X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jimmyp58
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

1098 video setup question

I think I know the answer but just to be sure. I have two Sony M555ES 400 disc CD carousels. I will connect each of them to the 1098 via digital coaxial input. No problem here. The question I have is, each of them has a video out via composite that I currently connect to my HDTV; I wish to connect them to the 1098 via the video input (composite) so they can be seen on the TFT display. I think I can do this and I'll need to define this in the setup as CD 1 Video 1, CD 2 video 2 but I just want to be sure.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Jim
    jpiscitello@ameritech.net
  • skipm
    • Jun 2003

Jim-

You can connect up to 8 devices to the 1098. Video 1 - 5, and 3 Audio devices, CD, Tuner, and Tape. You can assign any of the video inputs to any of the sources, even the audio ones. So in your case you could connect one of your CD players to the CD input and assign video 1 to it. You can then connect your second CD player to any of the other inputs, video or audio and assign another video input to it. Let's say you use the Tuner input foryour second CD player. You can then assign a new name to the tuner input on the 1098 and the remote so when you select it, it says CD2 and not Tuner.

-Skip

Comment

• jimmyp58
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

Thanks Skip....

Comment

• jimmyp58
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

Now I am getting more confused. While I thought I understood this, now I wonder if I truly get it. Here's what I am going to connect to the 1098. I have two CD carousels that I will connect to coaxial inputs. I have two DVD players (one is a 300-disc carousel & the other is a Denon DVD-2900 DVD-A/SCAD unit) that I will connect to coaxial inputs. I will connect my HDTV cable box to the 5th coaxial input. On the optical side, I will connect a CD-R to one optical in (and corresponding out) and one MiniDisc player/recorder to an optical in & out. I will NOT be connecting anything to any of the analog inputs. If you add this up, I will be connecting 7 audio devices. Am I toast? You indicated I can only hook up 3 audio devices.

On the video side, I was going to connect two CD players to composite video inputs as well as two dvd players to composite video inputs so I can see this on the TFT screen. I was going to connect each dvd player to component inputs (progressive) and my HDTV . Am I toast here too?

Please advise.

Thanks....

Jim

Comment

• Scarp
          • Mar 2003

Connections available to you
          - Video1, assign coax 1 to this and hook up one cd carrousel
          - Video2, assign coax 2 to this and hook up the other cd carrousel
          - Video3, assign coax 3 to this and hook up your dvd carrousel
          - Video4, assign coax 4 to this and hook up your other dvd player.
          - Video5, assign coax 5 to this and hook up your HDTV cable box
          - CD, assign optical 1 to this and hook up your CD Recorder
          - Tape input for your Minidisc player (assign optical 2 to this).

I'm wondering why you are hooking up a CD player to a composite video input? Or is this for displaying purposes? If you want your two cd carrousels to be displayed on the TFT through composite then above connections will work, video 1 and 2 are used then for that purpose.

I suggest you try this

Ow yeah ... also connect your Denon 2900 through 5.1 analogue to the multichannel analog input of the 1098 for SACD/DVD-A

Comment

• skipm
            • Jun 2003

Jim-

They are really audio inputs in name only. Rotel calls them CD, Tuner, and Tape inputs, which are usually thought of as audio only devices. With the 1098, you can assign a video input to these as well. So you have a total of 9 inputs to connect devices to, 5 video, 3 audio, and the multi-channel input.

Follow Scarp's advice and you will have no problems.

Scarp- Sounds like he has one of those CD jukeboxes like a Sony CDP-875P that comes with a composite video output. This will let you see the CD's you have in your jukebox on your TV and select CD, Author, Title, from the TV. Some even will show Album Art if it is imbedded in the CD.

-Skip

Comment

• Scarp
              • Mar 2003

I thought so about the cd changers ... quite a good use of the TFT of the 1098 actually.

For consistency Rotel should have called the audio inputs "Audio 1", Audio 2 and Audio 3. Although there are differences with the tape input, that also has an analogue output.

Comment

• skipm
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Scarp
                I thought so about the cd changers ... quite a good use of the TFT of the 1098 actually.
                And don't forget us DVD-Audio player owners as well. Especially ones like me who own a plasma and are paranoid about leaving a static image up for any length of time. Now I just turn the plasma off and display the pictures and lyrics on the TFT.

For consistency Rotel should have called the audio inputs "Audio 1", Audio 2 and Audio 3. Although there are differences with the tape input, that also has an analogue output.
                I totally agree with you on that one, especially since they can be renamed.

One more thought on the 100Mhz bandwidth topic, the 1066 had 2 component inputs with 200Mhz bandwidth each so maybe it was real easy for them to add 2 more component inputs and use the same chipset, just program the code to allow each to support 100Mhz. I know you guys across the pond probably don't need 4 component inputs since you use scart but I am loving the 4 component inputs over here.

-Skip

Comment

• jimmyp58
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Aug 2003

Scarp:

Thanks a bunch (skip too). And yes, the video connection from the cd players is so that I can see the library on the tft screen rather than my hdtv (similar for dvd-a menu as well).

Thanks a bunch again...

Jim

Comment

• Scarp
                    • Mar 2003

Let us know it went after you try it ... if you got a digicam, post a picture of the back ... I like to see the cable mess you will create

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"