X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fauzigarib
    • Aug 2006

Toshiba HD-A1 Regions

Hey all,

Seriously considering the purchase of the Toshiba HD A1 for my HT system.

Been reading up on it, and it seems that it has its fair amount of issues.

However, it also seems that people are generally happy with it regardless of the issues.

My main concern, however, is that I live in Pakistan, and most of my viewing will be on DVD's that are (gulp, yes...) pirated copies from the Far East.

Are there any region restrictions that you all know of?

Also, the two drawbacks that I've heard of on this unit are a) the remote really stinks (not an issue for me, as I'll be using a universal remote), and b) the operation is really really slow. Any other issues that you guys may have experienced?

A friend is visiting the US as we speak, so I'm going to get him to bring one back with him... so on kind of a timeline here!

Regards,

Fauzi
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by fauzigarib
    Hey all,
    Are there any region restrictions that you all know of?

Also, the two drawbacks that I've heard of on this unit are a) the remote really stinks (not an issue for me, as I'll be using a universal remote), and b) the operation is really really slow. Any other issues that you guys may have experienced?

Fauzi
    There is no region coding for HDDVD's. I can not comment on SD-DVD's as I don't have any.

as far as the performance issues, you have a projector right? I turn mine on at the same time I warm up my projector. It isn't any different. maybe another 10 sec slower, but no big deal.

there are bass mgmt issues with the calibration of the unit. the sub is 10db too low. you can either manually adjust the sub or I'm told that can be corrected if you have an SMS-1, which is supposed to be beneficial anyways.

The other thing is the center reflects incorrectly, I just manually set mine to the same as the left and right speakers.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• fauzigarib
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by sikoniko
      There is no region coding for HDDVD's. I can not comment on SD-DVD's as I don't have any.

as far as the performance issues, you have a projector right? I turn mine on at the same time I warm up my projector. It isn't any different. maybe another 10 sec slower, but no big deal.

there are bass mgmt issues with the calibration of the unit. the sub is 10db too low. you can either manually adjust the sub or I'm told that can be corrected if you have an SMS-1, which is supposed to be beneficial anyways.

The other thing is the center reflects incorrectly, I just manually set mine to the same as the left and right speakers.
      sikoniko,

Did you upgrade the firmware after you bought the unit?

Also, that's the first time I'm hearing about the center issue... what exactly do you mean "reflects incorrectly?" Considering that the center channel is the main speaker in HT, sounds like a serious issue. Please elaborate.

Fauzi

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by fauzigarib
        sikoniko,

Did you upgrade the firmware after you bought the unit?

Also, that's the first time I'm hearing about the center issue... what exactly do you mean "reflects incorrectly?" Considering that the center channel is the main speaker in HT, sounds like a serious issue. Please elaborate.

Fauzi
        Yes, I am now on version 2.0.

Its not really an issue. It happened with 2.0. When I calibrate through my pre on normal settings, the center is equal to L/R. it matches perfectly. it may have been a fluke. my system is down right now, so I can't test it. won't be back up until next week.
        I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"