X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BW4me
    • Nov 2005

Advice needed: repair or replace unit?

I have a DTR 5.5 paired with B&W CDMNT series speakers in 5.1 sound.

Last April began having problems with unit just days before warranty ran out. Problem: unit turned on by itself and would switch between various play modes by itself. I got unit repaired under warranty, shipping included. Some typed of computer circuit chip was replaced and something else.

Now, just a couple week ago the same thing started happening all over again. I call service shop to find out what it would cost (assuming it was the exact part failure again) to have it fixed. Cost of previous repair was about $300. So I may be looking at that plus shipping both ways out of state. And it may just be a problem with this particular unit that could happen again.

So I'm weighing repair against buying something else, even used but better. What would be a comparable unit to what I have or a step up? I'm open to other brands, but I'll probably have to by something used.

Thanks for any help.

Steve
  • Nuthed
    • Jan 2007

I don't recall what the warranty is on repair work, probably 90 days, if that. But I would definitely call them up and let them know that it is doing the same thing that was covered under warranty less than a year ago.
    Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
    RB980-BX driving mains
    Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
    Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
    Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
    SVS PB-12

Comment

• BW4me
      • Nov 2005

Yes, I'm already beyond their repair warranty of 6 months.

Comment

• TommyV
        • Feb 2007

Sounds like you unit is possessed.

I would say that it probably does not make financial sense to repair the unit.

Check out audiogon for a used Rotel RSX 1057 or even 1056. They are going for cheap.

Comment

• BW4me
          • Nov 2005

Thanks.

Any thoughts on the power needed for my BW CDMNT series speakers. I think the 1057 is 75wtts? Maybe that's more than enough considering it's a rotel.

Comment

• TommyV
            • Feb 2007

I think power wise it will be just as good as your Intergra. I think you will be in for a treat in SQ. You could always go for like a 1068/1075 combo if you want that extra juice. 1075s seem to be going cheap on audiogon lately. I just got a new one from my dealer on clearance.

Comment

• BW4me
              • Nov 2005

Thanks again.

I've been checking audiogon, but everything appears to be sold at the moment other than a 1058, but asking $ is 1100. If I'm spending this I'd look at the 1067 which I've considered as well.

I'll just keep checking.

Comment

• TommyV
                • Feb 2007

Dude go for the 1067. That is a sweet machine. Especially if it is one of the later models. I think those even had HDMI switching. Unless you really want HDMI audio. Then get the 1058. But you could just buy the upcoming Oppo Blu-Ray player and use the multi analogs on the 1067. That would sound sweet.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"