X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Suggestions as to whether Meridian is a suitable pre/processor upgrade

I'm planning an upgrade for the end of this year/early 2007 and it looks as though this could be a probable upgrade path:

1. Power amp: Replace Rotel RMB-1075 amp with a Krell KAV-2250 to drive the B&W Nautilus 804 rears. RMB-1075 will be relegated to living room stereo duty to drive the 2 B&W CM2 speakers for cd sound for the family (non-serious music duty).

2. Pre amp: Replace Rotel RSP-976 with a Meridian G61 for inputting to the Krells. RSP-976 to be sold/swapped for a Rotel RC-06 stereo pre-amp for living room duty.

3. Rotel RC-06 (as stated in 2 above) to be acquired to combine with RMB-1075, B&W CM2 speakers (stereo) & my old Rotel cd/dvd player for non-serious sound in the living room (girls domain, my domain being the lounge which is where the main system is).

What I need advice & opinion on is whether the G61 is a suitable upgrade. Is it too expensive for what you get (like B&O)?

Why the Meridian G61?

My thoughts as follows:

1. G61 is a significant upgrade to the RSP-976.
    2. I can live without video, balanced connector & room correction software duties offered by the G68 model for the next 3 to 4 years
    3. I plan to upgrade this newly acquired pre-amp only once new lossless audio formats are not only available but are also in use by serious music artists and recording studios. AND then such recording studios must produce great quality audio IN such lossless audio format ON an appropriate disc. Until then, I'm happy to transmit video from my source directly to plasma (as I'm doing right now via HDMI) and send audio via either analogue or digital to the G61. Likewise, balancing can come later. Room correction software too.

Why not the Meridian 861 Reference processor?

Not suited to my system imho. At almost 3x the price of a G61 for the standard unit, I can live without the slightly higher-end DAC's, the convenience of changing cards (which are not cheap) and all the other goodies it offers.

I'm still in research-mode at this point, so any suggestions (positive or negative) will be appreciated.

Thanks
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Other processors which I'm considering are:

Krell HTS 7.1 &
    Classe' Delta series SSP-300 & SSP-600

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

From what I know about Meridian gear, it's GREAT stuff but works best when you use their proprietary connections and ALL their gear together.

My opinion on the matter is this.

If you're going to spend big bucks NOW look long and hard at the Anthem D2. Otherwise look for an "inexpensive" interim unit or stick it out with your current gear until processors with HDMI 1.3 and the new HD audio formats start to appear (should start to arrive fall/winter).
      Jason

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

That's sensible advice, Jason. Thanks for that. :T

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. In the meantime I'll stick around in "research-mode" and keep my eye out for as much information as possible.

Comment

• Adz
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by aud19
          ....If you're going to spend big bucks NOW look long and hard at the Anthem D2. Otherwise look for an "inexpensive" interim unit or stick it out with your current gear until processors with HDMI 1.3 and the new HD audio formats start to appear (should start to arrive fall/winter).
          Great advice. Especially if you dont want to spend the bucks on a guaranteed upgradeable processor like the Lexicon or Theta. I think Meridian is as well at some model #.
          Adz

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

Krell is alway's great about upgrades, hardware or software, the HTS should meet the needs for many years out of the box, a whole lot has to happen with HDMI 1.3 before it's of any use,look at the current new formats, whoopee, 30 movies i already have to choose from.

when the HDMI 1.3 thing does become a real tool, Krell will have an answer that can be installed

my two cents

Kurt

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"