X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aer0blue
    • Jul 2008

A bit lost... Could use some help!

Okay, so I'm not sure if this should be the place for this, but here goes.

I've been reading up on several home theater systems. The space is quite small (around 15x15ft), so I ended up finding this: http://www.bose.com/controller?event...t/theater/syst
    ems/surround/am6/features.jsp#tabs

Some people praise it as godly, while others said it's bad, saying how Bose is just a scam, etc. Any comments regarding this?

Also, I'm new to the whole home theater thing, and I found out that, depending on which receiver you have, the sound quality will change. What are these receivers for, precisely, and, are they necessary?

Help is much appreciated, even if it's just a link to a sort of "beginner's" guide. I have a budget of around $700-800 right now.
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

People that praise Bose are people who bought into their marketing. For $700-800, you can get a MUCH better system. HTguide is a very helpful community. And I'm sure there will be several suggestions following, but in all honesty, I think you will get better suggestions for that price at "an undisclosed location". The guys there love AV receivers and such a lot more than this community.

However, for recommendations...
    I take it that if you're looking at Bose, you're looking for something not so
    intrusive.
    Do you have a DVD player?
    Do you have a tv set?
    Are you looking for a 5.1 setup?
    What exactly are you trying to get out of this system?
    Last edited by Burke Strickland; 01 August 2008, 20:12 Friday. Reason: We are not here to advertise another HT forum.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

15x15 isn't that small for a HT system. I've seen full blown HT systems crammed into smaller rooms.

But to 2nd Audioqueso's comment, Bose is mostly marketing hype, peddling overpriced products that perform worse than competing brands.

The receiver (which is just a component that combines the preamp/processor, tuner, and speaker amps into a single box) is the central "brain" of a home theater system. Your sources (DVD player, cable/satellite box, game systems, etc.) hook up to the receiver, along with your TV and speakers, and is responsible for routing the signals to the appropriate places, decoding the surround sound (if any), and amplifying the signals to drive your speakers. So, your choice of receiver is important based on your needs, budget, etc.

The next most important item in terms of sound quality is your speakers. If you're looking at Bose systems, you probably want compact speakers. Check out the Anthony Gallo speakers, we've used them in several installs and they sound great (unlike Bose!). Another option is in-wall speakers, several companies make them and the better ones can sound great.

On the video side of things, you'll need a TV, flat panel display, or a projector. Do you have a TV already? If so, what kind?

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

My room is 12'x16' and I've got some large floor standing speakers and a center channel thats 44" wide with some pretty large surrounds planned for it :B Before these I had the Lineup Maxx's. 15x15 is plenty big for an awesome system.

Comment

• aer0blue
          • Jul 2008

Okay, first off, I'd like to start by thanking you all for taking the time to reply to my message. It's a lot of money for me and I don't wanna go ahead and buy whatever. : Anyhoo, to let everyone know, I'm mainly going to use the HT for gaming. I watch movies and other stuff from time to time, but that's mainly it. Well, here goes.

Originally posted by audioqueso
          People that praise Bose are people who bought into their marketing. For $700-800, you can get a MUCH better system. HTguide is a very helpful community. And I'm sure there will be several suggestions following, but in all honesty, I think you will get better suggestions for that price at www.avsforum.com. The guys there love AV receivers and such a lot more than this community.

However, for recommendations...
          I take it that if you're looking at Bose, you're looking for something not so
          intrusive.
          Do you have a DVD player?
          Do you have a tv set?
          Are you looking for a 5.1 setup?
          What exactly are you trying to get out of this system?
          It doesn't have to be as small as Bose's speakers. It's for my room, so it doesn't have to "blend" with the decor, or look cool or whatever. Not that I'm asking for speakers that are huge, but...you know. But I wouldn't mind them there standing out.

Yes, I have a DVD player. I use my Xbox360 as well as the PS3, not to mention a regular DVD player (Standard Definition).

I have an LCD HDTV... Vizio, to be precise.

I just want to have good sound when I play my games and watch movies. 5.1 is more than enough to be honest.

By the way, thanks for giving me that link! I'll be sure to check it out soon.

Originally posted by Kevin P
          15x15 isn't that small for a HT system. I've seen full blown HT systems crammed into smaller rooms.

But to 2nd Audioqueso's comment, Bose is mostly marketing hype, peddling overpriced products that perform worse than competing brands.

The receiver (which is just a component that combines the preamp/processor, tuner, and speaker amps into a single box) is the central "brain" of a home theater system. Your sources (DVD player, cable/satellite box, game systems, etc.) hook up to the receiver, along with your TV and speakers, and is responsible for routing the signals to the appropriate places, decoding the surround sound (if any), and amplifying the signals to drive your speakers. So, your choice of receiver is important based on your needs, budget, etc.

