X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oldskool
    • Sep 2008

video signal, (s-vid to component)

Hello all,

I have a Yamaha RXV1000 reciever which I moved into a server rack in my basement with all my other components and is no longer visible or easily acessible. Its an older unit without hdmi, only composite, s-vid and component output. I have it connected to a new toshiba REZGA 52" lcd via component cables. The issue I have and would like to resolve is the "on screen" display from the yamaha is only carried on the composite and s-vid outputs, not available on component. I can control the reciver and other electronics with an ir repeater system however I have no visual feedback for the reciver since I can no longer see it. Its very frustrating trying to work the surround sound options. and input selections.
    I came across a passive cable at monoprice with s-vid at one end and component at the other end. My question is can I use this adaptor together with a component Y splitter between the reciver output and tv input to force the on screen display into the component stream? Will a setup like this degrade the signal quality?

All input will be appreciated.

Thanks
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

My Denon 3801 reveiver is like that. I have the S-video connected, along with component and HDMI to my projector. I only use the S-video when I need to make any changes ( via the menu ) on the Denon setup. I honestly don't know if the alternative you are thinking about will or won't work.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Can't use passive y's on a video cable. You will kill your brightness even when only using output. Plus the chance of sending two signals at the same time is too high.

With only two component video inputs, you are in a tough spot. Best suggestion would be to get a new Yamaha that can convert everything to component, plus have new features and more inputs..

Otherwise, the cheapest way is to pick up the IR controlled component video switch from Monoprice. Run the component output of the yamaha to input 1 and switch to it when using component sources, run the svid to component cable to input 2 and switch to it when wanting setup or non-component sources.

I couldn't find a svideo to component adapter cable at mono-price. You're not talking about the one's for ATI video cards are you? If so, they won't work. That's not an s-video on the end, it's a 9pin DIN plug.

If you just want to make adjustments and not watch video, you can just run the composite output of the Yamaha to the input 2 green port on the component switch. You TV should be able to display the basic B&W text of the Yamaha OSD over component no problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• oldskool
        • Sep 2008

george, my tv does not have an s-vid or composite in the component input slot. vid 1,2 and 3 are HDMI ,4&5 are component only and 6 is compoiste together with s-vid. I could use the composite input on video 6 and just scroll throuh input selector on remote to acess osd but thats not what I want.

kevin, I ordered a 6X2 impact acoustix video matrix switch to handle my component sources via a harmony remote so I dont even need to connect anything to the 2 Yamaha inputs. Upgrading the reciver is not an option as it becomes a domino effect. I dont plan on having any video signal whatsoever on the s-vid or composite as all my vid sources are component, so the chances of sending 2 signals to the passive Y at the same time are nil. And yes as I pointed out to george, I can always send a composite cable to video6 and switch tv input for OSD parameter setup and adjustments. What I really want is the volume, and input mode OSD "on the fly" while watching programming without having to switch over to video 6. Maybe I can use a passive Y on the green and only have a composite connected to the green and not bother with the s-vid to component cable? Since the red and blue wont be connected at all and the only time the green will have a second vid signal (OSD only) is momentary during reciver adjustments, maybe it will workand brightness wont be an issue? What do you think? also is there any chance of doing any damage to anything as 2 vid signals will backfeed into eachother. I know it doesnt matter with audio signals, but i never tried mixing video signals. BTW i just checked monoprice and the s-vid to component cable is a MDIN7 for an infocus projector and wont work for regular 4 pin s-vid.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

So you are wanting to overlay the volume info et all on top of a video signal not going through the Yamaha? That's never going to happen. The OSD on-the-fly information is text over a black screen and you can't mix two video signals together. Best case is you won't see anything. Worst case you blow something up in your TV.

Even getting a new receiver won't work if most of your sources are HD component, as very few models will show on-the-fly info over 720p or 1080i sources.

Kevin D.

Comment

• oldskool
            • Sep 2008

Well my curiosity got the best of me and I split the green. With only the composite connected, I get the osd. Once I have both connected the volume osd does not register and once the parameter setup osd is activated, the video screen blanks out and causes "no video signal detected" message. What a bummer. the worst part is my familly cant figure out that when there is no sound they selected DTS audio source instead of Auto. Too bad Yamaha does not have a firmware upgrade to OSD the component output. I would run the matrix switch through the yamaha input.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Call Toshiba tech support and see if they have a viable solution. I guess you can't hook up a mini 8" LCD screen just for the OSD, with a extended cable.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"