X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

absorbing 400hz-1.8khz

My new setup calls for shelf mounting my monitors (not real happy about this,but ).

As you see in the pic there is some of the shelf below the midrange.There is also an edge of the shelf too.

I want to place wool felt below the mid to absorb sound. How thick should the wool felt be to absorb most of the midrange sound that will want to bounce off that edge ?

Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Don't quote me on this, but I think that for mid-range freqs, you want to have thick, heavy stuff. If I were absorbing mid-range, I would intuitively think of something other than wool. Perhaps another expert would weigh in here.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• warnerwh
      • Jan 2006

Being as a 400hz wave is 10.2" long, the felt won't do anything at all. For 400hz you should probably have at least 2 thicknesses of rigid fiberglass to do any good. Why not pull the speakers out so the baffle is in front of the shelf?

Comment

• kgveteran
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by warnerwh
        Being as a 400hz wave is 10.2" long, the felt won't do anything at all. For 400hz you should probably have at least 2 thicknesses of rigid fiberglass to do any good. Why not pull the speakers out so the baffle is in front of the shelf?
        I can't get the baffle out too far, because it will get closer to the aleady too close acoustically transparent screen.

I do have some 2" thick OC 713 board left over from another project.

Thanx guys

Comment

• kgveteran
          • Oct 2005

After looking over what scraps of 2" OC board I have on hand, I'll be cutting a piece for each speaker to sit on. It will be the lenth of each monitor and stick out enough so the sound will hit the 2" piece of insulation instead of the wood shelf. Maybe this will be enough.

KG

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"