The next most important item in terms of sound quality is your speakers. If you're looking at Bose systems, you probably want compact speakers. Check out the Anthony Gallo speakers, we've used them in several installs and they sound great (unlike Bose!). Another option is in-wall speakers, several companies make them and the better ones can sound great.

On the video side of things, you'll need a TV, flat panel display, or a projector. Do you have a TV already? If so, what kind?
          Thanks for the info on the receiver... So it's pretty much necessary to get a good one, then. Seems this will be going over the $700 budget...or is it? Hah.

The speakers don't need to be compact necessarily. It's really for my room...and it's rather messy already. They may be wall-in, too. Doesn't matter.

I have a TV... LCD HDTV, Vizio.

Again, thanks a lot, guys. Or gals.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Well you can get a good used receiver. I just picked up a Sony STR-DA3300ES which accepts Lossless PCM over HDMI which your PS3 can output. It also has settings for 4 ohm speakers. I got mine for 450 shipped so you just have to look around.

Comment

• aer0blue
              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by Dougie085
              Well you can get a good used receiver. I just picked up a Sony STR-DA3300ES which accepts Lossless PCM over HDMI which your PS3 can output. It also has settings for 4 ohm speakers. I got mine for 450 shipped so you just have to look around.
              What makes a good receiver, though? I mean, how do I know? I don't want to end up asking someone each time I look at one...haha.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well if your looking for something used. I would honestly look for something like a Sony STR-DG1100 or higher the 1100 is basically the older version of my 3300 except mine has an extra HDMI port. Also look at used Pioneer Elites although harder to find those real cheap. Just look for a newer receiver with HDMI and then look in the manual and find out about 4ohm speakers. I know most of the upper end Sony's can handle them fine and they have settings for it in the menu. There are others though. Just look up the manual online and we don't really mind giving a yay or nay if you feel like asking.

Comment

• aer0blue
                  • Jul 2008

Well if your looking for something used. I would honestly look for something like a Sony STR-DG1100 or higher the 1100 is basically the older version of my 3300 except mine has an extra HDMI port. Also look at used Pioneer Elites although harder to find those real cheap. Just look for a newer receiver with HDMI and then look in the manual and find out about 4ohm speakers. I know most of the upper end Sony's can handle them fine and they have settings for it in the menu. There are others though. Just look up the manual online and we don't really mind giving a yay or nay if you feel like asking.
                  I see. Thanks for the tip! I'll certainly take a look around. However, question... When you say HDMI...you mean the STR-DG1100 has an HDMI input? Or output? I assume input, but even then, how would the setup go? PS3 -> Receiver -> TV?

Kind of confused, considering the HDMI output is also the PS3's video output...

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Yes you would connect the HDMI output of the receiver to the TV then your other HDMI devices connect to your Receivers HDMI inputs. The DA3300ES has 3 HDMI inputs while the DG1100ES has 2 inputs. The receiver handles all the video and audio switching. I'm guessing you've never used a receiver with video capabilities

Comment

• aer0blue
                      • Jul 2008

Yes you would connect the HDMI output of the receiver to the TV then your other HDMI devices connect to your Receivers HDMI inputs. The DA3300ES has 3 HDMI inputs while the DG1100ES has 2 inputs. The receiver handles all the video and audio switching. I'm guessing you've never used a receiver with video capabilities
                      Ah, that sure clears up my confusion. And to be honest with you, I've never used a receiver. I've always connected my consoles directly to the TV.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Well if you get a receiver with HDMI that can take PCM over HDMI then you can take advantage of the new lossless formats of blu-ray. So like DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.

Comment

• aer0blue
                          • Jul 2008

Well if you get a receiver with HDMI that can take PCM over HDMI then you can take advantage of the new lossless formats of blu-ray. So like DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD.
                          ...What's PCM, though?

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

it's basically the digital signal the audio is carried on.
                            -Chuck

Comment

• aer0blue
                              • Jul 2008

Also, if I get a 7.1 receiver, does it matter if I get a 5.1 speaker setup?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Nope they can do 7.1,6.1 and 5.1

Comment

• aer0blue
                                  • Jul 2008

Nope they can do 7.1,6.1 and 5.1
                                  Oh... That's great then, hahah. Also, thanks for your help on my seemingly countless questions... Here's another one!

