X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anovak
    • Dec 2008

RMB 1095 Shuts Down

Greetings and hope someone here can help.

I've been having this problem ever since I've owned my RMB 1095 (about 2 years) and have tried practically everything I can think of to remedy, including most recently having a dedicated 20AMP circuit installed at Rotel's recommendation directly to the 1095 with nothing else plugged into it and it still shuts down. My home has a 200AMP service.

When I turn up the volume on my RSP1570 to around 84 (this may seem high, but with many dvd concert sources which is what I often listen to/watch, e.g. "Dire Straits Alchemy Live 20th Anniversary Bluray Edition" the source signal seems to be very low requiring greater amplification) and using the 5.1 Multi Bypass input on the 1570 coming from my Oppo BDP83, after about 20-30 minutes the RMB1095 shuts itself down. Sometimes all 5 channels shut down, couple of nights ago all but the center shut down, and I've had the center, front right and rear right shut down as well.....Happens when using HDMI input also.

I've been in contact with Shane Kea and Mike Sheehan who recommended the dedicated 20AMP circuit, but now that this has not fixed the problem I am out of answers. Tried different interconnects, examined all wires to my speakers (14ga. Straightwire, 4 conductor, speakers bi-wired) to no avail. Speakers are B&W 803S fronts, HTM3S center, 805S rears, ASW825 subwoofer.

Since it does not shut down immediately but rather after some time has passed, I am thinking a heat-related issue but I have arranged the stack of equipment so that the 1095 is at the very bottom with plenty of "breathing room." The cabinet is totally open to the front, large opening 14" wide down the center of the back to accomodate interconnects from one piece to the next and for heat dissipation, and there is 2.25" space to either side of the 1095. There is 13.5" space from the top of the 1095 to the next shelf up above it.

Anybody else had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? I am really frustrated at this point and out $600+ for the running of the 20AMP circuit (actually, I had 2 of these run so I had a dedicated circuit to plug the rest of my components into as well).

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Andy
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Did you try opening up the case and blowing out and dust in there. I could see that as a possible (though not truly likely) thing.

I'm thinking the something in the amp has started to fail, some of the caps or something like that.

Does it only happen when you have it turned up, ie can you run the unit much longer at a much lower level?

I'm thinking also the problem could be that the ohms are dropping below it's safe level and causing it to clip.

When the amp shuts down, can you power it off and back on and it works fine again for a while? If it's a heat issue it shouldn't come back on and work for more than a minute afterwards and shutdown again as the thermal sensors are then hitting their max much quicker.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by Anovak
      the source signal seems to be very low requiring greater amplification
      Hi Andy,

I had this problem with my RB-1080 a while ago. The cause of the problem was a switch at the back of the amp. It was on "Balanced" when it should have been on "Unbalanced". I am not familiar with the RMB-1095 but this may be worth checking.

Also, my Oppo has its own volume control which is sometimes turned down when other members of the family use the system. This should always be set to maximum.

Nigel.

Comment

• srb
        • Oct 2004

Although the RMB-1095 has balanced inputs, I don't believe there is a switch to switch between unbalanced and balanced like there is on the RB-1080.

It sounds like you have plenty of clearance and ventilation for the amplifier.

It is possible that one problem channel is causing the the whole amplifier to slightly overheat and shutting down various channels. You might try disconnecting one channel's input and speaker connections at a time, and go through your DVD concert routine and see if not using one particular channel makes the problem go away.

If so, you may be able to troubleshoot by swapping cables or speaker to identify a particular interconnect, speaker cable, speaker or amplifier channel that could be causing a problem.

Steve

Comment

• Anovak
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PewterTA
          Did you try opening up the case and blowing out and dust in there. I could see that as a possible (though not truly likely) thing.

I'm thinking the something in the amp has started to fail, some of the caps or something like that.

Does it only happen when you have it turned up, ie can you run the unit much longer at a much lower level?

I'm thinking also the problem could be that the ohms are dropping below it's safe level and causing it to clip.

When the amp shuts down, can you power it off and back on and it works fine again for a while? If it's a heat issue it shouldn't come back on and work for more than a minute afterwards and shutdown again as the thermal sensors are then hitting their max much quicker.
          Thanks, Pewter:

Haven't tried to blow out the interior but it's been doing this since it was new....I've just gone to not running it as high as I'd like and when I do, that's when it happens.

