X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Tale of Two Speakers (Not towers) Extremas PART II

All I can say is these speakers are.... Whoa wait, back the truck up. There's some work here huh? From the top, or the bottom, as it may be:

What a week, it's been, trying to get those speakers. First, the seller accidentally put the wrong street address. I freaked. I mean, I had just paid him a LOT of money! I was worried. But not half as worried as when I found out the zip code of the consignee was listed as Fort Myers Florida!!! Certainly glad I called last Friday, while the speakers were still in Cincinnati. Hats off to DHL for being able to actually locate them and retag them with the proper address!!! :T

then waiting the weekend, many calls to DHL confirming that things were going well. Monday morning I get a call from the agent, and he wants to bring them out first thing. But he said he had 3 boxes, not 4. I said oh crap! There's got to be 4, please find the other one. So, I don't get a Monday shipment. Tuesday morning, I am on the phone first thing, telling them I want to know where my 4th is. I have to say, they were really good to work with still. The lady I had been working with, Susan called me back about 30 minutes later and said they had the 4th box. Yeah!

So, about 2:00 I get a call from the driver in Pigeon Forge, and says he wants to deliver. Excellent! My housekeeper was here, so I said bring em on! She had him set them in the garage.

So then I get home about 5 and:

1. Removed Sonus faber Grand Pianos, and sedementary stones, making room.
    2. Got out my fold up hand truck and proceeded to carefully port the boxes in.
    3. REST.
    4. Opened the stands got them out, (weight like 125-150 pounds each.
    5. REST.
    6. Sliced open the tops of the speaker boxes, looked, tried to pick up by the towels around them, no way. at 100 pounds, not gonna lift them out that way!
    7. Waited for daughter to get home to give an assist, holding boxes, and even picking up half of one.
    8. Finally, after about 15 minutes of work, we had them out, and I hoisted them up one at a time to their perches. Whew!
    9. REST, and eat.

Finally, I get back from eating, about to bust with anticipation. I fired up the first CD handy, Miles Davis, the Essentials. At first, it was like, hmmm, not sounding to good. Then as I found better tracks, and turned them up louder, it began. Dynamic, HUGE soundstage, SUPER SMOOTH, EFFORTLESS, expansive, wonderful clarity, detail, finesse'. As the tracks got around to some Kind of Blue, settle in for an eye closing "set". Then a big band horn tune, and WOW, can these puppies sing!

Even though I was truly wanting more, I watched a little TV, and then frantically searched for my Sarah McLaughlan CDs I wanted to hear on it, to test the mids well, couldn't find. So, I settled in with some Diana Krall, When I Look in your Eyes. Oh man, so smooth, piano as if in the room with me. Actually, the piano on the Miles CD also struck me as almost live, it was so pure. I had to turn them down so my daughter could go to bed, so the full scale listening is over for night one.

What an experience, just setting them up. Looking in awe as their beauty and size. These are some big stand mount speakers! Well, there you have it, my out of the box impressions. I think these speakers will be in my household for a very, very, VERY long time. :T :5:

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

3. REST.
    LOL!!

Very, very cool, Lex. I'm even excited for you.

Where will these reside? In your HT or your 2-channel system? What are you doing with the Grand Pianos? Isn't that like 6 or 8 pair of main speakers you now own?

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

I don't think my 30 watt tube integrated is a good match for these difficult to drive speakers Sili. They are in my HT, and will stay there, into the forseable future, powered by my Proceed HPA-2 with 500 watts @ 4 ohms. These are 4 ohm speakers. It remains to be seen how well they will integrate with my other 5 Sonus faber speakers for home theater. Someone said the Amators would be a good match. But I don't see myself with a bookshelf speaker for a center, so that would present difficulty. I could sell the rears and side Concerto and Concertinos in favor of other more vintage higher end Sf speakers. But anything like that, involving additional financial outlay is out at this point. These will have to integrate with my HT for now. A gamble yes. But I think it will work out, I really do.

Thanks for your excitement! Oh, and 6 or 8 sets of mains, hardly. Well, 6 yes. But 2 pairs of those are in my HT, and another pair is the mains of my bedroom theater. With the Grand Prixs going to my integrated tube hideout system, I have 1 spare pair, the Kappas. I just sold my Infinity Composition Overture IIs last week. They had no place here, and the money went on the Extremas.

I may sell the Kappas yet, not certain. Shipping a bit more difficult without original boxes.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

Although it is hard to tell from your reports so far, is it safe to assume that you are glad you bought the Extremas? :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Happy to hear that all went well and you are enjoying them at home. Congrats.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

You DO like them, don't you Lex?

David - HTGuide flunky
            Our "Theater"
            Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Thanks guys, yeah, I do love them very much so far. I came home today and did some listening, Diana Krall Stepping Out, then some Paul Hardcastle Jazzmasters I. I just watched a good bit of 5th Element Super Bit to see how they did on movies as left and right mains.

