X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TommyW
    • Apr 2006

Marantz SR7500 Receiver

Hello I just recently ordered this receiver and in another thread was asking questions about selecting a HDTV Plasma when someone pointed out that the receiver I ordered wouldnt be able to be hooked up to the plasma because its missing certain connections.

In order to watch HD DVD's and cable what do I need to do? Should I send the receiver back and get something else or buy additional components or a certain type of plasma?

I thought by the reviews and it being $800 I was getting a good one and would just need to go get a tv now.
  • gd
    • Jan 2003

Well, you gotta do a little more homework than that.

The 7500 is an excellent receiver in its price range, and should serve you well unless utmost switching convenience is a priority... I suggest connecting the video portion of your HD-DVD and cable directly to your plasma, and the audio portions directly to your 7500.

If you're looking for the ultimate in a hi-def central switching unit in an AV receiver, it probably doesn't exist yet... there are a few with HDMI video switching, but the entire HDMI audio and video standard is not resolved yet.

Also, plasma TVs vary quite a bit in their connection setups and resolution... even moreso than the AV receiver, for the plasma you need to do serious research so you know exactly what you're getting.
    greg (gd to you)
    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• TommyW
      • Apr 2006

So I need to buy a plasma with a HD tuner built in and enough outlets for all the video devices?

I'm just a bit confused because I thought that was the point of the receiver to be the junction point for all audio and video. Did I waste me money?

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I would get a receiver with HDMI instead. You don't necessarily need HDMI, component cables should work to get bothy HDTV and HD-DVD, but it's better to be safe than sorry IMO.
        Jason

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TommyW
          So I need to buy a plasma with a HD tuner built in and enough outlets for all the video devices?... I'm just a bit confused because I thought that was the point of the receiver to be the junction point for all audio and video. Did I waste me money?
          The receiver can be the 'junction point' -- if sufficiently equipped -- but it doesn't have to be... everybody has different agendas and preferences... personally, I connect all video sources direct to the TV because it guarantees the shortest, cleanest route and (theoretically) the best picture... I don't care about pushing a couple extra buttons on the remote.

Again, if your priority is to have the utmost in switching convenience, AND have the latest hi-def video connections (HDMI), then the 7500 is not enough... and to replace it with an advanced AVR right now will limit your choices and cost more money (HDMI is relatively new).

If it was me, I would stick with the 7500 and expect to upgrade it in 2-4 years... and otherwise get the most loaded plasma I could, and make that the long-term investment... and live with mild inconvenience.

But my priorities are likely different than yours.
          greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by gd
            ... and to replace it with an advanced AVR right now will limit your choices and cost more money (HDMI is relatively new).
            There's a decent count of receivers in and around that price range with HDMI
            Jason

Comment

• gd
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by aud19
              There's a decent count of receivers in and around that price range with HDMI
              $800?... With, say, Marantz or Pioneer Elite sound quality? (though I suppose that's not everyone's priority).

Names, please... I am curious to know, if only to advise friends.
              greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Most of the mass market companies have HDMI in that or just a notch up at around $1000. Then you get a step up in SQ and HDMI with the Rotel 1057 with a couple hundred above $1000
                Jason

Comment

• mattburk
                  • Feb 2003

For great sound, that marantz is great. It will up convert all composite and s video to component. If you do that you will only have two video connections going to the TV, one component with all the s, composite and compnent video being run through the avr and then an direct run of hdm/dvi going from the DVD to the TV.
                  I would stick with the avr you chose, and then only consider upgrading when the 1.3v hdmi's come out.
                  Last edited by mattburk; 21 April 2006, 14:55 Friday.
                  www.mycstone.com
                  www.coverednow.com
                  www.biarenton.com

Comment

• TommyW
                    • Apr 2006

Thank you, I think I'l keep it and upgrade with the 1.3's then. Thanks everyone.

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

FYI, without HDMI you will also have to run 5.1 analog cables from your HD-DVD/BluRay to take advantage of the DD/DTS-HD surround formats.
                      Jason

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Sort of a side note here....

What's your overall budget for receiver, source player, speakers/sub, display and cabling?

Also what brand/model speakers are you planning on running off of this receiver and 5.1 or 7.1? Related to that, how big is your room? Unless your room is QUITE large I'll always recommend a higher quality 5.1 setup over a mediocre 7.1 setup.

Help us out with some further info and we can help you out This is no small undertaking and the better armed with info you are, the happier you and your family will be with the equipment you choose :T
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"