Processor Upgrade - Marantz AV8801 or Emotiva UMC-200 + Oppo?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LordLex
    • Jun 2012

Processor Upgrade - Marantz AV8801 or Emotiva UMC-200 + Oppo?

Hi there,

Been a while since I posted and received great advice here last time I upgraded. I'm thinking it might be the time to fork out on a new Processor as my SR5005 is getting a bit outdated but not sure which way to go.

My current set up:
    Marantz SR5005 (using pre outs)
    Emotiva XPA-5
    Speakers: B&W CMC2 Center, CM7 Fronts, CM1 Surrounds, Dual ASW2500s
    Sources: PC via HDMI for Movies, Analog for Music, PS3 via HDMI for blu-ray, Cable Box via HDMI

I use this 50/50 for music and video and most of the music and video comes through the PC through XBMC and Foobar2000.

I've read all the reviews of the Marantz AV8801 and have been tempted. It seems like a total overkill though (and pretty darn expensive) with all those channels I'll never use (might go 7.2 in the future but will need to move house first).

The other option I'm considering is to save some cash and get an Emotiva UMC-200 and an Oppo 103/105, connecting the PC to the Oppo via HDMI to decode all audio/video and connect this directly to the TV and send the audio to the UMC-200 via PCM and simply process audio only.

Other considerations are also how easy to use each set up will be when switching sources through the relevant GUIs or Android remotes on my Nexus7 and simplicity for the wife to watch Blu-rays and TV with ease while I'm gaming on the PC (in the current when she turns on the TV, this triggers the system into action and the HDMI handshaking blanks the PC screen while the system turns on - very frustrating)

Which option would make the most sense in terms of sound/audio quality as well as generally usability?

Thanks!
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Well, sound quality wise, both units have great sound (so reviews say). If I interpret what you wrote correctly, I believe either will get you to your end goal.

The one thing to remember, the UMC-200 has no legacy video option. It's HDMI or bust. As to the handshake with HDMI, that IMHO will always be a crapshoot. I have a UMC-1. The handshake is usually 5 to 7 seconds. I haven't had any issue other than this delay. However, such is life with HDCP.

I think you have already figured out, the Emotiva will probably be easier for your wife to use, though I'm unsure if Android remote will work with the UMC-200.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

I've been checking out the Marantz myself , it looks to be a killer unit. I have listened to the older versions and I really like the warm clean clear tone they have. Features your loaded.

The Emotiva I have no experience with but would like to. It's simple and cheap. If thats your game then I can't see why not at least test drive it.

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

Im also looking for a new processor, and the Marantz is at the top of my list. But since i dont plan on watching 3D, i was wondering if the 8003 would fit the bill. Used prices put it pretty reasonable. Lordlex, have you thought about going used?

Comment

• LordLex
          • Jun 2012

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by John Holmes
          The one thing to remember, the UMC-200 has no legacy video option. It's HDMI or bust. As to the handshake with HDMI, that IMHO will always be a crapshoot. I have a UMC-1. The handshake is usually 5 to 7 seconds. I haven't had any issue other than this delay. However, such is life with HDCP.
          Yes. I don't need the legacy support which is another reason I thought about the Emotiva as the unit is really small as it doesn't have all those other connections at the back. I could fit that and the Oppo where the SR5005 lives. The AV8801 on the other hand is massive with all the legacy inputs and if I decided to add a Blu-ray player later, will need to add expand the home made rack.

Wondering if the handshakes would be better with the PC signal from the Oppo going directly to the TV rather than through the Processor. I used to connect the PC directly to the TV and it never had to handshake and blank the PC monitor when the TV was turned on.

Originally posted by Dmantis
          I've been checking out the Marantz myself , it looks to be a killer unit. I have listened to the older versions and I really like the warm clean clear tone they have.
          I was really happy with the SR5005 but after I added the XPA-5, the soundstage completely opened up and got me on to the idea of upgrading to a dedicated Pre-Pro. The AV8801 does look fantastic but the value I got from buying the XPA-5 (my first ever Emotiva product) got me thinking that I might just be wasting my money when I can with the UMC-200 and an Oppo for less.

Originally posted by DelRay
          Lordlex, have you thought about going used?
          No, but looking at some used gear might be a good option if I'll just be using the UMC-200 as a pre-amp for the audio. I live in Japan so the used market is pretty good. I'll have a look and see what I can find online.

