Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bvbellomo
    • Mar 2013

Anthem D1 Replacement or Troubleshooting

Long time member and lurker on the DIY audio forums. I was reasonably happy with DIY speakers + an Anthem D1 + a Cambridge Audio Amp. Watched the Browns game yesterday (at least they won) and noticed a buzzing over the audio that got worse as the game went on. Shut everything down individually and it still buzzed. Killed the surge protector so everything was dead, no more buzzing, problem solved - until today!

Turned on my system today, and no audio, buzzing only. Switched out my DIY speakers for an old pair of studio monitors, no improvement. So either my D1 died or my Cambridge amp died - I suspect the former. Since this equipment was old enough to legally drink, I was looking for a replacement over Black Friday, but found nothing at a price point I can afford that I'd consider an upgrade. I don't really need HDMI video - at least not that I'd pay thousands for. All I really need is something with an optical audio input and a XLR balanced stereo output. I am open to other ideas, including to troubleshoot what my problem really is, but I think buying a new preamp is the direction I should go. I do have another cheap/old receiver I may play with to troubleshoot, but I know it doesn't have XLR output, and might not even have pre-amp outputs at all.
  • Steve Manning
    • Dec 2006

You might want to check out Audiogon for something gently used. I've got some good deals over the years.
    Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• bvbellomo
      • Mar 2013

Thanks, I am very familiar with Audiogon, and have been looking, although it would be easier if I knew what I was looking for. Obviously another D1 would be a plug-in-play replacement, but I was just browsing black Friday deals for possible upgrades before it died.

The D1 is definitely dead, although I haven't tested my amp through XLR inputs (I don't have anything else with XLR outputs) it works fine otherwise. The D1 now won't even stay on if I connect a digital input - even if there is no output or other devices attached. Yesterday it stayed on but just buzzed, the day before, I actually had sound with the buzz in the background, and Saturday it was good as new.

I know Jon Marsh is a big fan of the Auralic Vega, and the Cambridge 851 at a lower price point. I can get the former used just under $2k and the latter just under $1k. Either of these tie me to 2 channel and coaxial/optical digital inputs - which is what I want now, but not exactly future proof. If I want to add a center later, or buy a new TV that only has HDMI for audio out, I am back to shopping again. Any advice between these 2? Or any other product worth considering? Above $10k and I am better just using either of these for a few years first, and below $10k and the only thing I find worth consideration are other Anthems.

Comment

• bvbellomo
        • Mar 2013

I decided on a Cambridge 851N which is supposed to be the same preamp Jon Marsh recommended, with some wifi and multimedia options.

It should arrive next week. I also picked up a SMSL DO100, which retails new for $216.86 shipped and measured really well on https://www.audiosciencereview.com/. So far, I am really impressed. I didn't get to listen to this head to head against the Denon D1, and went over a week without anything hifi. But to my ears, I can hear a lot of recording issues, depending on the source material, and nothing that seems like an amp or pre-amp artifact. This was meant as a temporary solution, as well as giving me something I can use to troubleshoot my system if something else fails, and a more portable solution if I want to test and measure a build in my garage. If you just want a bare-bones stereo setup with digital input without buying used equipment, it is really hard to beat this. I am sure someone like Jon will chime in talking about the superiority of analog volume controls and recommend something $10,000+ and the SMSL does have other devices over twice the cost that measure better, but for any system that costs less than a new car, it is going to be really hard to spend more on a DAC/preamp and get your money's worth. Looking forward to head-to-head listening against the 851N.

Comment

• bvbellomo
          • Mar 2013

The 851N arrived early, and I think I prefer it. In head-to-head listening sessions, there is no way with my equipment to measure the volume is even between sources, and I don't have the best tracks to compare. I do think the 851N sounds slightly richer and more harmonious, compared with a colder, more clinical DO100 - although that could just be my imagination. There certainly isn't anything sonically making the 851N worth retailing for almost 8 times the cost. Regardless, the streaming options on the 851N are great and it looks nicer (although some might prefer the smaller DO100), but overall, I think $600 anywhere else in a system, even a very expensive system, would go farther. In my case, that would probably be more expensive capacitors in my speaker crossovers. I'd recommend either of these preamps, but the DO100 more strongly, especially if you aren't looking for streaming over wifi (the DO100 bluetooth works fine).

Comment

• theSven
            Master of None
            • Jan 2014

Good feedback to hear how you like the 851N bvbellomo. Do you use Roon to stream music at all? Or what is the media you are using for your listening sessions?
            Painter in training

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"