X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arpsachin2
    • Oct 2007

budget is $900.

ok my budget is around 900.. but no more then 1000....

i looked at Onkyo's Home theater 7.1 HT-SP908. its 800. i think its pretty good. but i am not so sure cuz i have been reading that onkyos speakers arent that good... so should i just buy the receiver from onkyo and speakers from somewhere else???
    i dont know any company who makes speakers???
    can u tell me whats best for me for by budget?

Thanks
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Is the $900 budget for 5.1 speakers and a receiver or just the receiver? Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon etc all make good receivers but generally speaking you don't want to buy speakers from those mass-market AV companies.

Without a clear idea on budget it's a bit tricky to make recommendations but here's the brands I generally start with:

Athena, B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, Polk, Kef and more all make great and affordable speakers.
    Jason

Comment

• arpsachin2
      • Oct 2007

Originally posted by aud19
      Is the $900 budget for 5.1 speakers and a receiver or just the receiver? Onkyo, Marantz, Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon etc all make good receivers but generally speaking you don't want to buy speakers from those mass-market AV companies.

Without a clear idea on budget it's a bit tricky to make recommendations but here's the brands I generally start with:

Athena, B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, Polk, Kef and more all make great and affordable speakers.
      my budget is around 900.. no more then 1000..incl speakers, woofer and the receiver for everything... 5.1 or 7.1 doesnt matter.. would prefer 5.1.

what i want from the recevier is to upscal my dvds to 1080... few HDMI input, so i can plug in my HD receiver and HD from pc, few compononent and composite...

can u plz tell me what wuld be the best to get for that budget... i saw the B&w speakers and they r expensive as h3ll... man...

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Well they do make SOME affordable models as well as big $$$ units just like all those brands listed there. With a $1000'ish budget for 5.1 AND a receiver with multiple HDMI inputs and upscaling your not leaving much budget space for speakers and a sub. The receiver itself will be north of $500 and quite frankly if it was my money and my system I'd get a couple decent main speakers and maybe centre speaker if budget allows, then upgrade surrounds and sub later. Those two or three speakers will SEVERELY out perform any "5.1" speakers setup you're going to find for a few hundred dollars.
        Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Maybe some used speakers. Could check the pawn shop here or audiogon and what not. That would be your best bet honestly. Your not going to get much for 1000 bucks especially if its all new. I'm selling my current speakers because I'm building new ones I have them listed in the pawn shop though. Just an idea. You can get some good deals on used gear a lot of the time and if you buy from a reputable person then you usually know it was well taken care of.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Unfortunately, I don't think your budget will allow for all the features you want. I agree with Jason. Get yourself a good receiver with the desired features and a pair of speakers. You can get entry level Paradigms or B&Ws for $200 or so if you shop around.
            Danish

Comment

• littlesaint
              • Jul 2007

You'd be better off with a cheaper receiver that doesn't upscale and getting a DVD player that does.

I have the Yamaha v661 which I found for ~$400. For a DVD player the Oppos or a slightly used Panasonic s97 is a steal. Still doesn;t leave much for speakers and a sub though.
              Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• Glen B
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2004

I would split a $1,000 HT budget like this:

Two pairs of Athena satellites from Audio Advisor ---------------- $200.00
                Athena center channel speaker from Audio Advisor --------------- $100.00
                Dayton 10" or 12" sub from Parts Express ($125 - $150) ---------- $150.00
                Receiver ------------------------------------------------------- $550.00
                .................................................. .............................Total: $1000.00

Discover the best bookshelf and monitor speakers at Audio Advisor. Our collection offers a wide range of options from top-tier brands like Klipsch, MartinLogan, Polk Audio, and PSB. Elevate your audio experience with crystal-clear vocals, deep bass, and precise imaging, bringing your favorite music, movies, and games to life. Shop now and find the perfect speakers for your space and budget.

Welcome to our new site! Free shipping on orders over $49. Enjoy 60 day returns. Orders placed by 2pm ship same day.

Comment

• Fred333
                  • Oct 2007

That is a nice break down. You have it right with invest the majority of money in the receiver.
                  Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

• arpsachin2
                    • Oct 2007

ok guys thanks... but what should be the min.. budget should i look for???

