Can Yamaha Rx-v365(Europe version) drive 8 ohm speakers?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AwArEnEsS
    • Nov 2009

Can Yamaha Rx-v365(Europe version) drive 8 ohm speakers?I think it's a 6 ohm rated receiver(Us and Europe versions are different) which can drive 4 ohm speakers too.
    Here are some specs of it I could find on Yamaha Uk webpage.

RMS Power (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz) [THD]: 100W x 5 [6 ohms]
    I couldn't understand what does this line exactly mean...

Dynamic Power/Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) -/105/130/150 W
    Total Harmonic Distortion (20 Hz-20 kHz, CD) 0.06%

Also a few specs ffrom Yamaha Rx-v365 manual:

Minimum RMS Output Power for Front, Center, Surround
    1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 6 Ω .................................................. 100 W/ch
    • Maximum Power (JEITA)
    1 kHz, 10% THD, 6 Ω .................................................. ..135 W/ch
    • MAX Power Per Channel
    1 kHz, 0.7% THD, 4 Ω ......................................... 105 W or more
    • IEC Power
    1 kHz, 0.1% THD, 6 Ω ........................................... 90 W or more
    • Dynamic Power
    (IHF, 6/4/2 Ω) .................................................. ..... 105/130/150 W
    • Dynamic Headroom
    8 Ω .................................................. ................................... 0.41 d

Total Harmonic Distortion
    CD, etc. (2ch stereo) to Front SP OUT,
    1 kHz, 50 W/6 Ω .................................................. . 0.06% or less

Built-in 5-channel power amplifier
    ◆ Minimum RMS output power
    (1 kHz, 0.9% THD, 6 Ω)
    Front: 100 W/ch
    Center: 100 W
    Surround: 100 W/ch

If this receiver can even drive 8 ohm speakers,does it do it below 100W?
    The universe arises from definitionless awareness.
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
    Yes, the 635 will drive 8 ohm speakers. A 4 ohm load is actually harder to drive than an 8 ohm. The 6 ohm falls between.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
      • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

Does it do it below 100W?

By looking at this specification,it should give lower than 105W at 8 ohms?
      Also why is there a "-" at 8 ohms section?

David Meek:
      Yes, the 635 will drive 8 ohm speakers"
      You meant 365,right?

Comment

• Glen B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by AwArEnEsS
        I couldn't understand what does this line exactly mean...

Dynamic power is the amount of watts an amplifier can deliver momentarily (about 10 milliseconds duration) on musical peaks. Dynamic power is usually always a bit higher than continuous power. Other terms manufacturers throw out that mean the same thing as dynamic power are "peak power" and "music power".

One other thing, all of the output ratings listed are based on measurements taken at 1KHz, which is easier on the unit, and where results will be better than at a full range of 20Hz-20KHz. Mass market manufacturers will often give a lot of such specs, including outdated "IHF" (Institute of High Fidelity) results to fool unknowledgeable buyers into thinking an amplifier is more powerful than it actually is. They have been doing this since the 1970s and some continue to do so to this day.

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
          • Nov 2009

Thanks for your answer.

I wonder how much W it can deliver at 8 ohms?

What does this line mean:
          RMS Power (8 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz) [THD]: 100W x 5 [6 ohms]

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
            • Oct 2009

The 100watts specified as RMS is what it is rated to deliver into 8ohms. This is probably only into one or maybe two channels. I still have a Yamaha RX-V496 driving some 4 ohm speakers in my garage. It has worked well for the better part of a decade doing that, but it is only driving a left and right channel. I would not hook up five 4 ohm speakers to your receiver. Many Yamaha receiver have a switch on the back to select for 8ohms or less than 8ohms. Some of the newer receivers perform this function within the GUI. When the 4ohm mode is selected the power output is reduced so that the receiver does not try to put out too much current into the low impedance loads. My older Yamaha is only rated for 4 ohms on the left and right channel. Hope this helps.
            "You get what you Inspect, not what you Expect"
            -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
              • Oct 2009

Sorry missed the 6ohms 100watts rms in the earlier post. That is a strange way to rate power. You will probably be seeing about 50-75watts into one 8ohm speaker. With all channels driven(5 in your case) the power supply probably will not be able to supply enough current to drive all channels to this level. You will probably see about 20-35watts/channel when all channels are driven. Don't despair though. Choose reasonably efficient speakers. The rating you are looking for in speakers is the db/watt rating. Usually an average of 85-87db/1 watt of input is normal. If you try and look for something in the 90db/watt range you should still be able to do home theater with like db max. 3db is double the sound and it takes twice the power to double the sound so figure 1watt will get you 90db then 2watts gets you 93db and 4watts gets you 96db etc...up to about your max all channels driven of about 32watts which is 18db up from 90 or about 108db. Most folks figure 105db will reach max movie levels so if you use speakers about 90db/watt efficiency in a smaller room you should be able to recreate the cinema pretty well. Good luck.
              -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                • Nov 2009

ClosetScifiGeek,thanks for your answers.

