X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boe
    • Jul 2004

HDMI vs. DVI

I heard some people say that you can just get an adapter for HDMI cables to make them work with DVI so I give myself a cable more likely to be good for the future. I heard a few people say that the converters can degrade the picture.

Can I get an HDMI to DVI cable to look as good as straight DVI?
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

HDMI and DVI are signal compatible (HDMI is just an extended version of DVI with a different type of connector). The HDMI-DVI adapters are simply connector adapters, they don't do anything to the signal. Therefore, assuming decent quality cables and adapters, converting between the two shouldn't cause any degradation in the image.

Instead of using an adapter, you can buy cables with a DVI connector on one end and HDMI on the other.

BTW, I'm moving this thread to Home Theater since it isn't relevant to the CAT Cables forum (since CAT doesn't presently manufacture DVI or HDMI cables).

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

What he said

I will add that you may be right Boe, if you get a HDMI cable with a DVI adapter, (as upposed to a cable with either connector on each end) the cable may be slightly more future-proof. Just make sure you get quality versions of both the cable and adapter. Try Forum Sponsor Parts Express (link at bottom of page)
      Jason

Comment

• CJ Paul
        • Oct 2004

I dont know that you can just convert from HDMI to DVI with no consiquences. "The Secrets" says in their reviews that some players do not handle the conversion correctly.

"Also, if you convert the HDMI signal to DVI, the RGB levels remap to PC levels and truncate the below black and above white information, so I don't recommend this player in that application."

Comment

• BlazeMaster
          • May 2004

so in other words, put a display that has HDMI over one that has DVI?

Comment

• CJ Paul
            • Oct 2004

Not necessarily, however, there are no reported issues of converting DVI to HDMI. I guess its a preference thing. I already have a DVI display, so I need either a DVI player or an HDMI one that is KNOWN to map the conversion correctly. Once I'm aware of that, I can move forward.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"