Those seem to be pretty good, for the price, I believe. I don't see much of a difference on any, so I might end up going with the SR575. All I see is that the 575 is 80 watts, has a remote, one less HDMI input (which is fine with me) and decodes with DTS-HD, while the 506 goes with Dolby Pro Logic II. What's the difference to those two? Is it a major decision to choose between them?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

NEither of those will do the HD audio formats. Not even sure either of those will do audio over HDMI. How much total are you trying to spend? And for now your just going to do the 2 speakers and a receiver? Is that the plan?

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

As other mentioned, Bose = overpriced marketing crap.

I'll throw a recommendation out for the Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver as well. Has four HDMI 1.3a inputs, 1080i upconversion (Faroudja), Audyssey 2EQ room correction and 90 WPC X 7 all for about $500 new. It even supports the new sound formats mentioned earlier! You can also use the extra two amp channels in a 5.1 system to either run a second zone or bi-amp your mains. Great deal IMO :T

As for speakers, if your budget is really tight I'd suggest just getting a good pair of main stereo speakers and upgrade the centre/surrounds/sub later. There's lot's of good quality affordable speakers available from Energy, PSB, Paradigm, not to mention internet direct companies like SVS (who make FANTASTIC subs FYI) or AV123.
                                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

Here's the Onkyo I mentioned at CC:

Jason

Comment

• aer0blue
                                          • Jul 2008

NEither of those will do the HD audio formats. Not even sure either of those will do audio over HDMI. How much total are you trying to spend? And for now your just going to do the 2 speakers and a receiver? Is that the plan?
                                          I could just get the 5.1 setup, even if I have to wait a little. There's no rush for it. So the plan is a receiver and a 5.1...although I keep seeing people recommending a 2 speaker setup for starters. Now I'm a bit more confused.

Originally posted by aud19
                                          Here's the Onkyo I mentioned at CC:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/Sear...l&go.x=0&go.y=0
                                          Hey, thanks. Think thats a way better improvement than the ones I linked earlier?

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aer0blue
                                            I could just get the 5.1 setup, even if I have to wait a little. There's no rush for it. So the plan is a receiver and a 5.1...although I keep seeing people recommending a 2 speaker setup for starters. Now I'm a bit more confused.

Hey, thanks. Think thats a way better improvement than the ones I linked earlier?
                                            Point one: We're recommending a good 2 channel setup over a mediocre/crappy 5.1 channel setup. If you get good speakers they should last you 10+ years so if you're budget doesn't allow for good 5.1 IMO you'll be better of putting that money in to two good speakers. Do get a decent receiver and good 5.1 you're looking at $1200-$1500 on the low end IMO (without buying used anyway). So if $800'ish is your budget, IMO you're better off with a receiver and good pair of speakers, maybe if you can get a deal and stretch the budget a matching centre as well. Then you can use some cheap old speakers as surrounds until you have money to upgrade them and get a sub.

and two: It has another HDMI input, does scaling of analog sources to 1080i over HDMI, decodes the new HD surround formats, has more power. IMO those things make it a worthwhile improvement.
                                            Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

People are recommending just 2 speakers to start so you can stay within your budget and get 2 higher quality speakers vs. 6 mediocre ones.

That is what I would recommend also, 2 speakers (and a decent sub if you can swing it) will sound great for games and movies. You can then add as your budget allows.
                                              Danish

Comment

• dyazdani
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Oct 2005

Damnit, Jason...
                                                Danish

Comment

• aer0blue
                                                  • Jul 2008

Point one: We're recommending a good 2 channel setup over a mediocre/crappy 5.1 channel setup. If you get good speakers they should last you 10+ years so if you're budget doesn't allow for good 5.1 IMO you'll be better of putting that money in to two good speakers. Do get a decent receiver and good 5.1 you're looking at $1200-$1500 on the low end IMO (without buying used anyway). So if $800'ish is your budget, IMO you're better off with a receiver and good pair of speakers, maybe if you can get a deal and stretch the budget a matching centre as well. Then you can use some cheap old speakers as surrounds until you have money to upgrade them and get a sub.

and two: It has another HDMI input, does scaling of analog sources to 1080i over HDMI, decodes the new HD surround formats, has more power. IMO those things make it a worthwhile improvement.
                                                  Thanks for the support. I can safely assume Onkyo is pretty good, huh?
                                                  Anyway, it's okay, I don't need the 5.1 right now. I can wait it out 'till I make a bit more money. But yeah, thanks again for making that clear for me. I'm not looking for godly sound, but I don't want something mediocre either. Guess I'll go ahead and get that receiver first!