Only when turned up, can run for long as I want it to at lower levels.

Leave it alone for a couple minutes, power it back on and it will operate just fine unless I increase the level back up.....than it will shut down again.

Comment

• Anovak
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by bigburner
            Hi Andy,

I had this problem with my RB-1080 a while ago. The cause of the problem was a switch at the back of the amp. It was on "Balanced" when it should have been on "Unbalanced". I am not familiar with the RMB-1095 but this may be worth checking.

Also, my Oppo has its own volume control which is sometimes turned down when other members of the family use the system. This should always be set to maximum.

Nigel.
            Thanks, Nigel:

There are no switches on the RMB1095 to select balanced or unbalanced input mode, but thank you for mentioning it as a possibility.

Which model Oppo do you have? I am not aware that the BDP 83 has a volume control but will again look at the owner's manual.

Comment

• Anovak
              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by srb
              Although the RMB-1095 has balanced inputs, I don't believe there is a switch to switch between unbalanced and balanced like there is on the RB-1080.

It sounds like you have plenty of clearance and ventilation for the amplifier.

It is possible that one problem channel is causing the the whole amplifier to slightly overheat and shutting down various channels. You might try disconnecting one channel's input and speaker connections at a time, and go through your DVD concert routine and see if not using one particular channel makes the problem go away.

If so, you may be able to troubleshoot by swapping cables or speaker to identify a particular interconnect, speaker cable, speaker or amplifier channel that could be causing a problem.

Steve
              Steve, thanks for the suggestions:

I've tried most of what you mentioned in terms of diagnosing possible bad interconnects or speaker cables, but not in a sequential manner as you suggest. That might help to isolate the problem.

Thank you all for the suggestions so far. When I talked with Shane at Rotel, he was very surprised that I was turning my system up as high as I am and thought for sure it was the 15Amp circuit not delivering enough volts causing a danger and therefore the amp to shut down. Now that this has been eliminated for all practical purposes as the culprit, it seems necessary to troubleshoot all other possibilities before concluding that there is a problem with the amp itself.

Andy

Comment

• mjb
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Make sure the Oppo is set to maximum output, and control the volume form the pre-amp. The 1095's protection circuit triggers either from over temperature or over current (load drops below 2 ohms). I think the over-current protection is unique per channel, so this is probably whats happening. I would try using some poor quality bell wire for the speakers, not bi-wired, to increase the load impedance. If it still shuts down, then the protection circuit is probably too sensitive, and the unit should be serviced/replaced.
                - Mike

Main System:
                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Anovak
                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mjb
                  Make sure the Oppo is set to maximum output, and control the volume form the pre-amp. The 1095's protection circuit triggers either from over temperature or over current (load drops below 2 ohms). I think the over-current protection is unique per channel, so this is probably whats happening. I would try using some poor quality bell wire for the speakers, not bi-wired, to increase the load impedance. If it still shuts down, then the protection circuit is probably too sensitive, and the unit should be serviced/replaced.
                  Thanks, Mike. Again, I'm not aware that the Oppo BDP83 has a volume control but will take a look at the owners manual.

Whoops, edit this to reflect just checked the Oppo and in doing so it jogged my memory. I had seen the Vol + and - buttons on the remote when first setting up, set it to max, 100, so that is as it should be. Sorry for neurolapse!

Not too sure I follow you on the use of poor quality bell wire but I'm no expert in electronics. What do some of the rest of you think about this?

Andy
                  Born in Erlangen, by the way!

Comment

• madmac
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2010

My 2 cents??. Running the amp at 84 is too high....period. Your practically at 4 o'clock on a traditional volume dial!!. You are taxing the amp and it will clip, get hot and shut down (Not to mention potential damage to the unit!). Sounds like your speakers might require more power to operate than your Rotel can deliver. Are your speakers 8 ohm?.
                    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• mjb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2005

Did you remove the speaker bridging clips when you bi-wired them?
                      - Mike

Main System:
                      B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                      Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• Anovak
                        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by madmac
                        My 2 cents??. Running the amp at 84 is too high....period. Your practically at 4 o'clock on a traditional volume dial!!. You are taxing the amp and it will clip, get hot and shut down (Not to mention potential damage to the unit!). Sounds like your speakers might require more power to operate than your Rotel can deliver. Are your speakers 8 ohm?.
                        Madmac, yes.....the B&W 803S, HTM3S and 805S are all 8 ohm. I was told by the dealer and Rotel that the 200W/ch. the 1095 generates would be more than enough to power them.

