X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

Floorstanding Center Channel for HT?

Has anyone done any A/B testing on a floorstanding center vs. a normal center channel on a stand for HT? For example, would three B&W 804Ss as LCRs sound very different from an 804S/HTM3S setup? I know multi-channel music will sound better with a matching front stage, but I'm worried about the HT experience.

Reason I ask is I'm looking to upgrade soon and some of the speakers that interest me do not have matching center channels. Specifically looking at the Usher Audio Be-10s. So I'm entertaining buying three for my front stage.

Thanks everybody!
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Good Idea

EAmin,

I had an HTM1 on the bottom shelf of an entertainment center. Basically, it was on the floor. It worked well enough. This spring I reconfigured the EC and moved the center up a bit. This would be similar to placing the HTM1 on a stand. See attached picture. This made a noticeable improvement in the center channel's performance. I have N804's for LR. The drivers of the HTM1 are identical. Getting the drivers closer in height to the 804's made a real difference.

I believe three identical floorstanding speakers would be even better, and awesome for HT. Aesthetically, If I could get away with it, I would.

Hope this helps.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Race Car Driver
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Nice! Salamander racks too!
      B&W

Comment

• SteveCallas
        • Aug 2005

I'm using 3 floorstanders for my LCR and it works amazingly well. If you can get away with such a setup in terms of screen positioning, and the looks don't bother you, then I highly recommend doing it. A 3rd floorstander as compared to a horizontal center will typically go lower (larger enclosure), image better, and will have an identical sonic signature to your mains.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by SteveCallas
          I'm using 3 floorstanders for my LCR and it works amazingly well. If you can get away with such a setup in terms of screen positioning, and the looks don't bother you, then I highly recommend doing it. A 3rd floorstander as compared to a horizontal center will typically go lower (larger enclosure), image better, and will have an identical sonic signature to your mains.
          Amen. Both of my systems are set up that way (one has no screen, so it was a given). Compared to a dedicated horizontal center (with very few exceptions), this is the closest approach to timbre (and dispersion) matching possible.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

• kgveteran
            • Oct 2005

What seems to be a must is the orientation of the tweeter and mid.Thats why a threeway center works so well.The tweeter is above the mid by design.

So, back to your OP.Three identical mains would work great.I built three RS centers for my mains and they sound fantastic.For 400.00 each, including someone else building my cabinets for me, they are a steal.

Good luck KG
            Attached Files
            Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

That's what makes the HTM1D such an attractive choice, you get the same thing as the 802D but sideway's, ( basically), debating on that or the HTM2D as my next move

upgradeitis still not cured

:-)

Kurt

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Most center speakers are a compromise because of their horizontal layout. As kgveteran pointed out a 3way horizontal speaker (with tweeter above mid) corrects most of the compromises but yes if you have the space/ability etc to use a "main" speaker (positioned properly) as your centre it is really the optimal setup :T

My Energy C-C3 has a unique solution to this as well with diagonally opposed mids above and below the tweeter.

Jason

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kgveteran
                  What seems to be a must is the orientation of the tweeter and mid.Thats why a threeway center works so well.The tweeter is above the mid by design.

So, back to your OP.Three identical mains would work great.I built three RS centers for my mains and they sound fantastic.For 400.00 each, including someone else building my cabinets for me, they are a steal.

Good luck KG
                  Yeah but now the mid/tweeter arrangement is wrong for the L/R speakers!! The dispersion characteristics need to be correct and to match.

Kal
                  Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by aud19
                    My Energy C-C3 has a unique solution to this as well with diagonally opposed mids above and below the tweeter.
                    Yet another compromise which will have wide horizontal dispersion only when the speaker is tilted!!!

Kal
                    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                      Yet another compromise which will have wide horizontal dispersion only when the speaker is tilted!!!

Kal
                      As I said, horizontal centres are a compromise but a matched main as your center speaker will always be best :T
                      Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by kurtholz
                        That's what makes the HTM1D such an attractive choice, you get the same thing as the 802D but sideway's, ( basically), debating on that or the HTM2D as my next move

upgradeitis still not cured

:-)

Kurt
                        NO KIDDING! Man if I could justify that center...... ;x(
                        Not only that, but 3 woofers, the thing weighs more then the 802s!!!!

I keep looking for that tree that grows money....

Something about a 205 lb Center channel..... :E
                        B&W

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                          I keep looking for that tree that grows money....
                          I've got one....sad part is, the fertilizer for it costs a FORTUNE :lol:
                          Jason

Comment

• SteveCallas
                            • Aug 2005

Continuing in the spirit of this thread , it's close, but the baffles between the mains and center are different.

Comment

• kgveteran
                              • Oct 2005

Ok.

Originally posted by Kal Rubinson
                              Yeah but now the mid/tweeter arrangement is wrong for the L/R speakers!! The dispersion characteristics need to be correct and to match.

Kal

Kal,
                              In the spirit of the forum, I have decided to build some over due speaker stands for my mains so they are tall enough.In the mean time I am using my old paradigms to get them up in the air and back on their sides with the proper orientation.After rewiring my equipment racks I now have more room to play with.

KG
                              Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2006

Originally posted by kgveteran
                                Kal,
                                In the spirit of the forum, I have decided to build some over due speaker stands for my mains so they are tall enough.In the mean time I am using my old paradigms to get them up in the air and back on their sides with the proper orientation.After rewiring my equipment racks I now have more room to play with.KG
                                OK. Should be interesting. Easier to build the correct stands for them than for those Energy C-C3 speakers; they would require a stand holding them at 45deg! :B

Kal
                                Kal Rubinson

Comment

• EAmin
                                  • Aug 2004

Thanks for all of the replies. Some good feedback to think about.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"