X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • randyrandy
    • Dec 2008

help with 5.1 speakers

I have a 50" Samsung plasma, a panasonic bluray player and a yahama (RX-v663) amp.

I sit approx 10' from the TV.

I curently use sony 5.1 speakers (4 towers, 1 front speaker and 1 subwoofer) from my old HTIB and I want to get a new 5.1 set.

The room is a large bonus room above my garage but I am only using 1/2 of the room to watch TV so I can't use speakers on the sides (front and back only). I prefer all of the speakers to be towers

my budget is 1500-2500 (for 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer)

Here's what I am looking at now
    Hello from Portland, Oregon! Since 1999, we have been delicately crafting award-winning, audiophile quality speakers. As an early pioneer of direct to consumer online sales, we offer top notch customer service. We invite you to try our speakers with a 30 day in-home audition and hear the Aperion Advantage for yourself!

comments, suggestions ?

Thanks !

Randy
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

come on guys, I invited Randy over here, let's get in the trenches and offer some good suggestions for him.

I talked to him once, but you guys that are more involved in this level package review can assist more here.

thanks.
    Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

I would suggest the klipsch wf-34. I actually emailed him about them.
      Greg

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

I've never heard the Aperions. They do look interesting though. Honestly just about anything you go with will sound better then what your currently using haha. For commercial brands the lower end B&W's a I like and a lot of the Paradigms. You have a pretty modest budget at 2500 for the top end. Klipsch is certainly a nice option as well I've owned some Klipsch's in the past and enjoyed them very much. What are your listening habits? Is this just for HT? Or do you listen to music as well?

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...-1-17.paradigm You could probably go with 2 pairs of these if you really want towers in the back...it would more then likely be a bit of over kill but they retail for like 800msrp. If your buying a whole setup then might be able to get a deal if its a little B&M store.

As for a center generally you want a 3 way center at least that's what I and a lot of others prefer.
          http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...4-1-7.paradigm I believe these MSRP at like 600 or so?

If you were ok going with a small bookshelf on stands for the surrounds then these would be nice.
          http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/...-1-14.paradigm I believe these MSRP around 500 a pair.

So that's something like 1900 before the sub but that's also at or just above MSRP prices so could easily probably get them for less? I'm not really sure what to suggest for a sub as I'm a firm believe that the biggest bang for buck in subs is DIY. I've heard good things about some of the Velodynes but most of the ones I've seen reviewed are the more expensive ones. The Velodyne DLS-3750R which is a 10" sub MSRP's for 599. So that would be within your budget. Or if your pretty handy with a couple power tools you could certainly do a lot with a DIY sub for around 500 or so. Partsexpress even sells premade cabinets if that's your thing just cut the driver hole and amp hole and mount it all up. I could try and put together a little B&W system as well but their prices are harder to find online haha.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Oh the Velodyne Impact-12 is 499 MSRP to might be decent? Like I said previously the Paradigm setup I put together or even the Klipsch setup is just going to blow away that Sony stuff and you're going to be like "what have I been missing all this time".

Comment

• randyrandy
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
              I've never heard the Aperions. They do look interesting though. Honestly just about anything you go with will sound better then what your currently using haha. For commercial brands the lower end B&W's a I like and a lot of the Paradigms. You have a pretty modest budget at 2500 for the top end. Klipsch is certainly a nice option as well I've owned some Klipsch's in the past and enjoyed them very much. What are your listening habits? Is this just for HT? Or do you listen to music as well?

2k is just for the speakers and subwoofer
              95% bluray movies
              5% football
              thx

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah I gathered that. What I had suggested previously fits in that budget pretty well. You'll have to see what kind of deals you can get locally. I'd imagine the 5 speakers you may be able to pickup for around 1400-1500 depending. So you could probably keep the total cost down at or under 2k. Like I said previously if you go into a B&M dealer that sells Paradigm and Velodyne you could probably walk out with a good deal if your purchasing all 6 speakers from the same place.

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Lower end B&W and Paradigms are what I'd suggest. You should be able to easily fit it into your budget. The used market might be a good place to browse.
                  Danish

Comment

• don9146
                    • Nov 2008

EMP Tek is having a big sale on their speakers through the Audioholics website right now (http://www.audioholics.com/news/indu...e-blowout-sale ). I haven't heard them, but the online reviews are positive. They would actually come in under your budget by a significant amount.

Later,
                    Don
                    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"