X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Hardwood Floors?

hello all,

hopefully we'll be moving into our 1st. house soon with hardwood floors. every apartment i've rented had carpet. i heard the hardwood floors will made the home theater sound better.

any hardwood floor vs. the carpet with home theater folks out there
    Last edited by june; 27 August 2008, 19:50 Wednesday. Reason: spelling
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I don't know about better, it will make the room more lively and bright sounding. Will cause a lot of reflection issues which for HT I don't think thats a good thing. I would get a nice big thick area rug to throw over the room.

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I had carpet in my old house and then installed hardwood floors, leaving everything else the same. I didn't notice any huge issues either way. It did sound a bit more lively, I would also suggest a rug.

Are you considering other room treatments?
      Danish

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by june
        hello all, hopefully we'll be moving into our 1st. house soon with hardwood floors. every apartment i've rented had carpet. i heard the hardwood floors will made the home theater sound better. any hardwood floor vs. the carpet with home theater folks out there

Positive about hardwood floors :T
        * the room is more alive
        * music sounds better (concert halls are not carpeted)
        * you will feel your sub vibrations
        * less allergies, carpets are nasty bug repositories especially microscopic ones
        - looks nicer and is easier to clean

Negatives
        - reflections could be increased, put a thick rug with padding that will help
        - sub needs to be readjusted otherwise it could sound boomy
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by wettou
          * the room is more alive
          * music sounds better (concert halls are not carpeted)
          Nope. Concert hall ambiance is part of the original sound. any additions from your room, e.g., "more alive" is a distortion.
          See above.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I prefer carpet. My listening space has woollen carpeting on the floor and back wall. In addition I have a few rugs on the walls.

I like to close my eyes and let the musical detail whisper to me as if it is very close and very personal. Having as few reflection points as possible seems to enhance the intimacy of the experience. Similarly with HT.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Oooooh, yeah, every time I've used or visited a room with "lively" surfaces, it's been very noticeable and distracting for me. I'm even frustrated with the theater that came with my house when I bought it, simply because it's painted drywall walls. You can't get much livelier than hardwood floors, unless you do something like put mirrors on every wall.

Highly, HIGHLY recommend NOT doing hardwood floors in a critical listening/viewing area. Save those for the rest of the house.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

* the room is more alive
                Not a positive.

* music sounds better
                If that happens, it would be by accident.

No more or less than in a properly treated room, and/or if your sub is properly calibrated.

* less allergies, carpets are nasty bug repositories especially microscopic ones
                Irrelevant wrt to music reproduction.

* looks nicer and is easier to clean
                Irrelevant under any circumstances.
                greg (gd to you)
                Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• wettou
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • May 2006

When was the last time that you found a concert hall with carpet!!!!:B
                  Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

It's not the same, concert halls do not play recorded music.

Comment

• gd
                      • Jan 2003

And even at that, concert halls have room treatments up the gazoo.
                      Attached Files
                      greg (gd to you)
                      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Well, if I could get all my favorite artists and Hollywood stars to come perform for me in person, (like a concert hall) then I wouldn't mind hardwood floors in my theater.

Otherwise, I'm sticking with carpet.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

• wettou
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • May 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                          It's not the same, concert halls do not play recorded music.
                          I never said no room treatment I am just talking about floors that's all. :T

Comment

• oxcartdriver
                            • Apr 2006

I swapped out carpet for solid hardwood flooring in our great room last year. I do not like this room for critical listening, but after the swap I noted the following.

1) The increase in room reflections was significant. The home is 22x18x18 WxLxH and two walls are nearly 90% windows and no sound treatments. With so many reflections before the swap to hardwood I was amazed how much more the room echo'd post hardwood installation.

2) I use a velodyne sms-1 for sub correction/tuning. As a test we tested the sub in the room and were able to tune without issue.

3) Heat duct vibrations are a bit more noticable now with the the hardwood. Probably were there before, but the carpet damped the sound from feeding back into the room.

4) a 1in thick wool carpet which covers 50% of the floor was chosen for appearances only, but did significantly reduce the relections to nearly the level before hardwood installation.

Comment

• robert L
                              • Jul 2008

definetly carpet!!! the sound is much better sounding,when u go to theater rooms like in aa best buy or electronics expo they're always carpeted to absorb the sound not reflect it all over the place and sound tinny, but hardwood floors add value to your house so the win win is hardwoodfloors with a big area rug

Comment

• Azeke
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2003

I guess I throw in my vote for carpet or throw rugs at the least. Just check out any movie theater.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• june
                                  • Feb 2005

hello all,

so far the music sounds great. i listen to smooth jazz 90% of the time. the only movie i demo was die hard 4.0 (bluray). tonight will be heroes & terminator: sarah conners cons (dvr).
                                  June
                                  "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"

Comment

• DeepEndX
                                    • Feb 2005

I have hardwood floors and placed a rug on it. Rug would reduce reflection and lessen distortion

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"