How high are your surround speakers mounted and how far are your sides from your rear wall?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

How high are your surround speakers mounted and how far are your sides from your rear wall?

Where do you have your surrounds mounted in your HT setup? Does anyone have their sides and/or rears mounted at 8 to 9 feet up?

EDIT: Also how far from the rear wall are your sides and how deep is your room?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have a drop ceiling in my HT which makes the walls just a tad over 7 feet high. My surrounds and back speakers are about one foot down from the ceiling.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

George, are your sides directly to the side of or a little rear of or a little forward of your prime listening position?

Every setup guide or reference I can find (thus far) seems to indicate higher is better for movies while lower is better for mulit-channel SACD and DVD-Audio. I'm more of a movie man so I suspect higher would be okay with me.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Mide side and rear speaker are all about 6 feet up from the floor which seems to work for me.

Comment

• Thira
          • Sep 2003

Sonny:
          My sides are approx 9 feet mounted flush on the wall. My rears are approx the same height, the main difference is that they are mounted to a swivel and not the wall. The rear speakers are directly across the room from the front speakers, rt & lt respectively, and angled toward the center of room viewing seating area.
          I am very satisfied.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

HI Thira... welcome to htguide. Good to see more people that are close to home. I'm only a little over an hour from Florida.

I don't think I'd have to worry about the angle because all my surrounds are and will be the PSB Image 10S's which are bipolar and already angled.

Well it makes me feel more comfortable knowing someone else is at 9 feet and very satisfied.

Are your sides directly beside you?

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

Couldn't tell you the height from the floor. I only went about 2 foot above sitting position (based on Dolby's recommendation). It couldn't be higher than 6 feet I suspect....I'll give it a measure when I'm at home.

You could try mounting you speaks on a tripod and play around with the height that way to see what effect it has.

"A RONSTER!"
              Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

When I got my new on-wall surrounds, my daughter and I took turns for around 45 minutes with one holding them up in different positions, while the other evaluated which position sounded best from the spot we listen. Ironically, the spot each choose was within an inch of the others choice, about a foot behind the listening position and about one and a half feet above the listening position. These aren't bipolar surrounds though. I would experiment like Gordon recommends as the positioning might vary room to room and speaker to speaker.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Sonnie, sorry for the slow reply.

My dipole side surrounds are about a foot behind the main seating area. The two back wall direct radiator speakers are situated about six feet apart from the center, angled downward slightly toward the seating area.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                    • Aug 2000

My surrounds are in the back corners of the room, facing inward. They're direct radiators (regular speakers, not bipole/dipole) on stands that put them at roughly ear level when seated. Due to room depth limitations (and the fact that the couch is against the back wall as well) I can't set them back from the couch or farther than the back wall.

Not perfect but it works for now until I can afford a bigger room (house).

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
                    My HT Site

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                      • Jan 2002

I took out the ole measuring tape so I could be more exact and our main listening position puts our ears at about 3 feet from the back wall. Which means I'd probably want to locate the side speakers no more than 3 feet from the back wall.

This is kinda how the sides and rears will look (it's not to scale -it's rough):

Seems like it would be rather crowed with 4 speakers that far to the rear of the room, but maybe not if they are 9 feet up from the floor. There's not a lot of trial and error to work with here due to room limitations.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

I have a 5.1 setup with di/bi-poles for the rear. I have mine to the sides about 2 ft. above ear level. I try to stick as close to dolby's guidelines as possible. But, rooms are so different, you must get creative in many cases.

Maybe you could borrow a ladder or two to place the speakers on. You will get an idea if you prefer them at that height without having to mount them in anyway.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Jsapp
                          • Jun 2003

My Mini Monitors (direct ) have the tweeters 7 feet off the floor (about 6 inces from ceiling. They are 1.5 feet in back of the couch . The left surround is tipped down slightly and angled on swivel at the right end of the couch. The right one firers ALMOST straight across (just a little tip) and aimed at far left.

My room as a partial wall that causes some weird reflections thus the tip down on one speaker.

Seems to work OK.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"