X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • v1rtu0s1ty
    • Dec 2006

need enlightenment about diy main speakers

hey folks,

I just got registered here. I know the feeling when you accomplished something that you build yourself and I want to experience that too. I would like to build main speakers for my future home theater which would be 11.5' x 20' dimensions. I also currently own a svs sub 20-39 pci which is my first sub(I didn't know before that we can make a sub for ourselves too until I somone from avsforum told me about this forum).

My present mains are small bookshelf and does the job fine. It's an Atom from Paradigms. I really would like have a nice diy speakers that would really WOW me, stand my hair(LOL), for my dedicated future ht(room within a room design). However, with my $500-$600 budget, is it possible to make a pair of speakers(towers)?

Also, I'm not really an expert in audio so the terminologies such as crossovers, I don't know them but certainly am very determined to learn what they are.

So can anyone please help me?

Thanks!

Neil
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Have you checked out the Mission Accomplished section of the forum yet?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Hi and welcome... :T

Your best bet as a n00b is to look at the various designs in the Missions Accomplished section. Those are proven designs many, many people have made.
      Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:15 Monday. Reason: Update url

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Hey, you're in Huntley! There are a couple of use Chicagolanders here.

I used to own Paradigm Atoms and Titans. Currently, I own Ascend 340SE, but I've now heard both the Modula MTs and CJD's MTM. I think you would be really impressed with either of these projects. They destroy the Atoms. And in fact, both are in my opinion better than the Paradigm Studios. Stepping up would probably be the NatP project, which can be built as a tower.

Like was said, check out Mission Accomplished.

Chris is in Gurney, and I bet he would let you listen to his MTM's. And, if your willing to do a three hour drive, JonW in Lafayette would probably let you listen to his ModulaMT.
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
          • Dec 2006

Your best bet as a n00b is to look at the various designs in the Missions Accomplished section. Those are proven designs many, many people have made.
          I will take a look at it.

Originally posted by ---k---
          Hey, you're in Huntley! There are a couple of use Chicagolanders here.

I used to own Paradigm Atoms and Titans. Currently, I own Ascend 340SE, but I've now heard both the Modula MTs and CJD's MTM. I think you would be really impressed with either of these projects. They destroy the Atoms. And in fact, both are in my opinion better than the Paradigm Studios. Stepping up would probably be the NatP project, which can be built as a tower.

Like was said, check out Mission Accomplished.

Chris is in Gurney, and I bet he would let you listen to his MTM's. And, if your willing to do a three hour drive, JonW in Lafayette would probably let you listen to his ModulaMT.
          I want to have a tower speakers now. I will take a look of the speaker project you've mentioned such Modula MTs and CJD's MTM.

I got confused when you send NatP project. What is it?

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

that stands for Natalie P, an MTM project that can be done in a standard PE 1 cu ft MTM cabinet or in a floor standing tower. Similar to the Modula MTM, but with a less complex lower cost crossover.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
            Obi-Wan
            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

Ohhh, he wants towers does he??

Image not available

Anyhow, I think there have been thoughts of a northern get-together of sorts, will have to wait a few more weeks to happen but it's on my list of things to do. MTM's can be listened to, 3-ways, any projects I happen to complete between now and then, and any anyone else brings along for the ride. And a private listening session can be arranged as well.

C
              Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:16 Monday. Reason: Remove broken image link
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                • Dec 2006

Those are nice towers. Can they be put as close to the corners of a home theater room? I will have a 12 ft wide room minus 8 ft for the screen, which leaves me with 4 ft or 2 ft on both sides. So is the 2 ft ok for this kind of towers? Or should I design my screen in such a way that the left/right and centers will be behind the screen?

Oh, my eyes are telling me that your towers are really expensive. How much did it cost you? Is there any lower towers but still would perform really nice? Watching movies is 70% and 30% listening to music such as acoustics/rocks/alternative.

Awesome towers cjd!

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                  • Dec 2006

OH, I forgot, can someone please help me? I will have a 12' x 20' ht room. I currently have a yamaha rxv1400 receiver. Can you also please recommend to me what center speaker, side speaker and back speaker would match the left/front speakers? And also, at what location should the side speakers be installed, (from screen, 13th, 14th, ...16 ft)? Is there any formula of the location. What about the back speakers, how far apart should they be?

Thanks guys!

