X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jmy2469
    • Mar 2007

Need New Receiver and Sub?

I am slowly putting together my HT system. I have the Sony KDSR60XBR1 for my television,I use my PS3 for my bluray/dvd player,now I am looking in to purchasing a new receiver.I am looking for something with hdmi connectivity and something that is going to be able to handle the new hd audio formats.I just ordered Ascend Acoustics 340SE's for my L,C,R and also a pair of 340SE's for the rears. I am in an apartment,so I cant go too crazy. I would also like to add a sub to this.Whats a HT system without a sub,right? What would be some options for that? Thanks for your help.
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Denon and Yamaha are excellent choices for a receiver. For a sub I would go with an SVS SB-12. Its thier smallest sub (but dont let that fool you) and being in an apartment the small size is nice.

What are you looking to spend - that will help narrow down the choices.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Yes, look at SVS for your sub. www.svsound.com
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• jmy2469
        • Mar 2007

I have about $1500 to spend between receiver and sub.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yup, I would go for an SVS sub maybe halfway up their product scale, and a mid-range Denon/Yamaha receiver. Good solid system. If you have to give or take between the two, I'd lean more towards the sub. Sub technology doesn't change a lot, so if you buy a good sub, you can own it for decades. Receiver technology is going to change rapidly, so as your income increases, you can buy nicer and nicer models over the years.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

Originally posted by jmy2469
            I have about $1500 to spend between receiver and sub.
            That will give you plenty of options, and good ones at that. The question now is how to split that between sub and rec. Since you want HDMI connectivity lets start there. Receivers that support the new audio formats arent available, yet. You can get one that can handle uncompressed audio through HDMI but thats about it. Do you need a receiver ASAP? If so then I would put more towards a sub and use the leftover to get a rec to hold you over for the next year or so. By then they should be able to handle the new audio formats. I have always been a big fan of Denon but Yamaha, Onkyo, and Pioneed make great products as well.

Now for the sub. This will have some of the biggest impact when it come to home theater and certainly a place where you want to get the best you can for the money. To get the best bang for the buck I would start at the online companies: Outlaw Audio, SVS, HSU, and Axiom Audio. All make great subs well within your range. You can find decent subs elsewhere that may match up in price but cant compete in performance.

Have you looked at any subs or receivers yet? Any that you are leaning towards? Like I said, you have some excellent options and should be very pleased with whatever you wind up with.

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Indeed, for my money, I would go with the Outlaw receiver and the SVS sub, thought complete.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Pez
                • May 2004

Originally posted by Azeke
                Indeed, for my money, I would go with the Outlaw receiver and the SVS sub, thought complete.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                Even though there is no HDMI connectivity with the Outlaw receiver the combo that Azeke suggested is probably the best bang for the buck. Nothing at Circuit City/Best Buy/etc can compete with this.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"