X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Emotiva XPA-3!!!

Ok so I know a lot of you have been interested in the XPA series. 2 days ago I ordered the XPA-3 and it arrives tomorrow! I can't wait! Although I won't be able to listen to it I can at least take some pictures and comment on the build quality. In about a month and a half I should be able to comment completely on the sound quality compared to my Chip Amp and compared to some Rotel stuff probably. And if any of you happen to be in the PGH area I'm sure our next get together at bills the XPA-3 will make a presence. This amp is a beast thats for sure it will do 400wpc @4 ohms when run in 2 channel. And if all 3 channels are used its 300wpc @4 ohms and it weights 71 lbs. Crazy goodness! Anyways I'll post pics and keep you guys updated.
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Sweet dougie let us know what you think. It's free shipping correct? I'm about this || close to to pulling the trigger on the UPA-7, and I think it's pretty similiar construction.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Yeah unless you really need the 7 channels I'd go for the XPA-5 as its got a beefier PSU I believe. But yeah free shipping for a few more days here I think until the 30th.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

hmm I may have to think on that... thanks for the heads up
        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Yeah just a thought I mean if your short on cash then I guess the UPA-7 is a bit cheaper? I'm sure they are both excellent amps though :B

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

I moved my question over to my build thread as to not muddy up your XPA-3 glory
            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Well FedEx effed up my package. They scanned it to be delivered and put on the truck but then had it sent over for a map or something and it never got put on the truck. Long story short I wait all day for this package and its not coming until tomorrow now. At least they didn't do what USPS did which is come to my door stick a notice on it and then leave without even knocking.

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Well it finally came...all I can say is WOW this thing is quite large :B I was not expecting the size. It is very heavy too...I can't imagine carrying the XPA-5 or worse the MPS-2.

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

awesome man :T
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Build quality is awesome! Easily on par or better then Rotel and a lot of the receivers I've seen and used. The packaging is awesome too! That big white piece thats on top is a big piece of foam with cardboard on top. Pretty much completely wrapped in foam. I can't wait to hear this beast.

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Nice looking amp. :T
                      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

What a beast!

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

Just got the receiver. A bit of a problem with the way it was packed but everything seems ok there was a little damage it seems to the tone knob.... I'm asking him for a partial refund before I file a complaint with paypal.

Comment

• impala454
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007

dude is that a strong cardboard box or what... you've got to have at least 120 lbs sitting on the corner of it.. or am I not seeing something else they're sitting on?
                            -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Yeah its got what........about 100lbs sitting on it right now Thats the internal box for the XPA-3 haha! Its some quality cardboard thats for sure.

Comment

• impala454
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Oct 2007

close that sucker back up and put a sub in it... :rofl:
                                -Chuck

Comment

• Glen B
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                  Yeah its got what........about 100lbs sitting on it right now Thats the internal box for the XPA-3 haha! Its some quality cardboard thats for sure.
                                  Nice acquisition; fantastic looking amp. In all my years I can't recall ever seeing factory double-boxing. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Well this amp is something else..... I'm beginning to love Emotiva. They own their factory so I guess thats how they sell things so cheap by skipping all the people and markup but you would not guess it looking at this amp. It is really top quality.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                      • May 2008

Thanks for posting this Dougie! I love company's like this. They remind me of OPPO. I am supprised more dont operate like they do, cutting out the middleman. There is nothing lost in the exchange of hands, as you often see in mainstream consumer electronics. It always feels impersonal and cold. With company's like Emotiva, you can build a relationship with the manufacturer and nothing is lost.
                                      I AM going to get one of these. Just need to get the wifes aproval, I am taking her to Seattle saturday for dinner (surf and turf) and to see The Dark Knight at Imax. I think I will break it to her then. Wish me luck!
                                      Bobby

So what speakers are you looking at?

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

I'm building some speakers they are going to be MTMWWWW's using 4 Hivi D6.8's for the woofers Tang band W4-1337SA's for mids and the new double magnet Vifa XT25 for tweeter. If you plan to get the XPA amps get the XPA-5 unless you plan on getting the XPA-2 later (I've heard its got a better sound due to the fact that it is way over built for a 2 channel amp) I may still get an XPA-5 and bi-amp my front speakers or I may get an XPA-2 and run my mains of it and leave the XPA-3 for center and surrounds.

Another thing I like about Emotiva is that they are constantly talking about things they are working on in the forums and users can easily move them to make changes damn near on the fly before they get the demo unit. I've seen this happen a couple of times for the upcomming pre/pro's.

Comment

• tylerdurden
                                          • May 2008

OOOOOhh those sound nice!! Im drooling. cant wait to see them.
                                          Thats good advice. Origanaly I was leaning towards the XPA-3 for LCR of the ZDT3.5's and center I am building. And then getting the 2 channel when I decide on what surounds I will build/buy. But the 5 is probably the way to go.
                                          Enjoy your new toy!!

