X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scarpi
    • Jul 2008

B&K Ref 30 preamp problem

I have a B&K Reference 30 running software version 2.11. I've been experiencing a problem with the volume. It seems the unit keeps increasing the volume on its own. The display actually changes and shows the volume level increasing from -20 to -15, then -10 etc. Sometimes I've seen it show where it slightly decreases the volume but it mostly increases it. This is during 5 channel movie and 2 channel music listening. This unit was sent to B&K about two years ago and they said they could not duplicate the problem. So they upgraded the software to 2.11 and replaced a couple of parts that they thought might cause the problem and sent it back to me. Well now its at it again. An interesting thing about this problem is that it will also do this even when all the other components are shut off except the preamp. And I found out that by unplugging the unit for about a half hour, and then turning it back on, the problem is gone for a few days. Weird huh? Maybe the power cord is picking up some interference from the other components power cords since those are bundled together. I will isolate the unit's power cord from the others and see if the problem goes away. Anybody got any ideas or have any of you B&K users experienced this problem. Thanks.
    Last edited by scarpi; 23 July 2008, 11:37 Wednesday.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That is strange. I'm not sure what is going on there. But one thing you can always count on, the symptoms never show up while your at the doctor!

Maybe it knows the Reference 70 about to hit the streets and is getting a little nervous. :P

Okay, enough of that. I think your only option is to call B&K. I'm not sure at this stage if it's worth repairing. Especially since you'll have to pay for the shipping too (I assume it's out of warranty). I do know it's too much live with. So just maybe it time to look at a new unit.

If it was me, unless it was warranty work, I'd begin my search for something else. And to be honest, the Ref 70 would not be on that list as it stands right now. But that's another thread!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• scarpi
      • Jul 2008

John, thanks for your reply. I did call B&K yesterday and they told me to try a system reset which basically erases all your settings. Well I did that and it did not fix the problem, but it did show me that the problem was more extensive than I originally thought. Not only does the unit change the volume on its own, but it also changes the settings that are in memory. I found this out because before doing the reset, I went through the menus to write down all of my settings so after the reset I could just enter them again. When I was in the setup menu, I watched the unit on its own change the settings for speaker size and distance and many other things randomly. So it appears that this unit has a mind of its own! Well today I again called B&K and they gave me a return authorization number and I sent the unit to them for an evaluation. They will call me with a repair estimate. So here I am with a brand new B&K Reference 200.5 series two amp that I just bought last week and now I have no preamp. Oh well, that's life!

Comment

• John Holmes
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

No Problem. :T Let's hope it's a simple fix.

I do undertsand your frustration of not being able to play with the new toy also. I have gone through it myself at one time or another. Hang in there!
        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• scarpi
          • Jul 2008

The funny thing about all this is that I have a cheap system in a spare room that I use if my main gear has a problem. The expensive gear has had some problems two or three times over the years and everytime this happens I go back to my system that consists of a $50 cd/dvd player, a $150 Sony receiver, and a pair of bookshelf JBL speakers that cost $130/pair at Best Buy. It has never failed me and at least it allows me to enjoy music while I wait for any repairs on the good stuff!

Comment

• scarpi
            • Jul 2008

Well I still haven't heard from B&K yet on the problem with my ref 30 or the cost to fix it. They received it 7/31 in the am per the UPS tracking number. They initially told me it would be 7 to 10 days to fix a problem, but I still don't even know what the problem is. And here my system sits with their new five channel amp waiting in place.

Comment

• scarpi
              • Jul 2008

I finally broke down and called B&K to see how it was going. They were very nice and told me they have replaced volume control components and other devices and are installing the latest upgrades to bring it up to the latest specs for the unit. And they told me as we speak it was on the test bench checking it out to make sure there are no problems and they will call me next week when it is done. They did not mention the cost and they did not call me before the repairs to get an OK on the cost of the repair. Could it be they are repairing it at no cost to me since it was returned to them once before while it was under warranty for the same problem. That would be nice! Hope to soon have my system back together again.

Comment

• RenoReno2
                • Jan 2005

Good luck with that I'm crossing my fingers for you

Comment

• scarpi
                  • Jul 2008

Not to prolong this thread, but B&K called me today and told me that the unit is working fine after replacing the parts they did, installing the latest software, and testing it. The important point that I really appreciate is that they fixed the preamp at no charge even though it was about two years out of warranty. Yeah I know it was returned to them previously while under warranty for the same problem but to me this shows the company cares and their customer service is great. I'm really glad that I purchased their new amp and I can't wait to get my repaired ref 30 back in my system with it. Thanks B&K! ;x(

Comment

• John Holmes
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Congrats, scarpi!

B&K is a class act for sure. It's service like this that makes the choice to go elseware difficult. I'm not happy with some decisions B&K have made with the Ref. 70. The price and lack of current processing are reall issues for me. However, their sound and excellent CS is hard to ignore.

Let us know what you think after you've had a little time with it again.

Comment

• scarpi
                      • Jul 2008

Got my Ref 30 back yesterday. Put it back in the system today. Awesome with my new 200.5 amp. Seems to be working fine so far! The resolution is clean, bass is deep and tight, background is quiet, treble is extended and clean. I listen to cds and vinyl in the direct two channel mode and movies in the 5 channel THX mode and am loving it! Glad to have my system back. And they did repair it free out of warranty. Good people at B&K. :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"