Comment

• Anovak
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by mjb
                          Did you remove the speaker bridging clips when you bi-wired them?
                          Mike, yes.....the bridging clips are removed and have been since day 1 when I set the system up with the Straightwire to each speaker. The Straightwire has four conductors of 14ga. each. I have checked for polarity thinking I might have messed up somewhere but every one is precisely as it should be.

I, too, have thought that I shouldn't have to turn the amp up so high to get the sound I want. Previously, I had the system running with a Denon 3803 receiver rated at 90W per channel. It didn't sound as good, but I didn't have to turn it up nearly as high to get the same volume. I wonder what could be going on here.....?

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

Hi Anovak....8 ohm B&W speakers at 84 on the volume dial with a 200/w Rotel amp!!??. Holy cow... you like your stuff loud!!. I thought I was loud at 62-65 on my Rotel dial. Sounds like you need DJ style equipment to get the volume you want at this point !! :-)

Comment

• madmac
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2010

One other thing.....Is it a Digital Amp?. If so, go into the menus and see where you have the Db levels set for the speakers. They should be zero or higher. If you are seeing -9db settings then you have to re-calibrate from 0db's. This will make a huge difference in perceived loudness!.

Comment

• srb
                                • Oct 2004

One other thing.....Is it a Digital Amp?. If so, go into the menus and see where you have the Db levels set for the speakers. They should be zero or higher. If you are seeing -9db settings then you have to re-calibrate from 0db's. This will make a huge difference in perceived loudness!.
                                Well the RMB-1095 amp isn't digital, but the RSP-1570 processor is. But your reference to speaker levels did get me thinking about how the Oppo is hooked up to the RSP-1570 in this case.

Andy, you said you are using the 5.1 Multi Inputs on the RSP-1570. When using the Multi Inputs, the speaker level settings in the RSP-1570 are bypassed, and speaker levels must be set in the Oppo's Speaker Configuration menu.

Generally, you will set the most sensitive or efficient speaker to 0dB, then adjust the other speakers trim up +dB to match levels. Also in that menu you can check to see that Dynamic Range Control (compression) is set to Off or Auto (not to On), and if using 5.1 that the Down Mix is set to 5.1.

Have you also tried HDMI digital connection from the Oppo instead of the 5.1 analog Multi Outputs for comparison? I'm not sure which one is better, but the RSP-1570 is no slouch at decoding those high resolution formats.

If none of this changes anything, I still would recommend the one-channel at-a-time troubleshooting. It is possible that a speaker crossover or driver malfunction could result in a lower than normal impedance, or that one cable is causing a problem.

Steve

Comment

• Anovak
                                  • Dec 2008

Originally posted by srb
                                  Well the RMB-1095 amp isn't digital, but the RSP-1570 processor is. But your reference to speaker levels did get me thinking about how the Oppo is hooked up to the RSP-1570 in this case.

Andy, you said you are using the 5.1 Multi Inputs on the RSP-1570. When using the Multi Inputs, the speaker level settings in the RSP-1570 are bypassed, and speaker levels must be set in the Oppo's Speaker Configuration menu.

Generally, you will set the most sensitive or efficient speaker to 0dB, then adjust the other speakers trim up +dB to match levels. Also in that menu you can check to see that Dynamic Range Control (compression) is set to Off or Auto (not to On), and if using 5.1 that the Down Mix is set to 5.1.

Have you also tried HDMI digital connection from the Oppo instead of the 5.1 analog Multi Outputs for comparison? I'm not sure which one is better, but the RSP-1570 is no slouch at decoding those high resolution formats.

If none of this changes anything, I still would recommend the one-channel at-a-time troubleshooting. It is possible that a speaker crossover or driver malfunction could result in a lower than normal impedance, or that one cable is causing a problem.

Steve
                                  Steve, thank you for your observations.

First, it doesn't seem to matter whether I'm using the RSP1570's Multi Bypass input or the HDMI.....in fact, the Multi Bypass input seems to deliver a bit more volume and I attribute this to the DACs in the Oppo amplifying the signal a bit more than the ones in the Rotel RSP1570.

