X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • len73
    • Jan 2005

Rotel or Denon ?

Hello over there !

The fact is that I recently have sold all my audio-systems (HiFi and HT). I will buy some new stuff (Amp or Reciever + Loudspeakers) in a few weeks, but, before making some tests at my dealer, I would like to ear your opinion about my initial choice. Well, after reading a lot (on the Internet but also paper-magazines) I came to this selection :
    Either Denon AVC-A11XV (Which should be the 4806-model in the States) or a Rotel Pre and Amp (RSP-1068 + RMB-1075 or 1077) or the Receiver (RSX-1067).

For what box ?? will you ask... (still open) : either Canton Vento series or Kef IQ series (my dealer's favorite choice together with the Rotel Stuff)...

Thanks a LOT for your advice and help !

Len
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

My vote is for 1) Rotel seps 2) Rotel receiver 3) Denon.

I had a Denon 881 and was not happy with 2 ch listening plus every now and then my Denon would magically turn itself all th way up on volume. My then Polk RT20p took the power faithfully.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

If music is at all a priority forget about the Denon, Rotel will give you a far better musical performance. If however you're more of a fan of all the latest HT bells and whistles the Denon may be more up your alley.
      Jason

Comment

• storello
        • Mar 2006

I agree with Jason and came up with my own compromise. While not ideal, I have a Denon receiver which drives my centers, and surrounds and a Rotel 2 channel amp driving the mains (fed from the Denon). This fit my meager budget while improving 2 channel music considerably. The 6.1 surround quality isn't too shabby either. I noticed a big improvement in music, especially at lower volumes, when I added the Rotel. Prior to that I had to blast the Denon to get it to sound OK.

The best improvement to the 6.1 sound was achieved by upgrading the speakers to better match the mains. I have older Energy speakers so I wound up spending quite a bit of time on eBay assembling a matching set, but it was worth the effort :-)

Comment

• eddiem67
          • Jun 2004

I would go with Rotel Canton combo. My ventos sound beautiful, I leave my sub off half the time
          My Car Audio

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Welcome to the forum Len.

I concur with Jason, Denon is primarily for HT, where as Rotel would satisfy you both with music and HT. I own the Rotel separates and couldn't be happier. (Well, I could but it would cost considerably more $$$$$). However, with that being said, Denon (the newer series) has HDMI (1080P) switching, where the Rotel does not, just another thought to consider.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• mattburk
              • Feb 2003

rotel then marantz
              www.mycstone.com
              www.coverednow.com
              www.biarenton.com

Comment

• len73
                • Jan 2005

Hello !

Many thanks for all your comments and advice ! It's highly appreciated !

Yes, I have to admit that music really does matter to me. Therefore, despite the fact that I will certainly listen to both models, I will preferably go for the Rotel combo (Pre and Amp). To say the very truth I prefer a pure and big sound instead of "trickering thousands of buttons with hundreds of EQ-Possibilites". HDMI is also not what I need most, as my DVD player is very well equipped !

@ eddiem67 : You said you are running Ventos on Rotel Stuff : could you please give me some more details about your system ?

Thanks in advance !

Comment

• eddiem67
                  • Jun 2004

actually I am running bryston SP2/6BSST with my ventos. Having denon receiver before, I thought it sounded very good until I upgraded to bryston. Never had Rotel, but I just feel seperates are the way to go, if you can afford it. Not into bells and whistles
                  My Car Audio

Comment

• sirbogey
                    • Mar 2006

Len, budget based, but the proper way of making a decision:

1. Proper speakers
                    2. Rotel separates
                    3. Rotel receiver :grab:
                    4. Denon

I bought all my gear in Switzerland 4y ago. Don't forget to check out piega speakers, they sound great with my Rotel RSX-1055 (pre-pre version of the 1057). I move from country to country too much, so a receiver is more than enough. For 60% opcorn: and 40% ;b> , a Rotel receiver is a powerful tool. You could also add an amp later on. Unless you are really a music addict, then go for separates.

Check out www.piega.com, they are from Horgen, close to Zurich. Great quality, great design. I got mine custom painted. :scareboo:

Comment

• len73
                      • Jan 2005

Thanks for your help !

At this stage, my choice is almost done for the pre-amp. It will be a RSP-1068 for pre and a RMB-1075 for amp.

The only problem I have now concern the speakers. In fact, the place I will make use of my system for the 3 next years is of about 12sqm. Not that much, I know ! But as I will move in my own house after that, and considering the fact that this is an investment for the forthcoming years, I also do not want to buy "undersized"...

Considering this space, which sepaker do you think would fit the best :

- Canton Vento 809/807/805/SW850
                      - KEF iQ9/iQ7/iQ6c/PSW3500
                      - KEF XQ5/XQ1/XQ2c + Sub (???)
                      - B&W 703/705/HTM7/ASW750

Or would you go smaller (bookshelfs like B&W705*4 or KEF XQ1*4) ?

Budget for the speakers is of about 8-10' US$ (cables NOT included !)

Thanks for your advice !

Len

Comment

• htsteve
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

B&W Nautilus

Len,

If the budget is $8 to $10K US, then I might suggest the following (I believe these are the list USD prices, i'm going from memory). For an order like this
                        you should be able to get 5 to 10% off.

B&W 804S - $4000
                        B&W HTM3s - $2000
                        B&W 705 - $1500
                        B&W ASW750 - $1600
                        Total $9100
                        w/10% disc. $8190

I currently run the 804's, HTM1 and 705's as surrounds and a Martin Logan Depth sub. They are powered by Rotel 1068 pre, 1095 amp and a 1080 amp for the 804's. A would strongly suggest an 1080 for your mains. Any of these main speakers you are considering will appreciate it. I enjoy my setup immensely. Obviously, I believe the B&W's and the Rotel make a good match. But let your ears decide.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"