X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

please help on a dilemma

I recently bought a used Rotel 1055 at $800, and I found out there is something wrong with the rear channel. There are intermittent popping noise at start up. It will be gone after a few minutes. I did whole bunch of test, and I think it is either something wrong with the amp, or it has some cold solder joints. My dilemma is that if I should take it to fix, or I should buy a new but cheaper one. If I take it to fix, the inspection fee is $65, and I don't know how much it will cost. I think it will be easily $200-$300. Or I can sell it out for 400-500 as a stereo amp (hopefully), then buy a Pioneer VSX-9120 for $650. Is there a big difference between Rotel and Pioneer?

What will you do if you were me?

Thank you.
  • Alex Tang
    • Feb 2008

No comments? Please help, I am struggling on this. Thanks

Comment

• Finleyville
      • Sep 2006

I think $65 dollars to find out what is wrong with a $800 piece of equipment isn't so bad. At least you can find out what exactly needs to be done to fix it. Then you can decide if it is worth to fix it or not. Just MHO.
      BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Alex Tang
        • Feb 2008

Finleyville,

Thank you very much for your opinion. I think $65 is not too much. I hope to get further comments. Here are my thoughts.

If I take it to fix, I assume it will cost me $300, and I will get a Rotel which only has 90 days warranty. But if I decided not to fix it, then I wasted another $65.

However, if I am able to sell the Rotel at $400-$500, and I have a FS gift card ~ $400, and I can sort of "trade in" for a new Pioneer VSX-9120 without ditching additional cash, and it will be future proof with DTS-HD and True HD. I will need to spend about $300 anyway (cash vs gift card), and the trade of is future proof vs sound quality, assuming Rotel has better sound.

But I don't know how much better sound Rotel will give me over Pioneer. If you were me, which option will you take?

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Unless the entire amp channel needs replaced I can't imagine it costing you 300 bucks.

Comment

• Alex Tang
            • Feb 2008

My estimate of $300 is based on the discussion with Rotel service.

If DSP need to be replaced, the board cost $270 + 0.5 hr labour ~ 300.

If the amplifier need to be replaced, each cost $40 + 1.5 hr labour ~ 140. And all of these are in USD.

So, the range I am looking at is CAD $170 - $350. So, yes, $300 is on the high side of the estimate. But I need to use a higher estimate in the decision, because there is a minimum charge of $65, so, I need to take the worst case scenario.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I'd go for it.

Comment

• Alex Tang
                • Feb 2008

Thanks for your opinion. Just want to understand, is it because you think the sound quality will be much better than the Pioneer to overcome the future proof factor?

At the beginning, I thought different receivers with similar specs will sound similar, but they are not. I went to test out the Onkyo SR705, Pioneer 9210 and HK 347. Unfortunately, the Pioneer is not hooked up, but the HK 347 sound very different from Onkyo, and I feel HK sounds better (quite alot). So, I think you are right, I should take the Rotel to fix.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"