X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sparrow
    • Feb 2011

Statements + Emotiva Amps

Howdy guys, my first post here looking for some advice regarding Statement speakers driven by Emotiva power amps.

I have narrowed down my build to a pair of Statement fronts, Statement CC x2 for front & rear centre channel plus 4x Statement Monitors for effect speakers.

Are these speakers capable of handling the power out put from the Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-5 = 200w @ 8ohms, 300w @4 ohms ???

Would aslo like some input regarding using Scanspeak HDS for tweeters instead of the ribbons .... has anyone done this before ??? any advantage or disadvantage ??? :E
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

You should be fine, power isn't quite what most people think.

Comment

• Sparrow
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Dougie085
      You should be fine, power isn't quite what most people think.
      Thanks Dougie :T going from 105w per channel @ 8ohms that my Denon AVR puts out & 'upgrading' to the Emotiva separate power amp rated 300w @ 4ohms ... I have some concerns :E

I don't seem to have seen any power handling capabilites posted for any of the 'Statement' speakers .... I am assuming they do like most speakers ... sound better over powered, rather than underpowered ???

Comment

• AdelaaR
        • Dec 2010

WOW! 2 big statements + 2 statement CC's + 4 statement monitors?
        Did you win the lottery or something?

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

There are many that are using high powered amps ranging from Emotiva to Plinius. I'm using an Emotiva LPA-1 that does a great job on my pair.

To answer your question regarding the ribbon to tweeter swap. No, it would require that the crossover be redesigned. I think you'll find the ribbon to be exceptional sounding.

Jim

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

going from 105w per channel @ 8ohms that my Denon AVR puts out & 'upgrading' to the Emotiva separate power amp rated 300w @ 4ohms ... I have some concerns
            The logic using big amps is similar to a politically charged one: Big amps don't blow woofers, people do. Keeping your volume at a reasonable level your speakers will be fine.

The advantage of the larger amp is more headroom so you won't clip transients because of the ability to deliver more current to the speakers at impedance dips and deliver larger voltage swings.

Like AdelaaE, I wish I had your budget.

Comment

• sawdust
              • May 2009

Originally posted by Sparrow
              Howdy guys, my first post here looking for some advice regarding Statement speakers driven by Emotiva power amps.

I have narrowed down my build to a pair of Statement fronts, Statement CC x2 for front & rear centre channel plus 4x Statement Monitors for effect speakers.

Are these speakers capable of handling the power out put from the Emotiva XPA-3 & XPA-5 = 200w @ 8ohms, 300w @4 ohms ???

Would aslo like some input regarding using Scanspeak HDS for tweeters instead of the ribbons .... has anyone done this before ??? any advantage or disadvantage ??? :E
              I'm using XPA-1's with the full Statements and an XPA-3 for the Statement center and two non-Statement surrounds. The XPA-1's are capable of delivering 500 watts into 8 ohms and 1000 watts into a 4 ohm load. I listen plenty loud and have never had a problem.... just killer dynamics and wow imaging! You'll be fine. :T

Comment

• BeerParty
                • Oct 2008

What sort of space are you putting these in? 8O

You do realize that the Statements need 18 inches behind the rear baffle, so they can NOT be wall mounted. The space behind the Monitors can be reduced to 12 inches with the near wall crossover, but the Statement Center cannot. So the front of the 'effect speakers' will have to be at least 24 inches away from the wall, and the front of the rear center channel at least 30 inches.
                Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

HDS tweeter.... has anyone done this before ???
                  The Dynamic Series speakers use the HDS tweeter, but they don't use RS225s or have open back mid tunnels.
                  Show off your speaker projects by posting the details and images of your creations. We encourage you to discuss with the speaker project designer his methods and results.

Comment

• Sparrow
                    • Feb 2011

WOW ... thank you all for you guidance .... this is my first foray into building my own speakers & am astounded by the amount of free technical expertise there is here in cyberspace ... makes the whole prospect of taking on such a project a whole less daunting as I don't have to try re-inventing the wheel. I have been reading avidly this & other forums getting myself 'informed' as to what I want to achieve & more importantly ... HOW to do so :T

Originally posted by BeerParty
                    What sort of space are you putting these in? 8O

You do realize that the Statements need 18 inches behind the rear baffle, so they can NOT be wall mounted. The space behind the Monitors can be reduced to 12 inches with the near wall crossover, but the Statement Center cannot. So the front of the 'effect speakers' will have to be at least 24 inches away from the wall, and the front of the rear center channel at least 30 inches.
                    I have a large rectangular lounge that I can accommodate the type of system I looking for. I very much appreciate your input as to placement as it is important to get such advice instead of setting it out all wrong & being disappointed with the end result :E My current set up is a pair of Dali 710 as main fronts, a Dynaudio Audience C120 front centre, an older Energy centre rear & a couple of Jamo BX200 for rear 'effects' ... quite a mish mash of older 'upgrades' that have been 're-positioned' when something newer has come along :-) my rear centre is currently mounted on the rear wall facing directly down over MY seating position.

Originally posted by AdelaaR
                    WOW! 2 big statements + 2 statement CC's + 4 statement monitors?
                    Did you win the lottery or something?
                    I WISH !!! .... no have just moved house into a much bigger place on 5 acres ... so have the room now to have the 'toys' I want ! I live in the South West of Western Australia ... a little bit of paradise far away from the maddening crowds, NO crime, no violence ... just a nice SAFE place to bring up kids. I am in the process of importing from Emotiva when they have stock again, a UMC-1 & XPA-5 ... the bummer is the freight costs ... nearly $500 USD just for delivery for both. Hopefully be a nice replacement for my old Denon AVR3802 that I bought brand new many moons ago :-)

Originally posted by Jim Holtz
                    There are many that are using high powered amps ranging from Emotiva to Plinius. I'm using an Emotiva LPA-1 that does a great job on my pair.
                    To answer your question regarding the ribbon to tweeter swap. No, it would require that the crossover be redesigned. I think you'll find the ribbon to be exceptional sounding.

Jim
                    Thanks Jim & Jed, I have ribbon tweeters in the Dali 710's I currently have ... so maybe I am just better off keeping with the tried & proven design. I did have my heart set on using ALL Peerless HDS drivers but they seem to be difficult to source now so instead of going down that road I think it makes more sense to build all 'Statement' series as designed & proven by many people here !!!

Do the 'sealed' Statements sound the same as the vented version & would they allow placement closer to the wall ???

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Do the 'sealed' Statements sound the same as the vented version & would they allow placement closer to the wall ???
                      The sealed Statements are designed to be used with sub(s) and have an F/3 of around 50hz rather than the low 30's of the ported version. I would recommend sub(s) regardless of the version you decide to build for home theater use.

The sealed and ported versions sound the same with the only difference being bass extension. placement requirements are the same for either version.

If placement is a problem, Jed has many designs that are also highly regarded and offer more flexible placement requirements. Check out his website.

Good luck with whatever you decide to build! :T

Jim

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"