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Unfortunately I won't be enjoying them until the new speakers are built lol.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2007

Dougie,
                                              Wow, gorgeous amp there! So how do you plan on using the receiver? I'm guessing as a surround sound processor and to temporarily drive the some rear channel speakers?
                                              John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• audioqueso
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Well... hook something to it and fire it up. I'm curious to know what it sounds like.
                                                B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2007

Originally posted by audioqueso
                                                  Well... hook something to it and fire it up. I'm curious to know what it sounds like.
                                                  Not sure, but I think he is currently speakerless :boohoo: since he sold his Maxxs. He's building new ones soon though.
                                                  John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2006

Yes new speakers are ~1.5 months off probably unfortunately. I wish I had some extra speakers lol. What I get for having 2 kids

The Sony is being used as a Pre/Pro for the time being and yes when I build the surrounds it will probably serve as an amp for them until I get the XPA-2 or an XPA-5 if I decide I want to Bi-Amp the front stage. I've heard the XPA-2 is a whole other beast though compared to the 3/5. The XPA-1 comes out soon that that things a monster... 500w RMS x1 @8 ohms and like 1000 w RMS x1 @4ohms.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Dec 2000

Wow, yeah, that's quite a beast.
                                                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• JohnA
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Glen B
                                                        Nice acquisition; fantastic looking amp. In all my years I can't recall ever seeing factory double-boxing. :T
                                                        The Yamaha RX-Z9 I bought was doubled boxed from Yamaha, and it was also some HD cardboard on the outer box and was spaced about 4" from the inner box with styrofoam. The outer box was so big it would not even come close to fitting in the trunk of a full sized 1996 Crown Vic to where you could also close the trunk lid. And trust me, for a car a late model Crown Vic has a one big honking trunk. From what I can tell the flagship Denon AVR is doubled boxed, and that their new seperate line with the pre-pro and the power amp for it is also double boxed.

I think the when the gear starts getting upwards of 65lb to 75lb's, they almost have to start double boxing the stuff from the factories, just to avoid a bunch of $$$$$ shipping damage claims if nothing else.

Now for some serious packaging for amps, Earthquake goes way beyond using cardboard boxes. And all the way to using a HD reusable wood shipping crate.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2006

Yeah the RX-Z9 is like tons more money too I guess you just don't see products with a price tag this low packaged that well. Of course you don't normally see products priced this low performing as well as people have said these do either.

Comment

• JohnA
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                            Yeah the RX-Z9 is like tons more money too I guess you just don't see products with a price tag this low packaged that well. Of course you don't normally see products priced this low performing as well as people have said these do either.

I don't think it has as much to do with the price of the product, as it does the weight. When anything starts getting in the 60lb-70lb weight range and heavier, when it's in the size of a bigger audio amp or a AVR. Then the chances of it getting damaged during shipping also grow along with their greater weights over the lighter weight models. So for the company to spend the extra money to double box some of them, it probably ends up saving them a lot of money and also headachs in the long run due to reduced damage from shipping.

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2000

Welcome to the club Dougie085!

I'm very happy with my LPA-1, I'm sure the XPA-3 will be just as nice or better.
                                                              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• maseline_98
                                                                • Apr 2005

XMAS gift for me and my Klipsch?

MPS-2? I think it might be under the tree this year

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                                                Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

_____________________________
                                                                “Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Einstein

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2006

Awesome! I hope you like it!

Comment

• impala454
                                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                                    • Oct 2007

So I was checking my fedex tracking info (XPA-5 should be here today) and it showed 89 lbs! :E
                                                                    -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2006

Yep the 5 does weight more...I was thinking about sending back my XPA-3 in exchange for an XPA-5 but I would have to pay shipping and I decided I'd just get an XPA-2 when the time comes

Comment

• impala454
                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2007

well I was wondering why, when I was looking at the weight on their site it showed the same as the XPA-3... must just be a type or copy/paste.
                                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Jan 2006
                                                                          • 16073

Yeah it should be a few pounds heavier as it has extra wire and 2 extra amp modules in it.

Comment

• aud19
                                                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2003
                                                                            • 16706

That would kill me having that new gear there with no speakers to listen to it with!!!
                                                                            Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                                              • Jan 2006
                                                                              • 16073

#39
                                                                              Yeah tell me about it..... Trying to see if my friend has an extra pair of speakers laying around...he has an extra set of everything just about. I have 4 of his amps right lol.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2007
                                                                                • 3814

#40
                                                                                So the XPA-5 arrived! These are the only pictures I took so, I'm not hooking up tonight because I still have to finish the speakers, and also because I hurt my back the other day and figure lugging this 89 pounder around wouldn't be a good idea for a couple days (gives me time to finish up the monitors).

This thing is a beast!!!

:-y :righton: :a> ;-x
                                                                                -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Jan 2006
                                                                                  • 16073

#41
                                                                                  I told you it was huge :B

Comment

• John Holmes
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Aug 2000
                                                                                    • 2703

#42
                                                                                    Congrats Impala454!
                                                                                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• wettou
                                                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 3389

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by impala454
                                                                                      So the XPA-5 arrived! These are the only pictures I took so, I'm not hooking up tonight because I still have to finish the speakers, and also because I hurt my back the other day and figure lugging this 89 pounder around wouldn't be a good idea for a couple days (gives me time to finish up the monitors)
                                                                                      Let us know how it sound!! I am looking to get the RPA-2 do you have any specs!:T
                                                                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Jan 2006
                                                                                        • 16073

#44
                                                                                        I don't think much has been released about the RPA-2. The MPS-2 is supposed to be amazingly good but not quite the bass punch as the XPA and I thought about ordering it but then decided to just go with the XPA series.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2007
                                                                                          • 3814

#45
                                                                                          Unfortunately I wrecked my back the other day so I haven't gotten to work on my speakers. Hopefully it'll clear up in a couple days and I can get it all fired up!
                                                                                          -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"