Well, a new level of detail from my mains. Wide open, crossed over at 40 Hz, they were wonderful. One problem. I'm not sure my center can now keep pace with these speakers. I "thought" the Solo was a pretty good center. But after elevating my tweeter experience to a new level in music, it makes it difficult to go back to the good but inferior Solo center. I watched 5th Element with phantom center some, pretty sweet actually. Of course, I was dead center of the mains. Not everyone can be centered, so sometimes, the center will be necessary. Of course, I can play around some more with it, removing grill from center, see if that opens it up some. Anyway, the Extrema have even taken my home theater experience to a new level. Pretty awesome! :B

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
              Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

it makes it difficult to go back to the good but inferior Solo

Actually Lex, if you want to get down to cases, you'll need 4 Extremas more for the PROPER home theater sound - one for the center main, one for the center surround, and 2 for the L/R surrounds. Better get back on Audiogon, eh? Ka-ching! 8O

David - HTGuide flunky
                Our "Theater"
                Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                  ...you'll need 4 Extremas more for the PROPER home theater sound ... Better get back on Audiogon, eh? Ka-ching!
                  Yeah! To remain an HT addict in good standing, anyone who has recently upgraded their front left/right stereo pair way beyond the quality level of the speakers they already had in-house needs to go further out on a financial limb immediately with additional upgrades for the center and/or surrounds. :>)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Audioclyde
                    • Aug 2000

Lex, we haven't communicated in a long time, since back when I was driving Thiel 3.6's with my Proceed amp. Anyway, your influence helped lead me to the 'dark side'--I'm now driving SF Electa Amator II's with a J Rowland Concentra II as my mains (amp and speakers). The EA II's are fabulous--I can just imagine what the Extremas must sound like!

Anyway, I've been told that other than using another EA II as a center (which raises issues such as no magnetic shielding, as well as cost), the Proac CC2 is a good match--supposedly much better than the SF Solo. I'm keeping a lookout for a used one to try.

Good Luck and Happy Listening!

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Ouch David! You want I should take a second mortgage out on the house. :LOL: Maybe just pay for them with rubber checks?

I admit, Extrema rears would be extreme, but sweet! Of course, it might take an amp upgrade too, to maybe an HPA-3 or Theta Dreadnaught. :drool: But no way am I hoising a hundred pound speaker on top of my RPTV, as it might sage in the middle. lol.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                      Doug

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Burke
                        anyone who has recently upgraded their front left/right stereo pair way beyond the quality level of the speakers they already had in-house

Who me (too)? :??

Originally posted by Lex
                        maybe an HPA-3 or Theta Dreadnaught

Nah no Dreadnaught - how about a pair (or six) of those Parasound Halo JC-1 monoblocks? That's MY fantasy upgrade.

David - HTGuide flunky
                        Our "Theater"
                        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• efarstad
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jun 2001

Lex...just one word:

SWEET!

:T

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                          E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Lex
                            Ouch David! You want I should take a second mortgage out on the house. :LOL: Maybe just pay for them with rubber checks?
                            Deficit spending, if the gov't can do it, so can we! Surely you have a platinum card kicking around... :B
                            But no way am I hoising a hundred pound speaker on top of my RPTV, as it might sage in the middle. lol.
                            LOL, I guess that means you need to upgrade your RPTV too, if your present wimpy one can't support a 100 lb. center. Or build a really sturdy shelf.

You do know the center speaker is the most important in HT, right?

Still, congrats on your acquisition. I don't want to hear them though, as then I would no longer be happy with my speakers! :boohoo:

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                            My HT Site

Comment

• Ricky
                              • Aug 2000

Lex,

Congrats! Those look sweet and must sound even sweeter! Have you tried them though the Classe preamp yet?

IMO, you should worry about changing your existing SF sides and rears. Perhaps track down a better center and stop there (Proceed Amp5 should still be very capable).

Comment

• Rock Dog
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2003

Actually, what Lex should do, is buy 2 more pair. Rear surrounds, and split the 3rd pair for front center and rear center. Stop being such a cheapskate and get it done. :LOL:

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Dawg, that was my suggestion exactly! :T

David - HTGuide flunky
                                  Our "Theater"
                                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Lex
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Apr 2001

Thanks Ricky, oh yeah, the Classe' is connected to the HPA-2 via XLR, and the Lexicon is connected to it via RCA. I switch 2 dip switches on the back to toggle between 2 channel and home theater processing. So, it is the best of both worlds that way. Well, relative to the quality of the pre-amp and pre-pro. I'm sure I could better the Classe' someday. But for 600 bucks, I sure am getting my money's worth now.

How about floating me a loan Thomas and David? I'd love to add more of them, except for setup! LOL.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                                    Doug

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

your influence helped lead me to the 'dark side'--I'm now driving SF Electa Amator II's with a J Rowland Concentra II as my mains (amp and speakers). The EA II's are fabulous--I can just imagine what the Extremas must sound like!
                                      Audioclyde, somehow I missed this post way back when. I'd like to first say, I am honored to have influenced your system. That sounds like a really nice system. What pre-amp are you using?

Do you like your EAIIs a lot more than your Theils you had?

You know, I have heard that about the Proac center as well. Did you ever try one?

Lex
                                      Doug

Comment

• Aeromos
                                        • Jun 2003

Hey Lex,

All I can say is, NICE!! Those babies are huge and beautiful to boot!!

I'm starting to wonder though if your latest upgrades were really for a step closer to audio nirvana. First was the 336 amp. Now it's the Extremas!! Perhaps subconsciously you believe you need to be in better shape and work out. But instead of buying yourself weights or getting a membership at a gym, you are manifesting these subconscious thoughts into purchases that give you a workout (sweat, strength development and endurance) -LOL!!

Enjoy your new babies. Congratulations on your new twins!!

Aeromos
                                        Enjoy life, it's too short to waste!!
                                        My Collection
                                        Aeromos
                                        My Collection

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

Thanks Aeromos! Actually, the Extremas came first!

But your right, I keep adding gear that weighs a ton. It does create a new issues if you ever move. Help to move all this stuff!

The Extremas sure are amazing, that's for sure.

Lex
                                          Doug

Comment

• Aeromos
                                            • Jun 2003

Those speakers and amp weigh more than I do. I could probably help carry your cables!! :LOL:

Aeromos
                                            My Collection
                                            Aeromos
                                            My Collection

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"