Second, I will check all the menu configurations in the Oppo to see that they are properly set as you indicate, but I do believe they are since that was one of the first things I did when I installed it into my system.

Last, I'm pretty curious about all this as I seem to have much more volume when playing a dvd-audio disc, or an sacd where I rarely turn the amp up more than about 70-75 to get reference level sound....so, my only conclusion is that with dvd concerts, the signal is somehow decresed in amplitude as it is recorded to the disc???

Doesn't quite make sense, but that's very likely only because I don't understand it!

Thanks again, and I will keep you posted as I'm working on this thing.

Andy

Comment

• madmac
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2010

Cd's will always play louder than dvd movies and concerts. It's just the way they are recorded and mastered. On mine, movies and concerts are always 68-70 on my dial and cd's are plenty loud enough @ 60-65. But dude???... You really like your stuff freakin' loud man!!. Your gonna' have hearing issues down the road !! :-)

Comment

• Anovak
                                      • Dec 2008

Cd's will always play louder than dvd movies and concerts. It's just the way they are recorded and mastered. On mine, movies and concerts are always 68-70 on my dial and cd's are plenty loud enough @ 60-65. But dude???... You really like your stuff freakin' loud man!!. Your gonna' have hearing issues down the road !! :-)
                                      Madmac, thank you for your concern :lol:

As I mentioned in my first post, the setting at 84 may seem a bit on the high side for you all but I'm not exaggerating, it really isn't all that loud! Even had my hearing checked a while back (friend who is a Dr. in audiology) and although I have some drop-off at certain frequencies, not much of a problem otherwise.

I really believe it's either the 1095 has issues or all the concerts I have just don't have a very hot signal......now that seems rather unlikely, doesn't it? Come across a couple, OK, that's life, but for all the dvd concerts to be so low in volume just seems strange.

You know, I have made the mistake occasionally of leaving the mute on in my vehicle sound system and then turning up the volume really high thinking, "what's wrong with this system today???" Then, I discover the mute is on and after turning it way down, disabling mute all is good to go again.

That's kind of what this seems like.....an amp with 200watts/channel X 5 on Thorazine or something??? Something's not right and after doing the tests Steve recommends I will know more.

Still waiting on Shane and Mike at Rotel to get back to me on this as they may have some other information that might resolve the problem or conclude that it is the amp itself....

Comment

• gear
                                        • Oct 2010

I realize you play it loud, but I've had an RMB-1095 since 2002 and it has never shut down, not even once. The RMB-1095 is a beast and it would take and incredible amount of load to shut it down.

I play mine loud for movies and music with no problem in a cabinet with only the front open and two RB-1050 amps stacked on top of the 1095. I have 4 channels bi-amped to my front towers and the 5th channel drives the center channel with the two RB-1050's handling the side and back surrounds. All my speakers are 6 ohm so that also places more load on the amp.

Here's a pic of it in the cabinet. http://www.htguide.com/forum/attachm...chmentid=18495

I do have a small computer fan installed in the lower part of the cabinet behind one of the RB-1050 amps to draw heat out. I never had a heat problem even before installing the small fan and even without the fan the 1095 was only warm even with the other two amps on top of it. I installed the fan as a precaution but it's only warm even without the fan. The RB-1050s actually run warmer than the 1095.

You may have problem with yours based on how I ran for many years without a fan and no problems.

BTW, many years ago before going to separates I had a Denon receiver that would shutdown at high volumes. I replaced my speaker wires one by one until I tracked it down to a bad wire. I couldn't see anything wrong with the wire but I tracked it down by using only the two front speakers and I swapped each of the wires from my 5.1 system with the front speakers and it turned out to be a wire one of my surrounds.

I replaced the wire and never had a problem again. I guess the bad wire was causing a short or more resistance at high volumes and causing the amp to shutdown.

Comment

• madmac
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2010

Ccccccccggh

Comment

• madmac
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2010

I agree with 'gear' of the wire thing. Wires can be a HUGE problem if there is a short in one of them. Did you check the db levels of the Oppo and RSP-1570 processor ?.

Comment

• Anovak
                                              • Dec 2008

I agree with 'gear' of the wire thing. Wires can be a HUGE problem if there is a short in one of them. Did you check the db levels of the Oppo and RSP-1570 processor ?.
                                              Gear, thanks for the suggestion and nice arrangement and rack. What are you using for a processor and what are your speakers?