Comment

• Hdale85
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2006

I would say for about an extra 500 bucks you could have a significantly better system. So 1500? Not a ton more but If it were me I'd spend the 1000 in a nice receiver and nice front speakers and then save for the rest of the speakers to match.

Comment

• arpsachin2
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Dougie085
                        I would say for about an extra 500 bucks you could have a significantly better system. So 1500? Not a ton more but If it were me I'd spend the 1000 in a nice receiver and nice front speakers and then save for the rest of the speakers to match.

okay say i got it..

which speakers should i get then?? i saw the ones posted above but they are expnesive... and which receiver? which sub?

Comment

• arpsachin2
                          • Oct 2007

Athena LS-C100B Slim Dual 5 1/2" Center Channel Speaker
                          Athena WS-15 - i get 4 speakers rite , 2 a pair???
                          Onkyo Receiver?? or should i pick something else??
                          and Dayton 12"

Comment

• Glen B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by arpsachin2
                            Athena LS-C100B Slim Dual 5 1/2" Center Channel Speaker
                            Athena WS-15 - i get 4 speakers rite , 2 a pair???
                            Onkyo Receiver?? or should i pick something else??
                            and Dayton 12"
                            Onkyo is fine. There are also Yamaha and Marantz models in your budget range. I went from a Harman-Kardon multichannel amp and Adcom preamp-processor to an Onkyo 5.1 receiver which has been the centerpoint of my HT system for the past three or so years.

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

There are so many options. I like the Pioneer Elite models, could get one fro $900 or so along with a used pair of B&W 601s or something for $250 or so.
                              Danish

Comment

• arpsachin2
                                • Oct 2007

how will this work for the receiver???

Pioneer VSX-1017TXV - 410
                                Klipsch RC-62 - 300
                                Athena WS15 - 100.

can ne1 tell me a good woofer which i can get for 150 or less...
                                or any way i can exchanged the RC-62 to some lower one and a good woofer...

will that work????

or should i just stick with Onkyo HT-SP904

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

First, you don't want to mix speaker brands or your soundfield will lack any cohesiveness so either go with Athena or Klipsch (or another brand) but not both.

Second I still say you spend closer to half your budget on a good pair of main speakers. There's a pretty big difference in sound quality once you get above that $200/pair price range IMO. Spending between $200-$400 on a pair of main speakers is the route to go IMO. They'll produce a convincing enough "phantom centre" if setup properly to hold you over until having more money to add a dedicated centre speaker.

Third, you're not going to get a "good" subwoofer for less than $4-$500 IMO. Even if you build one yourself, the parts (driver, amp, cabinet etc) are going to cost you north of $250. Quite frankly anything cheaper than that is going to produce mediocre bass in quality, quantity and depth and you'd likely get better and deeper bass by putting that money in to bigger, higher quality mains. In other words a cheap "sub" is a waste of money IMO.

I'd break the budget up thusly:
                                  Receiver - $400
                                  Mains - $300
                                  Sub - $400

That's put you only about $100 over budget but it's worth it IMO. Then save up another $400'ish for a decent MATCHING centre and surrounds. That brings your total to $1500'ish....(Dougie I think you were right there with that magic number )
                                  Jason

Comment

• arpsachin2
                                    • Oct 2007

that pionner receiver
                                    RC-62
                                    and RF - 62..

subs and sat speakers- i will get them later...
                                    is it good now?

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

I'm not sure if the Pioneer does upscaling/routing of component to HDMI but I don't think you'll find that untill you step up to the $750+ price range. Otherwise as long as you like Klipsch speakers that sounds like a much better setup :T Have you listened to them? Not everybody likes the Klipsch sound FWIW. Otherwise they are generally pretty efficient speakers which should work well with the lower power of receivers in your price range :T
                                      Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Well he says its mostly used for movies and video games (halo specifically). So I think they would be good for him as they produce quite a bit of low end in those area's and should be fine until he gets funds together to get a sub.

Comment

• Fred333
                                          • Oct 2007

Yea if he is just playing video games on it then they should be fine.
                                          Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Should be great honestly. They are quite good speakers even for music

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"