X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greenjudas
    • Mar 2005

cable questions

I have just purchased a Canon LV S3 projector.I will be using it with a Harman Kardon dvd player.The Canon has a D-sub[vga],s video and composite connections.My H/K dvd has scart,s video and composite connections. What do you think would be my best option.Is there such a cable as scart to d sub?The easiest option would be to get a s video cable but I realise that isn't the best.How would a quality s video cable perform in comparison to a middle of the road component cable.Obviously I don't have component,but would like to know if I could get pretty good picture quality with s video.Any advice will be greatly appreciated.......Jeff
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Jeff,

I would just purchase a very good s-video cable. You could probably order a specialized cable, but that would just cost more money and probably not provide significant video improvement. Just my humble opinion.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• greenjudas
      • Mar 2005

Azeke,thanks for your help.If I was to get a decent s video,it would be around 30ft,is that going to be too long and would I suffer PQ loss.If it is too long a run,what should the max be in your opinion?

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by greenjudas
        Azeke,thanks for your help.If I was to get a decent s video,it would be around 30ft,is that going to be too long and would I suffer PQ loss.If it is too long a run,what should the max be in your opinion?
        You're welcome Jeff.

A 30 ft run should be fine, I have seen runs of up to 100 ft with S-video. I would be comfortable with 50 ft max run, anything longer than that I would be somewhat concerned with video signal degredation.

Check out our forum owner (Lex) at Catcables.com, quality cables at a fair price.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• greenjudas
          • Mar 2005

Yeah,I was hoping Lex might offer his opinion to my questions.........Lex.......Lex.......are you there? :Z

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I would pursue the higher connections, as they CAN give a noticeable improvement on video quality. Those connections you have definitely are non-standard, so I have NO idea if there is such a thing as SCART to D-sub, but you can check.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• MarkR
              • Jan 2005

Scart to VGA adaptor is what you need. Might take a little time to track one down but worth the effort IMO.

Comment

• MarkR
                • Jan 2005

Here you go...

wwwhaudi

Look under distributors, they have a shop in Sydney.

Comment

• wkhanna
                  Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by greenjudas
                  Yeah,I was hoping Lex might offer his opinion to my questions.........Lex.......Lex.......are you there? :Z
                  FYI

I just received my first ever purchase from Doug at Cat Cables. 2 ea. of the one-meter S-video cables. He was very busy when I placed my order, yet they still arrived in less than a week!

I was, at one time, a manufacturing engineer at Zenith Inteq, a division of Zenth Corp. that made TEMPEST Grade computers (which featured EMF & EMI levels next to Zero) for the US State Dept. and US Air Force; where one of my responsibilities was the cable-assembly production line.

I’m impressed with the look, materials, finish, and quality of workmanship.

I have just hooked up my first pre/pro (RSP-1066) using the new S-video cables; DVD< >pre/pro< >TV. I tried an AB using my original Mass Market ($45) cable running from the DVD to TV. The two Cat cables in combination with the pre/pro have slightly better PQ!
                  _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                  ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"