1) Is it possible to test speaker wires without swapping them out? That is, is there an instrument of some kind that would pick up a bad wire?

2) As I have stated, the amp doesn't shut down immediately....it takes a while for it to shut down at that volume level, 84, so I'm still thinking faulty protection circuit. Wouldn't it shut down quickly if the problem were a speaker wire with bad conduction?

3) Madmac, please explain how one checks dB levels from the Oppo BR player and the RSP1570? Not sure I follow you on that. Thanks.

Footnotes:
                                              Another observation I made just a couple nights ago: I was playing Stevie Nicks, Soundstage Live listening to the 5.1 LPCM Uncompressed track. I switched over to the DD5.1 track and the volume remained approximately the same. Then, selected the LPCM Stereo track, processor went into 5CH Stereo mode, and the volume rose significantly to where 72 was plenty loud. The better quality uncompressed track needed so much more power that in order to hear it at the volume required I would have had to set the 1570 to 80 or even more! This would cause it to shut down after a short time, guaranteed.

Andy

Comment

• madmac
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2010

@Anovak....There should be a 'channel trim' section somewhere in your Oppo player whereby you can adjust the relative db level of each channel when using the analog outs. To help your volume issue, you could start off with all channels higher than 0db.. let's say setting them all to +5db and going from there with your SPL meter to level them off. This will greatly increase the overall perceived 'loudness' of the output signal whereby you will not need to push the amp so hard to get volume.

Comment

• madmac
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2010

Oh yes and by the way, PCM output will always be louder that DTS OR dolby digital. Not sure why though except maybe that's the way the various formats are processed. Hint hint,,,,,,,,when using the PS3 for Blu ray concert playback via toslink on a unit that does not decode DTS HD or Dolby digital HD, always select PCM output on the disc, and bitstream on the PS3, and set the Rotel to 5ch stereo. That way, you'll get 24 bit 2ch stereo output that the Rotel will absolutely destroy (In a good way!!).

Comment

• Anovak
                                                    • Dec 2008

@Anovak....There should be a 'channel trim' section somewhere in your Oppo player whereby you can adjust the relative db level of each channel when using the analog outs. To help your volume issue, you could start off with all channels higher than 0db.. let's say setting them all to +5db and going from there with your SPL meter to level them off. This will greatly increase the overall perceived 'loudness' of the output signal whereby you will not need to push the amp so hard to get volume.
                                                    Madmac, thanks.....just different language than I'm accustomed to. I've gone into the Oppo output volume and set it as high as it can be set and into the configuration menu wherein there are settings for the trim level for each speaker. I have them set to +5dB, and then I use the Rotel processor with the test tone to level. Good suggestion. I am getting ready to pull all the speaker wires and inspect them visually, then try to find the issue through process of elimination. It IS possible that a rodent might have chewed into one of the rears as these are run through the crawl space of my home, but not very likely. In any case, I will pull and examine each one. Then, on to the interconnects if I don't have any luck with the speaker wires.

As far as the dB levels on the Rotel RSP1570 are concerned, they can be reduced for each channel but 0dB is as high as they go. From there, the master volume simply increases dB's I suppose for all channels once you've reduced those that require reductions. That may not have made perfect sense... 8O

Comment

• madmac
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Aug 2010

@ Anovak... sounds like your in a good direction now!! Good luck!!. However, most wiring is VERY reliable. That is very unlikely your issue unless like you said, a rodent has chewed into your wiring!!. Can't imagine why a rodent would be interested through chewing plastic wiring though :-) !!

I would say though that it is probably a good idea to change all wiring every 10 years or so just to be safe. Technology in all aspects of electronics progresses very quickly....including wiring. I recently changed my RCA analog out wiring from older 'Monster's' to new 'Belkin's' and noticed quite an apparent difference in sound quality!!

Comment

• srb
                                                        • Oct 2004

Originally posted by Anovak
                                                        As far as the dB levels on the Rotel RSP1570 are concerned, they can be reduced for each channel but 0dB is as high as they go. From there, the master volume simply increases dB's I suppose for all channels once you've reduced those that require reductions. That may not have made perfect sense...
                                                        The Test Tone speaker levels do not apply to the Multi Inputs or when Bypass mode is selected for any other input. Otherwise, you should be able to increase speaker levels up to at least + 9dB.

