What do you think of this system? (please)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trudy
    • Jun 2006

What do you think of this system? (please)

Hi all,
    I want a great system and after some research have put the following system together, I'm not sure which sub to get. I am unable to demo any speakers where I live, I have heard a set of Boston Acousitcs, I love the look of the KEFS and have heard good things about them.
    What do you think?

Plasma =NEC (XR4)
    DVD =Integra (6.5)
    Receiver/Amp =Integra (5.6)

??Subwoofer =WHISE IMPULSE
    ??Subwoofer =VELODINE

SPEAKER FRONT =KEF XQ5
    SPEAKER REARS =KEF XQ1
    SPEAKER CENTRE =KEF XQ2C

Thanks
    Trudy :T
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

First, welcome to HTG :T

Second, an overall budget would be VERY helpful

Kef makes some very nice speakers :T You may also want to look at B&W, Energy, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Totem and Vienna Acoustics (to name a few). Though if you have no way of listening, that's pretty tough.... I REALLY don't recommend buying speakers without listening to a few different brands/models first...

As for a sub, you can't go wrong with SVS or HSU IMO, Velodyne makes great subs and their digital series EQ to your room which is GREAT but SVS and HSU offer more sub for the money. All are great products though, so you can't really go wrong :T

I'd recommend a Pioneer Elite plasma first (if you have the budget), if it's a little tight, I recommend a Panasonic plasma. For an even better display, have a look at the Sony SXRD RPTV units as well :yesnod:

I'd probably recommend something else for a DVD player. There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives for DVD out there as well as the new HD-DVD and BluRay players to consider. Are DVD-A and SACD as well as CD playback important to you or will you primarily use the unit for movies only?

Integra makes nice enough gear....I've just never been a big fan of there's. Again an idea of overall budget will help us make recommendations for amps and pre/pro or receiver.
    Jason

Comment

• Drewbert
      • Aug 2005

I agree with Jason, but look into the Sammy 1080p DLPs.... way better than the SXRDs... IMO
      -Drew

Comment

• adinfinitum
        • Apr 2006

If you're going for the Kef speakers, why not also go with the KEF sub. I own Kef fronts and sub. Their sub blends nicely. You might also be able to get a better deal from your retailer purchasing all speakers together.
        http://www.couchpotatosolutions.com.au/

Comment

• earwit
          • Jun 2006

What is your Budget, ????
          Kef have a great speaker line, but like other British speakers
          are very pricey based on the British pound conversion to the U.S. Dollar.

I would look at Canadian and American speakers for better value per dollar:
          Paradigm, Energy, NHT, Definitive Tech 's all excellent options.

Also would consider seperates , amp/pre-amp if budget allows,
          perhaps looking at quality used pieces, which could also apply to speakers.
          Last edited by earwit; 22 June 2006, 09:03 Thursday.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"