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    that stands for Natalie P, an MTM project that can be done in a standard PE 1 cu ft MTM cabinet or in a floor standing tower. Similar to the Modula MTM, but with a less complex lower cost crossover.
                    I'm sorry but what is "standard PE 1 cu ft" mean?

Thanks!

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Chris' design is the Dayton RS 3-way towers and it's documented in the Missions Accomplished section of the forum.

No it can't possibly be built for $600. For that budget look at the Modula MTM or NatP designs located in the same section of the forum

Originally posted by v1rtu0s1ty
                      I'm sorry but what is "standard PE 1 cu ft" mean?

Thanks!
                      He's referring to the premade Parts Express cabinet that has 1 cu ft as it's internal volume. Click on the PE banner at the top of this webpage and enter 302-752 in the part number search box

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                        • Dec 2006

How much then would run a piece?

What do you think about Modula MTM or NatP? When I heard the Paradigm Studio 20s, I felt just ok. When I heard the Paradigms Monitor 7 or 9, I was amazed. Can the MTM or NatP be compared to the monitor 7 or 9?

Comment

• cjd
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Dec 2004

You building this room from scratch?

What's your timeline? I'd be happy to help out - you have the room depth to go for an acoustically transparent screen and stuff (you can do this DIY with good results), so you *could* put speakers behind the screen which is absolutely ideal sonically for a lot of reasons. You need ~8" or more between the face of the speakers and the screen, so it would have to be ~3-4 feet out from the actual wall behind the screen. I've done my own screen as well so I'm not just about speakers. :P

In that room you should give some thought to a constant height screen setup.

And, budget is ~$1200 all told for the 3-ways I believe. Give or take. So your budget might get you one... mono is where it's at though... :lol:

And, if you hit the Parts Express link up top of the site and browse their premade cabinets, one of them is 1cu/ft, which is what the Natalie P was designed in. My own preference would be a bit more volume in a ported (or TL) setup. However, sealed NatalieP's should work quite well with the 80 or 100Hz stock crossover to a sub that is built into most receivers.

C

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                            • Dec 2006

sorry got confused, the $1200 is for a pair of 3 way or just one tower?

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

1200 should cover a pair of the WWMTM's... I thought.

C

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Too many people posting at once and referring to different designs led to confusion, I deleted all the posts except Chris' reply

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• cjd
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                  Too many posting led to confusion, I deleted all the threads except Chris' reply
                                  You're not the only one! It's busy today with folks asking questions. I have work to do, and can't get away! :P

C

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                                    • Dec 2006

Hi Chris,

I searched for Modula and I couldn't find a post that's from you. I saw some pictures and they look like big bookshelf(a little bigger than the Paradigm Studio 20s). Am I correct? Is this the one? https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13154

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, that I can build it for ~$300, one speaker.

I think, towers are too much for my budget.
                                    Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:14 Monday. Reason: Update url

Comment

• pereze
                                      • May 2006

might help...

Originally posted by v1rtu0s1ty
                                      Hi Chris,

I searched for Modula and I couldn't find a post that's from you. I saw some pictures and they look like big bookshelf(a little bigger than the Paradigm Studio 20s). Am I correct? Is this the one? https://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13154

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, that I can build it for ~$300, one speaker.

I think, towers are too much for my budget.

Hi Neil,
                                      I am still learning here as well, but I wanted to share a couple of things I have learned that may help you.

Click on the link above posted by Thomas that will take you to the Mission Accomplished area. There you will find a thread on each of the speakers that are "finalized". There is one posted by Evil Twin called Natilie P's.

If you click on that, and read for a few days (cause there is lots of information ) you will find a lot of information and learn about the different versions.

When looking to find the cost of the different speakers, do a search within the thread and look for "BOM" or Bill of Materials. This will get you a total cost for the build, or at least an idea of what it might cost.

Hopefully this helps,
                                      Eric
                                      Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:15 Monday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                                        • Dec 2006

Will do.

Thanks Eric!

Comment

• v1rtu0s1ty
                                          • Dec 2006

Ok folks, I have seen the speakers that I like. It's NatP. Please see attached picture. How much will it cost me to build exactly one completed speaker on the picture(not pair)?

And will that speaker perform really well as center speaker too?

Since I'm doing a 7.1 setup, what model should I go with for the side speakers? What about for the rear speakers?

Thanks folks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	JimH-NatalieP1.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	846997
                                          Last edited by theSven; 18 September 2023, 08:14 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"