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                                    • May 2008

If you are not against buying a refurb and can purchase online, I would suggest looking at ShopOnkyo http://shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1
                                                    They have the Tx-SR606 for $369 refurbished. And when you join ShopOnkyo they give you 10 points ($10) off your first purchase. so it would be $359. That is a really good deal on that receiver. I have heard/read nothing but positive things about Onkyo's refurb units.
                                                    Maybe free up some $ for better speakers. :B

Comment

• aer0blue
                                                      • Jul 2008

I'm rather neutral on the refurb issue, but considering there's an extended warranty of 2 years, I'ma go for it. Thanks for the link, I think I'll go ahead and get that one. I'm just glad it'll last me some years. Good investment...right?

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                                        • May 2008

YES! I have had 2 onkyo's ( unfortunately I found ShopOnkyo after I purchased). You wont be dissapointed. Thats a realy good deal.
                                                        Almost bought it for my mom inlaw. NOT!!

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                                          • May 2008

heres another good deal on that receiver.http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/538499144
                                                          It ships free so you might save a little going with Vanns. Depends on ShopOnkyo's shiping costs. Just a thought. But vanns may charge tax if there is a Vanns store in your state.

Comment

• aer0blue
                                                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by tylerdurden
                                                            heres another good deal on that receiver.http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...ures/538499144
                                                            It ships free so you might save a little going with Vanns. Depends on ShopOnkyo's shiping costs. Just a thought. But vanns may charge tax if there is a Vanns store in your state.
                                                            Weird, Vanns wouldn't ship to Puerto Rico...and even if they did, I'm sure they'd charge shipping. Not to mention they didn't offer the extended warranty. $430 was paid... Finished my order. I'd like to thank everyone that helped me out on this. I had been looking around for some days, and upon further reading on the Onkyo 606, I can see it's a safe purchase.

I'll be seeing you guys again soon when I decide to get speakers.
                                                            Or, why wait?

Go ahead and recommend some good 5.1 setups for me! Haha.

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by aer0blue
                                                              I'm not looking for godly sound, but I don't want something mediocre either.
                                                              Oh for godly sound you're looking at separate processor and amplifiers and speakers that cost more than a car :lol:

Congrats on the receiver purchase, should be a good unit for many years and yes Onkyo makes a nice unit :T

Speakers... take a look/listen at B&W, Energy Kef, PSB, Paradigm, Totem... those are some of my favourite brands. There's also the internet companies I mentioned earlier.
                                                              Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Oh for godly sound you're looking at separate processor and amplifiers and speakers that cost more than a car :lol:

I resent that remark! The new speakers I'm working on are going to cost around 1400 for a pair of mains and I would gladly put them up against just about anything from B&W or Paradigm or what not. Maybe even the 800 series but I've not heard them although the B&W stuff I did hear I thought was a bit over rated.

Unless your talking about an extremely cheap beater....in which case disregard that last comment :B

Comment

• GregLett
                                                                  • May 2005

I resent that remark! The new speakers I'm working on are going to cost around 1400 for a pair of mains and I would gladly put them up against just about anything from B&W or Paradigm or what not. Maybe even the 800 series but I've not heard them although the B&W stuff I did hear I thought was a bit over rated.

Unless your talking about an extremely cheap beater....in which case disregard that last comment :B
                                                                  Now ya gonna start with the B&W boys??
                                                                  Greg

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

To each their own Honestly I think if your happy with it then thats all that matters. Me personally I would never be happy spending 10k or more on speakers I mean I love audio...but I love DIY so much that I don't think I could ever spend that much on speakers as well.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2003

Well I was thinking something like Martin Logan Summits or maybe the Genesis 6 series with six Classe CA-M400 400W monaural amplifiers for the front three channels (bi-amped) and a couple CA-2200's for the surround channels :B
                                                                      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Jan 2006

Thats not godly thats just ridiculous :B

Comment

• aud19
                                                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Aug 2003
                                                                          • 16706

So ridiculous you just might wet yourself upon hearing it :rofl:
                                                                          Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Jan 2006
                                                                            • 16073

Doubt it....might keel over and die if I saw the price

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • May 2007
                                                                              • 1877

#39
                                                                              Well I was thinking something like Martin Logan Summits or maybe the Genesis 6 series with six Classe CA-M400 400W monaural amplifiers for the front three channels (bi-amped) and a couple CA-2200's for the surround channels :B
                                                                              Hey, you left out Sound Labs loudspeakers. :B Love their sound. Can't afford'em but wish I could.
                                                                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Jan 2006
                                                                                • 16073

#40
                                                                                How about 7 of those B&W snail speakers?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"