X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Opus007
    • Nov 2007

Can I do This?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a rsx1057 with front channels fed to a rb1080 through the front preouts.I use the 1057 only for music.I also have a Sony str-da4300es for 1.3hdmi and hd audio in a 7.1 configuration for hddvd.All speakers are b&w 600 series.I have a radio shack 4 input 1 output audio vidio switch.As it is set up now I have to disconnect the fronts from the preouts on the Sony and use the preouts on the Rotel for my music and vice a versa which is a pain.My question is.. can I (without harming anything) use the radio shack switch box and put the preouts from the Rotel into the 1st input and the Sony on the second input and run the output to the rb1080 and switch between the 2 without a problem.The fronts are the only speakers that I am using the preouts to.
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I have a better idea

Have you heard of a theatre pass through switch? You find it on Krell, Conrad Johnson etc - basically it is a switch the sets the amp volume to unity gain (no net increase through the amp) and the input to an aux input labelled "theatre".

Your Rotel would not have this but you can emulate it. Plug the Sony's pre-out R&L into a spare aux input on the Rotel. The 1080 should be hooked up to the Rotel. Set the volume on the Rotel to zero to start with. Switch both amps on and run the test tones on the Sony - use the volume on the Rotel to work out the unity gain volume (volume match left right and center speakers) and make a note of this setting (some folks mark or put a sticker on this volume setting).

- stereo listening as normal via Rotels only
    - HT listening will need the Sony and Rotel switched on, Rotel set to your selected aux input and volume set to your marked unity gain level.

Personally I prefer this option as I would never put a Radioshack component in a half decent signal path (In my experience Radioshack is nasty cheap).
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"