X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • debv1947
    • Nov 2008

Need advice on connections

Hello and first let me apologize for my ignorance. I have a question about my new equipment and how it was connected. There is no problem but I don't know if it is connected in the best way and Sony tech support was noncommittal.

I have a Sony KDL-46XBR8 TV, a Sony Blue Ray BDP-S550 and a Sony Home Theater HT-SS2300. My TV source is a High-Definition DVR from Comcast (Motorola DCH3416) This is a once in a lifetime purchase for me so I had it installed by a professional installer. The young man seemed very knowledgable and assured me that he was connecting the system in the way that would provide optimal video and audio.

Here is how it is connected. He connected the DVR to the audio receiver via BOTH HDMI and optical digital cable. He connected the Blue Ray to the audio receiver also with BOTH HDMI and optical digital cable. He then connected the receiver to the TV with HDMI cable. I am fine with getting all of my audio through the receiver.

I am reading in these forums though, that maybe I would get better audio if there was only an HDMI connection. There seems to be great controversy on this topic. The installer insisted that I would get better quality audio by having both connections.

Finally, he did not set up the Blu-Ray menus so I have entered "HDMI" for the Video connection and "Optical" for the audio connection in the Blu-Ray's setup. Is this correct?

I welcome any advice, suggestions or feedback. I've only had the system for a week and haven't really tested it fully but I am confused about the connection. Thank anyone who can help.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Check your other message.. No need to post again.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Miyuki
      • Nov 2008

Originally posted by debv1947
      Hello and first let me apologize for my ignorance. I have a question about my new equipment and how it was connected. There is no problem but I don't know if it is connected in the best way and Sony tech support was noncommittal.

I have a Sony KDL-46XBR8 TV, a Sony Blue Ray BDP-S550 and a Sony Home Theater HT-SS2300. My TV source is a High-Definition DVR from Comcast (Motorola DCH3416) This is a once in a lifetime purchase for me so I had it installed by a professional installer. The young man seemed very knowledgable and assured me that he was connecting the system in the way that would provide optimal video and audio.

Here is how it is connected. He connected the DVR to the audio receiver via BOTH HDMI and optical digital cable. He connected the Blue Ray to the audio receiver also with BOTH HDMI and optical digital cable. He then connected the receiver to the TV with HDMI cable. I am fine with getting all of my audio through the receiver.

I am reading in these forums though, that maybe I would get better audio if there was only an HDMI connection. There seems to be great controversy on this topic. The installer insisted that I would get better quality audio by having both connections.

Finally, he did not set up the Blu-Ray menus so I have entered "HDMI" for the Video connection and "Optical" for the audio connection in the Blu-Ray's setup. Is this correct?

I welcome any advice, suggestions or feedback. I've only had the system for a week and haven't really tested it fully but I am confused about the connection. Thank anyone who can help.
      Hi debv,

The only advantage of OTP over HDMI is the distortion ratio of the signal. This is however a non-issue unless you use a very long and low grade HDMI cable. HDMI is the preferable transport for audio signals as its capacity greatly outperforms OPT. Therefore, I see no reason for using OTP in your case unless your sources are not able to output audio through your HDMI link. Firewire, Component Video, S-Video, RCA-video, and S/PDIF based OPT and COAX medium will disappear and be replaced by HDMI. USB, Ethernet, SATAx will however remain along with HDMI as digital transports. What will happen to Denon-link is unclear but I assume it will die away.
      Miyuki
      :brunette:

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"