X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wick
    • Dec 2005

Looking for Speakers

I'm starting to look for speakers now, and have set up a lose budget. I was planning on spending the following:

Front Speaker Pair: $800-1000
    Surround Speaker Pair: $300-500
    Center Speaker: $300-500

I will most likely get the sub at a later time, so don't worry about that. And I plan on getting a new receiver that incorporates the new sounds formats coming out. Other gear I'm using: Denon 2910 DVD player and Sony 60" Grand Wega SXRD display.

Some speakers I liked that I've looked at were Klipsch Synergy 3 (had a nice setup at BB and fell well within my price range, but I havn't heard much about them from anywhere) and B&W. I don't remember the pricing on the B&W, if it was for pairs or single speaker prices. Would my budget work for B&W? And any other recommendations to look at with this budget?

Thanks for the Help!
    Paul
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

What are your room dimensions?

Comment

• brac
      • Aug 2005

Klipsch is great stuff but keep in mind that "Synergy" is their lower end stuff.....
      You might consider used klipsch... great stuff for the money... look into the klf line..
      Brac

Comment

• Wick
        • Dec 2005

14' Wide x 24' Long. TV is center of the 14' wall. I plan on buying a new house in 2-3 years, so I will have a more home theater style room then.
        Paul

Comment

• eddiem67
          • Jun 2004

So are these strictly HT speakers your looking at? What amps are you running?
          My Car Audio

Comment

• Wick
            • Dec 2005

I'll use it to listen to music aswell, but I'm not that picky when listening to music at a party and such, so primarily HT. I'm getting a new receiver with the speakers. Waiting for something with the new sound formats. Will spend around $800-1500 on the receiver.
            Paul

Comment

• Alloroc
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Hi,

I'm writing this on my PDA so sorry if it appears screwy...

Anyhow, how about the B&W XT-2s for front and rears, the XT-C for the centre and the PV-1 sub. They look and sound great and they may all come in around budget. Their size should suit your room size perfectly for that matter. When you move to a bigger place, get a pair of XT-4s and move to a 7.1 setup! Better stop now, as I'm giving myself ideas.
              Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Look at B&W, Energy, Paradigm, PSB, Polk, Totem, Vienna Acoustics...etc.

Just make sure you listen to as many as possible
                Jason

Comment

• sYkone
                  • Dec 2005

Look into the DIY forum. Just my opinion. You may see even more options. IF you are willing to DIY or have some work done.

Comment

• cotdt
                    • Oct 2005

I've built some of the stuff in the DIY forum here, and let me just say that they would compare favorably to even the most-respected commercial brands, for under $1500/pair speakers. Pretty low-cost to build but some serious work.

Comment

• Wick
                      • Dec 2005

Any recommendations of a good DIY speaker to follow on that forum? I've looked over some of them, and want to make sure I pick one that I can easily follow throughout the construction. Thanks for all the help.

The DIY seems like it would be a fun project.
                      Paul

Comment

• sYkone
                        • Dec 2005

Size, configuration, cosmetics...........What kind of sound are you looking for? There are lots of options. You need to ask yourself what you want and how complex of a project you think you can handle. I just built my first pair of Triune TL's. Budget was a big factor at the time, for me. Sounds like you could use more expensive components. Spend some time on the RS threads. I almost built the Modula's and may still do it. But, the Triunes sound really good, so it will probably be awhile. If you have other equipment already, you could start with a sub. No crossover work and generally simple to do. Lots of help when you need it, just come back to the DIY board and read and ask Q's.

Good luck man, I think you will find it very gratifying.
                        Last edited by sYkone; 04 March 2006, 21:59 Saturday.

Comment

• Hdale85
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2006

The popular speakers in the DIY section are the Modula MTM's the Natalie P's and the Modula MT's you could use the natalie p's for your mains and do modula mt's for rears or the modula mtm's for the mains too the natalie p's were like a budget version of the mudula's somewhat. there is also a mtm center and also a wtmw center all the speakers there have awsome reviews so its mostly look into what you like and what not there are also a ton of subs that have been built in that section

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"