X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timotheus
    • Nov 2008

Mineral wool usage?

Hello everyone,
    I am a newbie starting to plan my home theater and am looking to DIY a good part of it. Fortunately, I have good construction help. I do want to get a good plan together before I go build so I will take my time on research. I consistently am finding mineral wool referenced on the forums. It appears that mineral wool is a good product to use for

1. Acoustic treatments to include bass traps.
    2. Soundproofing to include in wall insulation
    3. DIY speakers

Also, what is standard costs for mineral wool?

Looking for opinions here. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your feedback! ;x(

Timotheus
  • Deward Hastings
    • Dec 2006

Call SPI (Specialty Products & Insulation) in Atlanta for local cost and availability.

In general mineral/rock wool panels, in 2,4, 6 and 8 lb densities, are about half the price per bale of the equivalent Owens Corning fiberglass product. It's been a couple of years since I last bought any, but I recall prices around $30-40 per bale (6 2" panels per bale).

Comment

• EdL
      • Apr 2005

I offer 2 points:

1) it doesn't itch

2) it is manufactured in 'Bama. (Roll Tide...watch out for them Gators 8O ) You may have a local source.
      Ed

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"