X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikeh240
    • Dec 2008

Setting up HT

So, I've had a modest HT setup for a few years and I've been into it for a few years more. My dilema is I dont know if everything is "set up" properly. Adjusting A/V controls quite honestly baffles me. Is there some sort of DVD I can run or quick help guide that will walk me through how to get everything functioning properly. Here's what I've got going now.

Sharp Aquos LC-46D92U 46'' LCD

B&W 601S3 Rront right/left
    B&W LCR60 Center
    B&W 600S3 Rear right/left
    No sub :cry:

Onkyo TX-SR674 reciever

PS3 for Blu-ray

Everything is digital audio and HDMI, also I'm running some spendy (for me) speaker cable. Transparent 12GA w/ gold connectors to all 3 front speakers. The system is doing double duty for 2channel + home theater right now.

Thanks in advance for all your responses.

Cheers,

-Mike
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Welcome to the Guide, mikeh240!

The auto-cal on the Onkyo, should get most of the audio taken care of. Just follow the instructions in the manual.

As for the speakers position, the Dolby or THX websites (depending on your preference) will assist you there. You could also contact or go to the B&W website for info on setting the speakers best positions.

As far as setup disc go, AVIA and Digital Video Essentials are my favorites. Avia, being the best for people that need a more detailed explanation of how and why things are setup this way.

Last, you should probably run at least your left and right speakers as "Large" since you do not have a sub.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi Mike, and welcome.

John nailed the DVD question. Digital Video Essentials and AVIA are by far the two best set-up/explanation discs available. Initially, watch one all the way through to get up to speed on the various things to look (and listen) for and then go back through again adjusting your system per the suggestions. Be sure to copy down any setting you change. That way you can always get back to where you started.

Getting away from the electronic adjustments, if you physically move any of the speakers put down a tape outline to show exactly where they were to begin with also. If you already are running your mains set to large and still aren't happy with the amount of bass, you can increase it by moving the mains closer to a wall or corner, but you run the risk of causing the overall sound to get "muddy". Mostly it's a matter of finding the best compromise.

If you can describe your room in a bit more detail, there are lots of other things that we can suggest, too.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• mikeh240
        • Dec 2008

Thanks for all your help guys! Those are exactly the answers I was looking for.

:T

-Mike

Comment

• mikeh240
          • Dec 2008

Ok, next question.

What should I plug my rear speakers into? Surround Left/Right or Surround Back Left/Right?

Sound seems to come out of both, and I have a basic understanding of what the difference between the two is. I just don't know which to plug into if I only have 5 speakers as opposed to 7.

Thanks again guys.

-Mike

Comment

• John Holmes
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Surround left and right. The rear are if you have a 7.1 speaker setup. You have 5.1.
            "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Yep, surround left and right. Go into the setup menus and disable the surround back left and right outputs. If all 7 channels are active and you only have 5 speakers, you'll be losing the audio directed towards those surround back speakers. If those two are deactivated, the the audio for those channels will be rolled into the surround back channels so that you won't be minus some audio.

Mike, you look vaguely familiar....

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"