Some questions on diffusing and absorbing sound...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoDestiny
    • Jan 2009

Some questions on diffusing and absorbing sound...

Hey gang. I'm trying to understand the concepts as a general. I have some knowledge, but I'm looking for more.

One of my biggest things I don't know (and I'm sure experience would help, but I want a good starting block on the universal knowledge first) is how to decide when to use something to diffuse the sound and when to use something to absorb it.

Bass traps are a given that when trapping in corners, you absorb. But what about first reflections? Is it always best to absorb, or is there a general rule or a true science of any kind that states when one should use diffusion? I'm not sure what the rest are called (2nd, 3rd reflections?), but in general, how is it best to tackle those (or are those even a real concern?)

I had another question, but typing all this made me forget it (I swear I'm A.D.D.)... ill post it later if I recall it.

If any of this is going to be too difficult to explain in a post, I would definitely appreciate a good read (article, book, whatever!). No specific room or install, I just want to expand my general knowledge and understanding to become more of a "pro" audio enthusiast
    Last edited by NoDestiny; 18 December 2009, 16:44 Friday. Reason: fixing horrible grammar :D
  • 1oldguy
    • Dec 2008

Could use help in this myself as well....Good Call.
    A Man should never Gamble more than he can stand to loose.

Comment

• NoDestiny
      • Jan 2009

Anybody?

Comment

• Ken49r
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by NoDestiny
        Bass traps are a given that when trapping in corners, you absorb. But what about first reflections? Is it always best to absorb, or is there a general rule or a true science of any kind that states when one should use diffusion?
        Absorb the front wall, 1st side, and ceiling reflections. Diffuse the rear wall. That's a general rule to start out with.
        You don't want to overdue either absorbstion or diffusion. You want to room to sound alive without echo.

A buddy from work gave me a great book but I can't remember the authors name. I'll get back to you tomorrow when I ask him. I was going o buy myself a copy and forgot all about it. Glad you brought this up.

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Originally posted by Ken49r
          A buddy from work gave me a great book but I can't remember the authors name. I'll get back to you tomorrow when I ask him. I was going o buy myself a copy and forgot all about it. Glad you brought this up.
          Did you get it!
          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Until Ken comes back with the book he's referring to, here's a link to a site started by our own ThomasW that is a good starting point. He and JonMarsh are the gurus from the HTGuide DIY Forum. Note especially section 9.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ken49r
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by wettou
              Did you get it!

I only skipped through the chapters when I borrowed this from my friend and it's definitely on my buy list. Their are even a few reviews of the book on the site.
              Attached Files

Comment

• RobP
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

I usually don't like to redirect to other sources for info, but this site really has some great information, yes..it is more geared towards recording studios, but what you can learn can be applied in your home.

Also another great book to have is this one.

Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"