X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • texasbwfan
    • Sep 2005

iPod problems w/ Pioneer Elite VSX-74TXVi

All,

I recently upgraded my receiver from the VSX-56TXI to the VSX-74TXVI. All of my gear is connected per the instructions provided by Pioneer including my 40G iPod Photo. The 'ready for iPod' connection as sold by Pioneer has been a gigantic disappointment for me thus far. I'm able to navigate through my iPod menu's with the Pioneer remote but I'm unable to play music. Each time I queue a song to be played, the song will appear to play via the on screen tv display but there is no audio output??

The on screen display for the iPod appears to be a rush job by Pioneer. In my opinion, they should have taken more time to produce a better interface for the iPod. I'm now seriously regretting my 'upgrade' as the unit is not working as it was designed to. I've tried numerous combinations of connections and have verified that my iPod is in fact still working...it's just not producing audio when connected via the Pioneer 'ready for iPod' connection.

Has anyone had success in connecting their iPod to this new receiver? If so, what exactly did you do to get it working correctly? The instructions provided with the receiver for this feature are weak at best. Any assistance that can be provided via this forum would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by texasbwfan; 27 October 2005, 20:05 Thursday. Reason: Issue Resolved
    texasbwfan
  • texasbwfan
    • Sep 2005

FYI - I've now spoken with two technicians from Pioneer's Customer Support. They were unable to provide any guidance to correct my issue. They are now attempting to re-create the problem using a 74TXVi that they have on site. Pioneer will be calling me back once they've had a chance to do further research.
    texasbwfan

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

We hope that Pioneer can work out the issue for you. In the interim I would check the simple things, first the cabling, switch it out with another one if possible, just to elimintate that as an issue. Secondly, I would read the troubleshooting guide in the manual and check the settings on your IPOD.

After all that, it could actually relate to bad components on the receiver itself.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke
      Last edited by Azeke; 17 October 2005, 19:44 Monday.

Comment

• texasbwfan
        • Sep 2005

Azeke,

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately, I'm unable to determine whether or not the cabling is bad since I'm using the proprietary cable included with the receiver from Pioneer. I don't have another cable to use but I'll ask my dealer if he's got an extra one I can borrow for comparison. I've verified that there is nothing wrong with my iPod by hooking it up via RCA cables...no problem in playing audio with this approach. The trouble shoot guide found at the back of my owners manual was not very helpful. Hopefully I get a call back from Pioneer soon. As you can imagine, I'm anxious to utilize the iPod functionality of my receiver. Keep your fingers crossed for me,

texasbwfan
        texasbwfan

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Nick, even if the RCA connectors on the iPod are working, it doesn't necessarily mean that the "proprietary" connnector is. Well, unless it's the same connection on the iPod that is. Can you get a friend's iPod (or possibly one from your retailer) and check to see if that one gets the same result?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• texasbwfan
            • Sep 2005

Good idea, David.

I'll borrow an iPod from a friend at work and see whether or not I can get a different iPod working. Still pending a call back from Pioneer...I'll let you know how it works out.

Nick
            texasbwfan

Comment

• texasbwfan
              • Sep 2005

I've now tried a different iPod...same result. I'm placing another call to Pioneer for assistance. The saga continues...
              texasbwfan

Comment

• texasbwfan
                • Sep 2005

Problem is now fixed!!! I went home this afternoon for lunch and used the Pioneer cable to plug directly into my iPod...bypassing the iPod docking station. To my amazement, the fucntionality is now working perfectly!! There is a slight delay when scrolling through my iPod music collection using the Pioneer but nothing to complain about. The track information displays on both the receiver and my television. The audio quality using the Pioneer cable is actually better than using RCA cables. I'm not sure exactly why...but the sound quality is definitely better. All in all, I'm extremely pleased with my upgrade. I no longer miss my VSX-56TXi.
                texasbwfan

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Excellent, Nick! :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Jack Keck
                    • Jan 2005

I know next to nothing about what this thread was about, but got this wierd feeling that the solutin would be something simple, laike an alternative hook-up.

Glad to see that you're in business.
                    Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

This is wonderful news.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• texasbwfan
                        • Sep 2005

Wonderful news indeed. I will be playing with the Pioneer/iPod combo some more this evening. My neighbors are going to love me. ;-)
                        texasbwfan

Comment

• Jack Keck
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by texasbwfan
                          My neighbors are going to love me. ;-)
                          You gotta watch that. I had a friend who waas living n an upper flat. He liked classic and Celtic music. He was enjoying his music one night whin he got a call from the downstairs neighbor....

asking him to turn it UP!
                          Jack

"I walked in a lot of place that I never shoulda been, but I know that the Messiah, He will come again."

Roy Buchanan

Comment

• Rolyasm
                            • Dec 2004

Yo Texas,
                            I was looking at the VSX-74TXVi. I don't have an Ipod, so not a big draw there. The XM radio looks cool, but I think you still have to buy a seperate piece for it. Anyway, have you noticed any improvement in sound or anything over your 56Txi? I looked at the 59Txi, and it certainly doesn't warrent the extra 3k in cash for it. So probably the 74 or 56 models. I have the elite 47ai DVD, so I am excited to see if the i-link is really that much better. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

• texasbwfan
                              • Sep 2005

I noticed a significant improvement in sound quality with the 74 compared to my 56. The 76 has 140w/channel vs. 110w/channel with the 56. The 74 has a 9 band equalizer compared to the 5 band equalizer within the 56. Definitely a better overall sound for both movies and music since purchasing the 74. The only drawback in my opinion is the remote...there's no backlight on the remote! I'll be buying a master remote here in the next couple of months to solve that problem. I'm not a fan of XM so I haven't utilized that feature, the iPod functionality is great. Good luck on your purchase.
                              texasbwfan

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"