X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • laneza01
    • Feb 2007

5000 dollars to spend...

I would not say new to this game, but this is the first time I’ve ever had enough money to buy a decent system. I'm using the THX certified Logitech z-5500 computer speakers in my dorm, which I like, but I know it can be better. And at home I have a pretty basic 6.1 channel 300 dollar Pioneer receiver from about 2002, a pair of older Bose bookshelf speakers (3 series I think) from 1990ish, a matching pair of Bose center and rear channels and 2 of the dual Bose cube speakers with a passive sub (I think that’s the right term, since it is in series with the cubes with no separate amp). Which I do actually enjoy when listening to 2 channel music from an old RCA cd player.

I have friend with a pair of new Klipsch Synergy F-3's tower speakers, the ones with the dual 8 inch woofers, a new top-model Pioneer Elite receiver, the 12 inch Synergy sub. I think it sounds pretty good, but I have never really heard anything better then what he has...I can only dream how 1500 dollar speakers sound if his 650 dollar ones sound good…to me anyway.

I go to school in a very small town but my parents live in a slightly larger one that has a dealer who sells some higher-end stuff. Ill post a link at the end to their site, just to show what he has. I've never actually been in there, so I suppose that’s a good place to start.

I will be using the system in a 12x14ish dorm room, however it will be dedicated to the system (its kind of a suite type thing separate from the bedrooms). I like to listen to music fairly loudly, to the dismay of my neighbors of course...And I know this doesn't seem to be a fairly common thing around here but, I listen to mostly rap and rock but dabble in a little of everything. I really like loud low bass, although I haven’t really gotten to the point where I’ve seen what my room does as far as a flat curve and all that stuff. I watch alot of movies too...both from a basic prog scan Sony from a few years ago and I have a couple Bluerays that I play through my PS3. I have a 42 inch Westinghouse 1080p LCD, so HDMI is a must for the receiver.

So ill start listing what I want for each component.

SUB - About $1500-$2000
    The Logitech system boasts a 288 RMS/500 Max THX certified 10 inch sub. I would like a 15, but would settle for a 12. I had been looking at the MKV-15 from earthquake because it says its very loud and low(about 1500 shipped new on eBay or 1000 used, hesitant to buy a used sub) , also the DD-12 from Velodyne (about 1600+shipping used audiogon, again used). I really like the IDEA of the 15, but im gonna assume the Velodyne is probably better, mostly because it costs probably 300 dollars more, would it be worth it?. Ive looked at the SVS and HSU, but really like the idea of an Earthquake in my room...

Towers - about $1000-1500
    I was really looking at the Axiom M80's. I like the look and like what I’ve read. They say the low bass isn’t good, but I will be using a big sub, so i'm thinkin that would be OK? Other then that, B&W gets alot of compliments here, but im not really sure what to look at, as far as in my price range, because I don’t know much about them and they don't list prices. So im open to suggestions there. Really between the sub and towers I would like to spend about $3000…

Pre/Pro- $2000-3500?
    Since HDMI is a must, I really liked the Parasound Halo C2. It doesn’t have HDMI built in but you can buy that Z-HD add-on through the RS-232 port. It also boasts a lot of cool stuff like the 7.4 possibility, maybe a few years down the road. Does anyone know if that RS-232 thing works well? I do realize together those two pieces will probably cost around $3500 but I would be willing to spend that. I was also looking at the Sunfire TPG-5, which has 2 HDMI, which should be enough. And the NAD-M15, which also has 2 HDMI. The NAD doesn’t have balanced outputs, but from what I read that may or may not matter, im still unsure of that, having both would give me an opportunity to try it though. I realize it may not be fair to compare the Parasound vs. the other too. But is it worth the extra 1500 dollars?

Amp/Amps- $500-$1000
    This depends on the speaker, but I was looking at the Outlaw Audio mono amps@ about $300 each new, one for each speaker, giving me the ability to add more and more speakers later…when I have the money. Or the Rotel Rb-1080 for about 700 used and then adding a 5 channel eventually for 7.1, which will probably end up costing more then Outlaw, but from what I’ve read are maybe a little better? I’m open to suggestions here, because I was really unsure of what to look for, especially if there are some that match B&W speakers better. Remember loud is good!

Wires-???
    For a system like this, how much would I be expecting to pay for wires?
    My friend has monster z2 bi wire, which were expensive but seem good. I really don’t know much about them. What quality should I expect to use based on the system I layed out, I was thinking for a pair of 1 meter XLR from the pre/pro to the amps, pair of 2 meter bi wires for the amps to speakers, and 3 HDMI cables (upconvert DVD, PS3, and cable box). Using the sponsors cables how much would i need to spend based on the quality i would need...Maybe around 500 bucks?

I won’t be making all these purchases at once but will probably start here in about a couple weeks. The receiver will be last, just so I can make sure I get the newest one possible. The HDMI 1.3 receiver, can’t think of the name of it off the top of my head, is a possibility but not much is really known about it and no one has heard it, so I may be asking this question again in a few weeks I guess. The top priority right now is the Speakers and amps, because ill be buying them first.

