X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpvnnvpj
    • Jun 2007

help with oppo

I just got a 981hd question whats beter pcm or raw coaxial output thanks.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I believe coaxial also outputs PCM.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

I use coaxial output because I use an external DAC. Having said that, the PCM output on my Oppo 971 ain't half bad, no matter what others on this forum tell you.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Toslink and Coaxial are both SPDIF. But Toslink has a lot more jitter problems. So most use coaxial.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

I would switch back and forth and determine which sounds better to you. I think it would depend how your specific system and how it converts the analog signal to represent its digital counterpart via PCM. Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• hifiguymi
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2007

If you're referring to what setting to use in the players set up, use raw. PCM will force it to only output stereo and you won't get DD or dts.

Eric

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
              • Jun 2007

Thanks i am using a rotel rdx 1057 if that makes any difrence. i just never seen a dvd with pcm or raw output. and i still dont know what pcm does.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

The receiver doesn't make a difference. Every DVD has at least two audio tracks. One is PCM stereo just like what is on a CD and one is Dolby Digital. If the DVD player is set to PCM, all you will get from the digital outputs is stereo. The receiver would know it's stereo and you could listen to it in two channel stereo, Dolby Pro Logic, or any of the other surround modes. If the player is set to raw, it will output the DD or dts track and the receiver would then decode them accordingly. Every DVD player has the option to do it, but some call the "raw" setting "bitstream".

Eric

Comment

• jpvnnvpj
                  • Jun 2007

Thanks for the info eric, and everyone

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"