Steve

Comment

• Anovak
                                                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by srb
                                                          The Test Tone speaker levels do not apply to the Multi Inputs or when Bypass mode is selected for any other input. Otherwise, you should be able to increase speaker levels up to at least + 9dB.

Steve
                                                          Madmac, when I had the 2 @ 20amp circuits run, I went down there myself to see what the electrician was doing and found one such wire, a 15amp going to the fuse box from under had been chewed on....got me, maybe lookin like string cheese or sumpin! :lol:

Steve, thank you for your observations and you are precisely right about the test tones not applying to the multi input. I'm not sure about increasing the speaker levels up +9dB though....is that by increasing the test tone levels up dramatically all around? Otherwise, the only volume level setting I'm aware of is in the main menu when you select the input, you have an option there but as I stated, it only allows for decreasing, not increasing.

If the test tone level can be increased that way for all other inputs, that may be why the multi input which is analog always sounds louder than the rest. Maybe I just bring up the test tone levels for each channel and I get the volume in the digital inputs up to what the analog multi input is? Make sense? I'll try that and thanks again.

Andy

Comment

• srb
                                                            • Oct 2004

Yes, the Input Setup menu allows each input to be attenuated (decreased) from 0dB in the INPUT ATT. field. This allows you to adjust all inputs to have the same loudness level relative to each other.

The Test Tone menu is where you adjust the relative levels for each speaker to compensate for varying sensitivity between speakers. This is where you would have the +/- 9dB adjustment range, but again these are not available for Bypassed or Multi inputs.

Steve

Comment

• madmac
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2010

@Anovak....did you check into the Oppo db settings for the 5.1 analog outs?. Are you able to increase db speaker levels there?.

Comment

• Anovak
                                                                • Dec 2008

@Anovak....did you check into the Oppo db settings for the 5.1 analog outs?. Are you able to increase db speaker levels there?.
                                                                Madmac, I don't believe the Oppo has any dB settings for just the analog outs, but I WAS able to tweak the level quite a bit setting the trim in the "Speaker Settings" menu up to +10 on each channel. Then, tweaked the RSP1570's channel output through the test tone menu by bringing them all up to max, then going back and leveling off to create the proper balance. So far, so good, and it has really increased the volume.....to where I am now in the 50-60 range rather than where I was before, 75-85 range. I need to play with this some more because not only did it raise the signal input strength, I presume, from the Oppo by increasing the trim, but it has also altered the sound somewhat and I haven't listened enough yet to be able to issue a :T :^x or yet! I'll keep you posted.

Andy

Comment

• madmac
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2010

Yes, changing the Oppo 'Trim' levels is exactly what I was talking about. You are basically raising the db level output of the analog out's. Also and yes, by now only playing your Rotel at 50-60 on the dial is definitely going to 'alter' the sound somewhat. However, the 60 level on the volume dial is somewhat 'normal' from a listening volume point of view. What you were doing before in the 80+ range was clipping the amp and that produces a lot of strain and increases distortion dramatically. Trust me, you are better off now from a sound point of view even though it will take you a little time to get used to it. If you really don't like the sound after listening to it awhile, set the oppo to +5 instead which will likely bring your desired listening level up on the Rotel to 68-70 or so which is still ok. 80+ on the dial is not ok!.

Comment

• Anovak
                                                                    • Dec 2008

Yes, changing the Oppo 'Trim' levels is exactly what I was talking about. You are basically raising the db level output of the analog out's. Also and yes, by now only playing your Rotel at 50-60 on the dial is definitely going to 'alter' the sound somewhat. However, the 60 level on the volume dial is somewhat 'normal' from a listening volume point of view. What you were doing before in the 80+ range was clipping the amp and that produces a lot of strain and increases distortion dramatically. Trust me, you are better off now from a sound point of view even though it will take you a little time to get used to it. If you really don't like the sound after listening to it awhile, set the oppo to +5 instead which will likely bring your desired listening level up on the Rotel to 68-70 or so which is still ok. 80+ on the dial is not ok!.
                                                                    Madmac, very good, and I will continue to listen and tweak until I get the sound right.

Are you certain that the trim level settings in the Oppo refer to the analog outputs only? I am under the impression that the HDMI output also sounds much louder now that I have tweaked the trim.....or, could it be that this is so because I used the test tone controls on the RSP1570 to bring up the volume in the digital realm?