I already have the speakers(B&W 685) but don't have the Rx-v365.Should I choose a better efficient receiver,like which can deliver 100 watt per channel at 8 ohm?Would Pioneer Vsx-519v-k be a better choice?

Pioneer is 6 ohm rated I think,but it can deliver 130W at 6 ohms and 100W at 8 ohms.

I was thinking that maybe I may decide to go with another speakers from a different brand(MA) in the future(or may decide to contniue with the B&W 600 series),and that speekers from MA are 6 ohms and 1 pair of them is 4 ohms.I am not sure how our finances will be in the future,I may not be able to buy a new receiver immediately if I decide to change the speakers in the future.So I was thinking that Yamaha may suit better for me,cause it supports 4 ohm(for MA) and I asked if it supported 8 ohm speakers and if it delivered less than 100W,cause I wanted to learn it's compatibility with my current speakers.

But for my current speakers,Pioneer seems like a better choice,and the most important is it's performance(including maximum volume level,I like listening to music with high volume levels) with my current speakers(but still prefer a receiver over an amplifier cause at least if I decide to continue with the same series,there will be no problem I think)

I want to give some of VSX-519V-K's specifications:
                Rated power output
                Front, Center, Surround
                . . . . . . . . .130 W per channel (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 1 %)
                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 W per channel
                (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.09 %)
                Total Harmonic Distortion
                . . . . . . 0.06 % (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 95 W/ch)
                Frequency response (LINE Pure Direct mode)
                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5 Hz to 100 kHz dB
                Guaranteed speaker impedance . . . 6 Ω to 16 Ω

I thought this specification is a good thing:
                . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 W per channel
                (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.09 %)

But I am not sure about Pioneer Vsx-519V-K's price in my country,although Usa price is very good.

Comment

• Glen B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2004

Regardless of specifications, none of the mass market receivers will deliver full rated output from all channels simultaneously, nor will they be required to do so in real world use. I have rotated a couple of different amps, both with power meters, to drive the two main channels of my HT system. On most movies, there is little to no activity from the meters, with the center channel and sub doing most of the work. The first time I observed this, I had to double-check to make sure the amp was functioning.

As suggested above, you should do fine with an efficient set of speakers. BTW, lab test results figures on the Onkyo AVR I use for the center and surround channels show it delivers 151W one channel driven @ 8 ohms, and 46W all 5 channels driven @ 8 ohms. With movies or multichannel music, it plays as loud as I even need without any hint of strain.

Comment

• ClosetSciFiGeek
                    • Oct 2009

Thank you GlennB

He said what I was trying to say in much less space. Any modern receiver will deliver enough power to be enjoyable(in a reasonably sized room with reasonably efficient speakers). In your situation I would go with one of the name brand receivers(i.e. Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer). At the price point you are talking about I don't think there is a huge difference, but like GlennB I am more partial to Onkyo receivers. Take a look at the TX-SR607 if you don't need preamp outputs for later. If you think you might look at the TX-SR707. These can be had in the $350-500 range. Any of these should be fine for starting off in home theater. If you want more get into some used separates later and move your receiver to your bedroom or garage.
                    -Hyman G. Rickover

Comment

• AwArEnEsS
                      • Nov 2009

Originally posted by ClosetSciFiGeek
                      He said what I was trying to say in much less space. Any modern receiver will deliver enough power to be enjoyable(in a reasonably sized room with reasonably efficient speakers). In your situation I would go with one of the name brand receivers(i.e. Onkyo, Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer). At the price point you are talking about I don't think there is a huge difference, but like GlennB I am more partial to Onkyo receivers. Take a look at the TX-SR607 if you don't need preamp outputs for later. If you think you might look at the TX-SR707. These can be had in the $350-500 range. Any of these should be fine for starting off in home theater. If you want more get into some used separates later and move your receiver to your bedroom or garage.
                      If the prices in my country were same as the prices in Usa then yes,I could buy those Onkyo or similar priced other brands.But in my country prices are sometimes 3x more than Usa prices,unfortunately.I may buy it from Amazon,but if I buy a product from Amazon it will have no guarantee right in my country.Also customs tax would increase the price.

My current speakers' sensitivity(is this also efficiency?):88dB spl (2.83V, 1m)

Also what do you think about Sony Str-Dh500 receiver?I think it's the cheapest of famous brands in my country(other than one of Jvc's receivers) , that's why my father prefers buying it ,he didn't like the price of Pioneer Vsx-519V-K(but at Amazon they are same priced )

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"