X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevebez
    • Oct 2003

1068 Converion of S-Video & Composite to Component

Howdy ... I have not used S-Video, but recently when studying my SAT receivers manual, I noted it outputs S-Video.

What is generally better a signal / picture composite or S-Video. Also which is easier to convert to component signal ??

Rgds Steve
  • malcky
    • Jun 2004

Hi mate, s-video is better than composite however RGB from the scart socket is even better (bear in mind that not all scart sockets on tvs accept a RGB signal so usually need to plug into scart 1 on tv), but then you would get video swithing then if that is what you want to do.

Comment

• Stevebez
      • Oct 2003

On the issue of RGB->Component conversion, I assume a good quality convertor can do this without degrading the picture much at all.

What would be better option - going the route of RGB->Component conversion, or using S-Video input and using the 1068 for the conversion to component, bearing in mind the RGB->Component convertor costs £150... :E

In both cases the video input from source will be going into the 1068 and using the component out to the plasma display.

Rgds Steve.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Always use the highest quality video feed you have which in this case is s-video..the Rotel's ability to produce a nice image will largely depend on how good the incoming video is so feed it the better quality s-video input and you should see a cleaner looking component upconversion as a result.

Comment

• Stevebez
          • Oct 2003

I have heard most processors when doing "conversion" do so in S-video format or even composite mode see quote below from back in 2002 (way back in processor years) in another forum - apologies for the copy - but its pretty interesting and I was wondering what methodology the Rotel's RSP's use for their video conversions... also I am not sure what is required to convert a progressive signal. Is progressive only available over PAL / component - or over S-video as well?

I assume component input to the RSP's input is merely switched without any interference to the component output ?

“……..It is often accomplished by converting the incoming component signal to S-Video, then sending that signal to their standard decoder chip. Believe it or not, this is a common practice, not only among TV set manufacturers, but in several video upconverters. There is a picture quality loss going from component to S-Video then back to component inside the old processor chip. This is usually what’s going on in the video system when reviewers proclaim S-Video equal to component video.”

Rgds Steve

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"