X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles
    • Jul 2006

New Krell/Velodyne Gear

Just picked up a new load of goodies yesterday. Krell Showcase Prepro, KAV-3250, KAV-400XI, and a Velodyne DD-18. I am still in process of tweaking everything (this may take some time), but my first impression was a VERY positive one. Give me a few more days to absorb the Showcase manual and attempt to get the best it has to offer and if interested I will post my findings. My speakers are: B&W 803s fronts, B&W HTM3S center, SCM1 surrounds. I'll post a pic of my setup on the B&W forum once I clear all the books, cables, boxes and baggies out of the way.
  • gross30
    • Jun 2005

Congrats, you will love the Velo sub and the Krell 3/250. The Krell will give you ample power for your center and rears. The 3/250 runs warm, so watch the ventelation. Once you get her tweaked in it should impress. Enjoy your setup :T

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Gross,
      Interesting that you think the Krell 3250 runs warm. Mine seem to run no warmer than the average amp. I'm using the amp on my front and center channels.

That said, heat buildup is the deadly enemy of electronics. So, I think your warning is appropriate. But the 3250 certainly is not a Class A space heater.

Sparky

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Charles ....

Awesome!! :T

Can't wait to read your findings. Good luck with setting up. Take your time. It's well worth it.

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Congrats Charles on the new equipment.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

yay! :banana:
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• gross30
              • Jun 2005

Karma, sorry about the confusion, my amp is a KAV-250a/3, so it would be an older model, as compared to the newer ones. It runs fairly warm, I talked to Krell and some other members here with the same amp, and it is supposed to be normal that they run warm. Krell said I could send it in for a tune up and it would run cooler but I just haven't got around to it. It runs fine now and I just couldn't be without it for a month or so !!!

Comment

• Charles
                • Jul 2006

Thanks everyone!! I still have some tweaking to do but getting very close. The notch filters are going to take some time when nobody is at home (including the dog). So far it is looking like my homework is going to pay off big this time.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by gross30
                  Karma, sorry about the confusion, my amp is a KAV-250a/3, so it would be an older model, as compared to the newer ones. It runs fairly warm, I talked to Krell and some other members here with the same amp, and it is supposed to be normal that they run warm. Krell said I could send it in for a tune up and it would run cooler but I just haven't got around to it. It runs fine now and I just couldn't be without it for a month or so !!!
                  I have the Krell Kav 250A (2 Channel Version), It used to run very hot, fry an egg on it hot. I blew a channel and sent it back to Krell. They fixed it free of charge even out of warranty and sent it back to me foc. Great service. After getting it back, it runs much cooler now. Sound is the same. I wonder that if they just change a few resistors, it makes a big difference on heat. Perhaps there was an upgrade after the amp came out. May be worth it to send it in to them, just on the electric bill.
                  Steel

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Mmmm, krell and velo....... drooool.

Enjoy!!
                    B&W

Comment

• gross30
                      • Jun 2005

LikeCoiledSteel, You are correct on the great service. Sent in my KAV 300 CD and they replaced the transport and were very pleasurable to deal with. The tech told me about the KAV 250 a/3 and if I were to send it in they would give it a "tune up" as he called it, and the heat problem would be insignificant. I also did put the amp on a dedicated line and haven't had a problem with it turning on as we chatted about a couple months ago. I really like their service and follow up. I guess I will have to send it in the spring when I have some time.

Comment

• gross30
                        • Jun 2005

LikeCoiledSteel: P.S. How do you like to power of that beast ? It seems to push my Paradigm C3 sig. center and Monitor Audio S9i's rears w/no effort at all. :B

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                          • May 2004

Hi Gross,
                          I love the power of the Krell. It realy controls my B&W's with tight, accurate bass and a low noise floor. Plenty of power. A very analytical amp. Bright and lively. Can be fatigueing in a reflective room. I find that it mates best with a "laid back" speaker. I am very happy with it so far. I would love to see how my center channel would sound with the Krell. I now use it only for my mains. I use 2 other lesser amps for my surrounds and center (Outlaw M200 and Adcom 535). Glad to hear that you solved the turn on problem. Mine turns on when it first gets power sometimes, regardless of whether I pushed the button. Not a big deal to me since I completly kill it's power when not in use from my Belkin power conditioner.
                          Steel

Originally posted by gross30
                          LikeCoiledSteel: P.S. How do you like to power of that beast ? It seems to push my Paradigm C3 sig. center and Monitor Audio S9i's rears w/no effort at all. :B

Comment

• Charles
                            • Jul 2006

Well the tweaking is close enough and I'm going to call it done. I originally had a B&K AVR-507 running the system and this is where I upgraded from. I have been reading and studying all I could on this forum as well as others to make the right choice on this upgrade and I really appreciate everyones time for posting their knowledge. I really learned alot very quickly! I listened to Krell, McIntosh, Classe and Rotel only since these were the brands the local B&W dealers sold.

It was a tough choice to pick from since all are quality products. I really liked the Mac and Classe for 2 channel and Rotel for it's price, but the bass and slam of the Krell won out since I'm 80% HT and for me personally, this is what action movies are all about. My room is very open so this may be the reason why I'm not hearing the brightness alot of people complain about with the Krell. To my 46 year old ears. the sound is very lifelike and well controlled which was exactly what I was looking for. I was really concerned since I'm not a fan of bright and have known to make a face and go running out of a demo room holding my ears, but fortunatly this is not anything near what I hear in my listening room. The other brands did a great job with home theater as well and I could have lived with any of them to be honest. I felt the Mac and Classe were strong seconds and may have won out if 2 channel was my primary goal.

Like most everyone suggests, before making a purchase, read these forums to get educated as much as possible, then go listen for yourself and take a demo unit home if possible. The Krell sounded even better at home than the dealers showroom and coupled with the Velodyne DD sub made one hell of a system. It really woke everything up from the exploding cannons in Master and Commander to the biting strings of Neil Youngs Martin guitar (I play one and know how they sound and it's pretty much dead on). I really can't find any faults at this point. Again thanks for everones help.

Comment

• gross30
                              • Jun 2005

Great to hear Charles, you will enjoy the gear for years to come, that is if course until the next upgrade bug comes along. Enjoy the sound :T

Comment

• Charles
                                • Jul 2006

Thanks Gross30, hopefully the upgrade bug stays away for a while or my wife might become an exterminator. Hard to imagine better right now, but I'm sure there is room for improvment on up the 800 series ladder.

Comment

• gross30
                                  • Jun 2005

Thats probably where I'm headed next, is some 800 series, newer model, and or some updated monoblocks. The old Classe 15's still sound good and lots of power ! I've pretty much been shut down on any upgrades for the time being. Maybe some nice jewelry for x-mas could fix that, ha ha ha !!

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"