If either the source or the display has a cheap or poorly designed/executed HDMI or component in/out you'll get a lower quality picture regardless of which cable type you use.

That said, particularly with fixed pixel displays like your LCD unit, HDMI "should" have a higher capacity for a better signal as it requires no D/A A/D conversions. But as I said above if your source/display has better quality component ins/outs then it could be the better cable to use.
          Jason

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"