I am still waiting on Rotel to return my emails....calls....to go over this with them. It just might be that this issue is finally understood and remedied thanks to you and others like Steve who were so helpful.

Comment

• madmac
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Aug 2010

@Anovak....I have no real experience with HDMI audio but it would not surprise me that the trim settings would apply to both analog and HDMI audio sections.

Enjoy your new found volume !!

ps...Rotel will not offer up anything different than we have discussed in this thread :-) I don't think there is anything wrong with your Rotel.

Comment

• madmac
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Aug 2010

......but.....if your Rotel shuts down while listening at 65 on the dial, then there IS something wrong with it !! :-)

Comment

• Anovak
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2008

......but.....if your Rotel shuts down while listening at 65 on the dial, then there IS something wrong with it !! :-)
                                                                          Hi Madmac.....yup, can't argue with that and so far, it has not. We'll see when I do another marathon concert evening with friends.....playing at fairly high levels for several hours will be the ultimate test and I hope it fares well. Kinda embarrassing when all this hi-dollar stuff malfunctions like that.....sorta like sittin on the side of the road in a Mercedes with the hood up and stalled out! ops:

Aside from that, and my friends are always very supportive and encouraging when this has happened.....e.g. "here, have another glass of cab and things will feel better....etc.etc." :roll: it has cost Rotel at least 2 sales. A couple of my friends were so impressed with the sound that they were seriously contemplating getting the same amp and processor as mine, but now aren't so sure....and still, no reply from Rotel.

Comment

• madmac
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Aug 2010
                                                                            • 3122

When I switched from my higher end Yamaha to my Rotel, I couldn't believe the difference in the sound!. I literally sat there for hours and proceeded to play all my music one by one and marveled at the difference in the sound quality and presentation. It was almost like there had been some sort of filter on my sound for years before that!. I've never looked back since!. Rotel is not free of issues but their audio and amps ROCK!!.

Comment

• Anovak
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2008
                                                                              • 52

#39
                                                                              When I switched from my higher end Yamaha to my Rotel, I couldn't believe the difference in the sound!. I literally sat there for hours and proceeded to play all my music one by one and marveled at the difference in the sound quality and presentation. It was almost like there had been some sort of filter on my sound for years before that!. I've never looked back since!. Rotel is not free of issues but their audio and amps ROCK!!.
                                                                              UPDATE

Heard back from Rotel yesterday but unfortunately was at the office when Shane Kea called. They are aware of the problem and will try to call me back today. They've been dealing with weather issues, 2 feet of snow out there in Boston I guess, so understandably delayed in getting to business. Sure like those guys! Hopefully we'll get things figured out soon.

Madmac, you're right on about the sound and I did much the same thing after getting my Rotel equipment. The only pieces that I've heard that might be even better were the McIntosh system I heard in Dallas about 4 years ago....blew me clean outta my socks, but a big part of that was likely the "near perfect" room they were displayed in.....16x26ft, trapezoid, acoustic treatment all around etc. etc. The bass particularly impressed, and when the salesman told me there was NO SUB I had to walk over and put my hand on the sub cabinet to reassure myself it was not playing!!! All that was hooked up to the Mac power amp and processor were 8 B&W 805S's, 2 for the center, one each left and right front and left and right rear, and 2 rear center.....it was a real "ear-opener" for me.

By the way, you mentioned Supertramp, BIA and I would concur....beautifully recorded, and Crime Of The Century is also very, very good if you haven't heard that yet? Your comment earlier about the quality of the original recording being key is well-taken.....while I don't think 44/16 is the best format out there, it CAN sound pretty darn good witness those two discs as well as some of Fagen's stuff, and spin Kamakiriad sometime to get an idea of that....

Andy

Comment

• madmac
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Aug 2010
                                                                                • 3122

#40
                                                                                All music (99% anyway) Is digitally recorded now, mostly starting out in 24 bit. There is no more analog on the whole. CD mastering has come leaps and bounds since the cd's of the 80's and 90's. They are much better, warmer and well rounded sounding now. There were very few good sounding cd's back then. Supertramp and GRP stuff were particularly good sounding discs at the time. Now, almost everything sounds good now on cd. I have no complaints about anything in any format that I'm hearing now. And, your talking to a guy that will not listen to anything unless it's well recorded and sounds good!!!.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"