X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

4 Ohm reciever?

Whats about the cheapest reciever you guys have use that did ok with a 4ohm load?
  • DL86
    • Sep 2005

From knowledge, any Onkyo receiver in the 800 series and up will run fine with 4 ohm speakers and any Rotel receiver will handle it with ease.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

So we're talking about around like 700 bucks? Is there anything in like the 400 dollar range that would do it? New or used?

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Reading through the specs on onkyo's website the lower 603 and so on will do 4ohms to. Not sure how acurate that is....I might have to give them a try maybe.

Comment

• Snap
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2005

Yamaha tech support says that there recievers will handle 4 ohms. I have used a 659 and 1600 at 4 ohms. It worked fine. 659 will run you 499.
          The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• bleeding ears
            • Nov 2004

Panasonic's receivers with class D amplification are pretty cheap I believe, and may handle 4 Ohm loads.

Apparently at their price point they are hard to beat.

Perhaps others can confirm this as I am only going off what I have read here previously.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

Yeah I was wondering if those digital panasonics would do 4ohms....hopefully somone can chime in.

Comment

• Rolyasm
                • Dec 2004

I specifically called Onkyo with a question about this and the 703. No problems. I know Harman K doesn't offer it on the mid range. Sherwood Newcastle also states a 4 ohm capable receiver with the r-865 and higher.
                Roly

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

Dougie, I believe Jerry,(Dr Rapp), a member here owns one of these Panasonics.

From memory, I think he said they were pretty good for the money.

Perhaps you could private message him for info?

Comment

• whoaru99
                    • Jul 2004

I think it really depends on how hard you are going to push the receiver. If you are going to run it moderately loud to loud, then yes, I'd look for something that eludes to 4 Ohm capability. If you live in an apartment, or have other circumstances that prevents you from turning up the volume too far, then I think just about any receiver will be OK as long as you allow it decent air circulation.
                    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

I previously owned a Yamaha receiver, it had a switch on the rear for 4 ohm loads, not sure if that is still the case.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• CombatWombat
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Azeke
                        I previously owned a Yamaha receiver, it had a switch on the rear for 4 ohm loads, not sure if that is still the case.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
                        My RX-V1 has the same switch... Then again that reciver was $6000AUS when I bourght it many moons ago.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"