Would anyone happen to know if the JP versions of the Oppo 103/105 have Japanese or English menus?

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2006

Im also looking for a new processor, and the Marantz is at the top of my list. But since i dont plan on watching 3D, i was wondering if the 8003 would fit the bill. Used prices put it pretty reasonable. Lordlex, have you thought about going used?
            The 8003 has outdated and limited roomEQ.
            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

what else do you know about it Kal?
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2006

Not much. It didn't appeal to me.
                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ldgibson76
                  • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  The 8003 has outdated and limited roomEQ.
                  Originally posted by Lex
                  what else do you know about it Kal?
                  Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                  Not much. It didn't appeal to me.
                  Hello DelRay.

If you are considering any of the Marantz Pre-pro's, despite Kal's very descriptive input or lack thereof about the 8003's feature set and age, it's an impressive pre-pro but does lacks the most recent tech implementations. Yes, room correction seems to be the holy grail for many, but regardless of how new the version of room correction, it's not perfect! Never has been. What may be the holy grail to one person may be a nightmare to another. That being said, the AV8801 is a beast of a pre-pro and as of right now, the most complete of the pre-pros available. Nothing approaches it at that price point/feature set. Here's the question.... are you prepping your system to be as future proof as possible? (there's no such thing as future-proof) If you are, then the 8801 is the ticket, albeit an expensive one.

Your other option IMO worth considering is the AV7005. Granted, it lacks the most advance room correction, but in some ways, it's more advance than the 8003's and it has a smaller footprint. What's more, they are available for less than a $1K. It has an excellent feature set and is still relevant. One more option is the Denon AVR-4311. Why? Although it's an AVR, it has an amp disable feature which diverts the power supplies to the pre-amp section only. The nice thing about it is that it does have the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 software and it too is available for under $1K.

Now, it you are just looking for a stop gap until more pre-pros are available with the some of the same capabilities that are featured on the 8801 for a lot less money, then the Emotiva UMC-200 is not a bad way to go. Right now, it will do exactly what you need it to do and you never know, you may be surprised by the performance of the Emo pre-pro.:huh: It all depends on expectation and what's important.
                  Last edited by ldgibson76; 28 April 2013, 17:10 Sunday.
                  Regards,

ldgibson76
                  My Setup
                  The 2 Channel Within
                  "Chance favors only the prepared mind."
                  -Louis Pasteur

"Foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
                  -Douglas Adams

Comment

• Alloroc
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

I'm spinning up to Belfast this Saturday to collect my new AV-8801 and matching MM-8077. I have the SR-7005 and felt it was time to get some power back into my system. I love the SR7005 mind you. I upgraded from a Rotel and moving from a surround sound processing device to a fully networked and hdmi switched device a couple of years back was a massive leap. Room calibration made a huge difference. You could always consider the newer SR-7007 and use pre-outs as it's now being discounted as it approaches replacement. Well it is on my side of the pond. You'll get all mod cons, bells and whistles and still sound fantastic. I'm on iOS and the control app has come a long way too. I've had no issue with my 7005 - just as I mentioned, I want more horsepower and time to go back to pre/pro. My sources are a Boxee, Apple TV, a Pioneer Elite BDP, a PS/3, STB/PVR and a Sonos Connect. No issues with handshaking on the Marantz with any of those HDMI devices. It'll be a few weeks before I get to set up the new kit but I'll fill you in on how it goes.
                    Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Shame you need more than two inputs or you could get away with JUST the Oppo BDP-105 connected straight to your amp. It's got great audio processing, 7.1 outs to connect to an amp, volume control, fantastic video scaling etc...

I've only got our TV STB and a WDTV to connect...I could theoretically go that route and be pretty happy :lol:

Heck I think it might even take the place of my WDTV though I'd have to look in to that and see what exactly it's streaming capabilities/GUI are. I know they have an App that improves that but I think I'd miss the nice GUI the WD has there.
                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

To add to my previous post...

Perhaps you could nix the PC for movies/music and use the Oppo to render/stream those? Then you would have just your Cable box and PS3. And if you don't use the PS3 for game (just BD's) you could have just the cable box (or add the PC back) and use the Oppo as your BD player.
                        Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Alloroc, I believe you made a great choice. Keep us informed.
                          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"