X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmanindfw
    • Apr 2006

Team Event...Need Help Convincing Bose User

...to go DIY.

My very soon-to-be father-in-law (June 3...yikes) just bought his SECOND Bose system. He is retired and has been considering setting up a dedicated media room. I have told him on several occassions that he should consider a DIY system (speakers and sub) for huge performance and possibly cost advantages. While never getting into the details of actually putting the so-called pieces together of a design or kit for him, he agreed (in the past) to look at doing something different than Bose (God I hate that word) before buying anything. Well I just found out last night that he had bought a new Bose system...I want to pull my hair out! Never even consulted me.

Now I am in reactive mode and need to try and get him to return it...wish me plenty of luck. I am trying to find some good research and/or links to sway him into DIY. I know there are tons out there. The thing is that he has all the necessary tools (more so than me) to build his own system and has plenty of time (retired). I really think this is a project he would enjoy and I am even willing to commit my own time and effort to help. So guys start piling up the ammo to try and sway him. Also if you have any recommendations of kits please forward on. I would say small monitors (smaller the better) maybe 2 ways with a 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 mid/woofer would be ideal. Aesthetics will be a key component as well. Remember we are trying to convert him

Thanks in advance.
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

People who buy Bose are happy with Bose. It is futile to argue with them.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• dmanindfw
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
      People who buy Bose are happy with Bose. It is futile to argue with them.
      Maybe...but doesn't hurt to try and convert right. Maybe he doesn't just doesn't want to listen to ME. Remember I am taking his daughter away...bahaha.

He has bought into the Bose "religion" (aka their marketing) but he can be swayed...I have (very little) confidence

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

Just have him over to hear and watch your own system. If it's possible to sway him based on sound quality, he'll sell himself.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Dennis H
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Aug 2002

Talking probably won't do it. You need to take some good speakers and an amp over to his house so he can hear the difference. Good commercial speakers are okay. Once he hears the difference, you can tell him he'll save money with DIY.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
            Just have him over to hear and watch your own system. If it's possible to sway him based on sound quality, he'll sell himself.
            And if it doesn't work, then there really is no hope...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the comment, "Well, it's good enough for me."

I want to tell them - Pay me the $2000, I'll keep $1500, kick you in the $@#! :nutkick: , and buy you a $500 HTIB that sounds better...
            Danish

Comment

• dmanindfw
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              True very true...2 problems...my sub (DIY) is not up to specs right now (see my other thread)...ferrets like tearing up surrounds Right now I am waiting on my 15" Titanic to arrive to replace my injured Tempest.

Secondly, I can't say that my M&K's are DIY, impressive as they may be.

Comment

• dmanindfw
                • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
                And if it doesn't work, then there really is no hope...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard the comment, "Well, it's good enough for me."

I want to tell them - Pay me the $2000, I'll keep $1500, kick you in the $@#! :nutkick: , and buy you a $500 HTIB that sounds better...
                You're absolutely right...those Bose systems are quite expensive. It's amazing the mark-up they get out of those cheesy systems.

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well you cant convince the blind. Most people just dont care.

Comment

• HMenke
                    • Feb 2006

I don't know his age, but it could be he has some hearing loss and the Bose is fine by him.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"