X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bwalle
    • Jun 2006

Denon AVR-1803 turns off playing DVDs

I have an unusual problem with a Denon AVR--1803 that turns off when playing some DVDs. When playing some DVDs on a Sony DVP-NS725P over optical digital the Denon unit shuts off at volumes above -8 during loud passages. Anything quieter than -8 makes dialogue impossible to hear. I had an older Denon that I could crank up much more (near 0) and it would have no problems at all.

I can listen to other audio sources (CD) from the same DVD player with no problems. I can also listen to surround sound from a Motorola DVR unit from a cable broadcast program at higher volumes with no problem.

Has anyone ever seen similar problems with playing DVD movies? I suspect a signal problem in the Sony DVD player.

BTW - I tried RCA stereo plugs (Left and Right channel) and don't have this problem but that defeats the whole purpose of having a decent surround sound system, doesn't it?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Check your speaker wiring for shorts. All it takes is one stray strand of wire touching to cause precisely the symptoms you experience. When the channel in question is called upon to push some power, it gets overdriven and the receiver shuts down.

A quick way to identify the problem channel: run the test tones at full volume. If the receiver shuts down when the test tone hits say, the left surround speaker, then you know to check that speaker's wiring. Another option is to disconnect speakers one at a time and see if the problem goes away when you disconnect a specific speaker.

Since it only seems to happen with DVDs in surround, it's probably not the front left or right speakers. Concentrate on the center and surround speaker wiring.

P.S. What kind of speakers are you using?

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI bwalle,
      I would advise caution when trying to find shorts by intentionally letting the amps overload protection switch in. Having been in the hi fi repair business for many years, I know for sure that protection circuits are only marginally effective. It's quite possible to cause major damage by letting the amp troubleshoot the problem for you.

I would rather see you disconnect all speakers at the amp and see if the problem is corrected. If not, take it to your repairman. If yes, hook up one speaker at a time. Before doing this, inspect the speaker wires at the speaker to make sure there are no shorts at that end. I do think it's very possible that a speaker wire short is the problem.

Just because the amp does not output sound to surround speakers in 2ch stereo does NOT mean that the surround amp channels are disabled at least on the amps with which I am familiar. They are not. A short will still trigger the protection circuits.

Be careful.

Sparky

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"