X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • number17
    • Jul 2004

Room acoustic dilemma - rear speakers placement

I finally got my speakers and while I'm still shopping for a used amp (anybody who spots a marantz 5400, denon 2803 / 1804 or Yamaha RX-V1400 at ~ Cdn$500-700 I appreciate if you can let me know!) I have a dilemma with the placement of speakers in my room.

Since I don't have a picture of my room maybe I should describe it first.

My family room is an open concept and is joined with my kitchen, with no walls or partition in between. The 2 rooms are divided by the sofa, which is placed off center to the right side of the room, allowing traffic on the left side of the rooms.

My family room is 12' wide and 12' deep. My kitchen, which is joined with the family room, is 12' wide and ~ 9' deep.

My TV (57" Toshiba HX83) is placed at the end of the family room, again slightly off center to the right to accommodate the sofa. And my CC (JM Lab Chorus CC770) is going to sit on top of the TV. The 715 tower speakers are going to be in the left and right front corners of the room, ~ 2' from the walls. The subwoofer is going to be along the left wall, halfway between the sofa where I'll be sitting when watching TV and the TV itself.

So far so good.

Now here's the dilemma.

I have a pair of JM Lab 705 bookshelf speakers for RL and RR. I have already got the speaker stands for them, and running speaker wires is not a problem for the most part neither.

Ideally I want them to be right behind the sofa, on the L and R side of the room. That's the way it should be setup for a 5.1 system.

Because the family room is joined with the kitchen though, if I place them on the L and R side behind the sofa, the rear-left speaker will end up being right in the middle of the walkway between the kitchen and the family room. Even if my wife approves that, I'm afraid it's going to be knocked over all the times.

The rear-right speaker, OTOH, is fine if I want to place it behind the sofa.

Since the ideal solution isn't possible, I have thought of an alternative.

Instead of placing the rear speakers right behind the sofa, I can place them all the way at the back of the kitchen. The rear speakers will end up being 9' behind the sofa (or, the sitting position) on speaker stands, but now they won't get in the way. As a bonus, I can assign these speakers under the multi-room feature of the amp and if my wife wants to listen to music while she cooks she can play through these speakers.

This alternative is a lot more practical but they are not the ideal solution for acoustics.

What do you guys recommend? How much worse do you think the system will sound if I place the rear speakers all the way in the back of the kitchen? In that case they'll be ~ equal distance from the sitting position as the front speakers are.

I also thought about hanging the rear speakers on the side walls but because the JM Lab 705 are pretty fair size bookshelf speakers, and worse they are in black, it has a very low WAF (wife-approving-factor)

What would you do in this case?
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Well, it is certainly a compromise, but it does sound like a good solution.

Only concern I'd have, you know how thigs in kitchens get coated in gunk from airborne grease etc, from cooking. I'd keep some sort of slip covers on the speakers when not in use.

I have a similar dilemna, but chose ceiling mounting the rear pair for a 7.1 system.

BB

Comment

• number17
      • Jul 2004

If I've gone with something like the Energy Encores or even the B&W 303 I'd definitely go for wall / ceiling mount. Running the speaker wires is gonna be a bit of a hassle but it should be manageable.

But the JM 705's are somewhat big and worse, they're in black, which make a big contrast on the beidge / white walls. If they're in maple I'd consider wall mounting them ... but not in black.

But yes, you definitely made a good point re: the moisture, oil and grease from the kitchen ... hmmm ....

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

If it were my room I'd be investigating some sort of metal mount that would support the weight and go from the ceiling...

Jason
        Jason

Comment

• number17
          • Jul 2004

There are ceiling mounts kits and there are wall mount kits. They'd both work and they don't look that much different if you mount the speakers tall enough on the wall. Meanwhile it will be A LOT easier to run the speaker wires behind the side walls and down into the basement (unfinished) than to run the wires above the ceiling.

The problem with ceiling mount / wallmount is it doesn't look that nice to have 2 fairly big size black boxes hanging from the wall / ceiling. It's a WAF thing.

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Is their an ability to hang drapes behind the speakers? Could lend a nice splash of colour to the room while increasing the WAF and also absorbing some of the rear sound waves? Would also help to further seperate the two spaces visually....

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• number17
              • Jul 2004

Maybe I should post the picture to give a better idea ...

There are no walls between the kitchen, the breakfast area and the family room.

The placement of the front speakers and the sub are pretty much fixed.

Ideally, I want to place the rear speakers on speaker stands behind the sofa (position "A") However, the Left-rear speaker runs a good chance of being knocked over all the times, because that's a high traffic area.

The most sensible position to place the speakers are all the way back to the back wall, which is position "B".

This however, isn't the most ideal position for HT acoustics. Plus, the left-rear speaker is now close to the range, and all the grease / moisture can't be good for the speaker.

I could also do a variation of "A" by leaving the right-rear speaker where it is in the picture, but move the rear-left speaker on to the counter top. But then 1. it'll be sitting at a higher level than the other rear speaker and 2. since the sink is also on that counter top, there's also water hazard for the LRear speaker.

I can hang the rear-right speaker on the wall and hide it in the drapes, so that it doesn't look as odd. But then the left-rear speaker is still a problem.

What do you guys think?
              Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

That's a tough one. Definitely a candidate for in-ceiling speakers. I've got no good recommendations other than trading them in/selling them to purchase in-ceilings.... Let me play with your drawing there and get back to ya...

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Well here's a couple of options:

They both offer a "better" view of the fireplace too. :B
                  Attached Files
                  Jason

Comment

• stantheman2
                    • Apr 2004

I've got an HT setup in a room somewhat like yours, with a sofa dividing the family room from the breakfast area. My rears are JBLs (5 1/4" woofer, 0.75" tweeter), about the size of B&W 300 series. I mounted the rears on custom-sized shelves (one on the wall on each side of the sofa, in the same plane as the sofa ) near the ceiling. The shelves are 8" white laminate boards, with one white "L" bracket for each shelf. ($10US total at Home Depot). I have the black speakers/white walls issue too. This may ot be the "best" solution acoustically, but the speakers are unobtrusive (higher WAF) and they still provide a good ambient soundfield.

Comment

• number17
                      • Jul 2004

Thanks for the suggestion guys ... I think what I'll do is try the speakers in "A" and "B" positions first, and see how big of a difference there is. If it doesn't make a big difference to the ears I'll leave them in "B" position. If there is a big difference though, then I'll come up with something else that comes close to "A"

I like your suggestions Jason ... it also solves my problem that the armchair (not shown on the picture, but it sits beside the sub) cannot get a decent view of the TV.

I'll try that and see if that works.

thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"