X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Bose specs

I can not find the specs on any Bose systems does anyone know the specs on any of their latest systems?
    Last edited by comeup; 05 March 2006, 21:12 Sunday.
    Blake
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

they don't release Bose (Better Off Something Else, Box Of Shitty Electronics) specs. Bose likes to sell their systems based on easy to use interfaces and features. they keep wattage and frequency range in their systems secret.

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Their stuff would never sell on the merits of their specs, especially at the price range they demand.

Their $1500 Acoustimass systems, for example, have specs comparable to a $200 set of computer speakers.

Comment

• Alaric
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Sold them for a while

I worked for a Bose dealer for a while , and was told Bose tries very hard not to give out specs-somebody might read them! I have seen some numbers but it's been a while so I don't remember them. On the retail end , we were encouraged (to put it mildly) to move the conversation away from direct comparisons and go into "Glengarry Glen Ross" mode immediately. The closest we got to measuring SQ was the phrase "No highs , no lows-must be Blose". Bearing in mind this is a most subjective hobby. Some customers just loved the stuff . After spending $4000.00 on the "Lifestyle" system they may have convinced themselves of that.
        The vocal reproduction is very forward , and some folks find that a good thing for HT. Also , we sold some really low end stuff , so the Bose wasn't bad by comparison. I will say , for the money , you can get better stuff. My Onkyo HTIB retails for $650.00 and is a much better deal-and my HTIB is not very good. We concentrated on high markup products like HK and Bose ' cause they paid the salesman well. My $.02
        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
        Schiit Modi 3
        Marantz CD5005
        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

Have a friend thats interested in the Bose that dosen't know too much about HT and I'm trying to tell him that he could get those baby B&Ws the siver ones a receiver and a sub that would smoke the Bose for less money two grand to be exact. The Bose system he wants cost 3 grand. He's starting to listen but he's stuck on the Bose syndrome.
          Blake

Comment

• Alaric
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

That's a shame....

My budget 2 channel (25 wpc , Class A) with some reasonably priced speakers and a good CD player will blow huge , smoking holes in the Bose factory walls
            . I'm up to $3200.00 and I overpaid for the speakers 'cause I liked the cherry finish. My Paradigm Studio 60 v.3s actually have a better "surround" effect than the Bose Lifestyle 38 system . They also produce about 10x more bass. The Bose Acoustimass module is a pair of 6.5" semi-woofers and the worst crossover in the known universe . (an exaggeration , but not by much) The only thing the Bose has is a hard drive you can rip CDs to-but they sound like crap upon playback so who cares?
            Seriously , this forum has enough experience and knowledge to set your friend up with a very nice HT. Have him join us and ask around-nothing but friends here and no agenda but great audio.

P.S. At $500.00 (my cost) my Onkyo HT-S787C puts out 7.1 channels and claims 110 wpc. An optimistic spec , but likely still better than Bose. Also came with a 10" , 230 watt mud...err...sub. The speakers are probably the weakest point. It also came with a 6 disc changer.(DVD , DVD-R[W] ,SACD , CD, CD+/-R[W]) Not state-of-the-art by a long shot , but I would choose it over Blose even if the cost were the same. My $.02 "Friends don't let friends buy Bose!" :lol:
            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
            Schiit Modi 3
            Marantz CD5005
            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• comeup
              • Jul 2005

Bose sound o.k. but the price that they want is what disturbs me its just not worth the cost........

When this thread comes to an end he will be reading it.
              Blake

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Sound&Vision test of the AcoustiMass 15

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Actually, they didn't always hide the specs. I bought a pair of 501s Series III back in 1980/81. The place was going out of business so I got them at 50% off retail, which was ( if i recall correctly ) around $450-$500 for the pair. Specs say it has one 10" long excursion woofer and two 3" tweeters. Power rating is 100 watts. Crosover transition frequencies 1.5kHz and 2.5kHz. I still use these for 2 channel music listening only and I have always liked their performance in my room. I never did try them in the theater so can't say how well they'd do there.

Now I know more about speakers today and what you can get for your money, so I probably wouldn't buy 'em today, even at half price. In the meantime, though, I am quite satisfied with the music they deliver and doubt I will replace them as long as they continue to perform.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• P-Dub
                    Office Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Here's a page that did a pretty write up on Bose:

SATELLITES
                    Frequency Response: 280 Hz to 13.3k Hz at ±10.5 dB
                    Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter)* 85.1 dB
                    Impedance (minimum/nominal) 5.3/8 ohms
                    Bass Limits (-3/-6 dB) 280/220 Hz

* measured with 2.8 volts of pink-noise input

BASS MODULE
                    Frequency Response: 46Hz to 202Hz at ±2.3 dB
                    Sensitivity (SPL at 1 meter): N/A
                    Impedance (minimum/nominal): N/A
                    Bass Limits (-3/-6 dB): 46/40 Hz

See the full article here:

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• comeup
                      • Jul 2005

Paul

Thanks for the website I just finished reading it, it was great., its printing as I type. I'll be taking it to work tomorrow.

again thanks
                      Blake

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"