Thank you for reading all this…I realize it’s a lot, but I wanted to be sure I included everything. I tried to do some research, but this is a lot of money, for me anyway, and I wanted to be sure it all works and looks good. And i realize if i add all those up they equal more then $5000, buuuuuut who really sticks to a budget anyway right...

http://www.hawkeyeaudio.com/OurProdu...8/Default.aspx - link to local dealer options.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

With 2000-3500 of your budget into a pre/pro might want to get a really nice receiver for now and add an amp later. They have all the features you want and everything. There is a new Sherwood Newcastle with HDMI 1.3 and supports the new audio formats from bluray and HD-DVD. I believe its 1500 bucks and for the cost and the features would be pretty hard to beat. Only problem is I'm not sure it's out yet. But I believe its coming out soon :B

Everyone always says your going to get the most improvment of your system from the speakers. So if you spend a little less on your reciever I would add more budget to your speakers. Just an idea.

As far as speakers I would deffinately say look at B&W or AV123 Rockets are pretty nice. There are a lot of speakers you could look at. Best thing to do is go to a dealer and start listening. And the best places are the little mom and pop shops that are privately owned. They will work the best deal for you and pretty much let you do anything to see what you like.

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

I would give the Paradigm Studio 60 a listen. I think you'll like that and the Paradigm sub.
      Greg

Comment

• gd
        • Jan 2003

You've rightly tagged about 2/3 of your budget for speakers.

But... re-think the sub: get the SVS or Hsu, cut your sub budget in half, and don't look back... those online subs are the bang-for-buck value in HT.

If you want HDMI, I second the suggestion to get a receiver to use as a pre-pro, receivers will always sport more current features than pre-pro's... up the ante for your power amps, make sure they provide plenty of current for the speakers you choose.

Set aside 5-10% of your budget for cables... do not buy them at a retail $tore, there are many online options (not the least of which is this forum's sponsor, CatCables, highly recommended).

Having considered those preferences, make every effort to audition speakers, they vary the most in sound characteristics... if auditioning is not feasible, know that the retailer you linked carries a very nice line of gear.

For me, Marantz receivers and Monitor Audio speakers are a match made in heaven... add a B&K 2-ch or 5-ch power amp, and you will rock mightily.

Happy hunting.
        greg (gd to you)
        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

The other good thing about getting a nice receiver is that chance to add a power amp later when you save more so that you have more money up front for the rest of your system. Receivers are getting quite nice. A good pre/pro with HDMI 1.3 and the new audio formats is going to be VERY expensive for a long time. But there seems to be several receivers coming out soon that are going to be very awesome and at a very good price.

Comment

• laneza01
            • Feb 2007

Alright, i plan to go to the dealer this Saturday and see what he has for me to listen too. I see that you suggest B&W speakers, what model would correlate with my price range? the have so many and there aren't any prices listed. And the rockets, The reference 1.8 (on sale) or the RS850 or the RS760, i assume they all sound a little different, has anyone heard them? As far as receivers go, would they provide enough power, especially if I go with a higher-endish speaker (maybe not high end, but high end for me). Which receivers should I look at? My friends pioneer seems nice, is it any good from a "musical" standpoint? The Marantz Sr9600 can be found used for about 2600, which is within my price range, it looks pretty good, 2 hdmi. I may wait for the HDMI 1.3 Sherwood, since hopefully it will be out soon? maybe? Hopefully within a couple months. And is Denon any good? they are more "mainstream" but maybe the 4806ci, used for $2900?
            Thanks again guys.

As far as the sub, the svs ultra/2 looks nice, but would have to buy it used. should be loud enough. HSU-a big plus is that its built in the good ol US of A...the VTF-3 HO Subwoofer i could probably amost get 2 of those or one of them and a MBM-12 Mid-bass Module...does the "turbo" do anything? i dont really understand that...

and i added up the cables from CAT, i am a bit confused tho, is "1 quanity" one cable or a pair of cables? kinda a dumb question but im not sure. I assume its just one cable, but just to be sure.

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

If you go into the cat cable section of the forum you can tell him what you need and he could build it for you and give you a quote.

As for the receiver I would think that Sherwood Newcastle should be coming out in the next couple months. Denon's are really nice but very expensive. I have a Yamaha receiver and I think it sounds excellent but some on here will argue that they are bright. Just go listen to some stuff. As for the rockets I've just heard about people owning them but they have a full 30 day refund policy if you don't like them and what not...I think they will even refund shipping. They aren't carried in any stores though. I don't believe anyways :B

Comment

• gd
                • Jan 2003

Really – when visiting the retailer don't miss an opportunity to audition Monitor Audio speakers with a Marantz receiver... look for the MA Silver series.

The Marantz X001 series is somewhat more current than the SR9600... the SR8001 is very loaded for ± $2K... it should actually drive MAs rather well on its own, might not need a power amp for now.

B&W certainly make good speakers, though I can't get excited about them until you move up to the 800-series... and most B&W owners will tell you they like lots of power – a substantial outboard power amp is generally recommended for these guys.

HDMI... imo, it will take a couple generations for it to become idiot-proof, 1.3 really isn't even on the market yet... if it was me, I'd seek HDMI for video switching only (as I would personally need full hi-res SACD, DVDA, TruHD audio and bass mgt capabilities that just won't be there for a while)... HDMI is not a deal-breaker for me, even if it does mean more cable$.

Analog interconnects and speaker cables are shown as pairs, digital interconnects are sold as singles... there is a CatCables forum down the main page where you can contact Doug directly.
                greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Well if this Sherwood receiver comes out soon it supports TruHD and all that...it really looks like a great receiver. And was only like 1500 bucks. But I'm really not sure when it comes out.

Comment

• Azeke
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2003

The release date of the Sherwood R-972 is scheduled for August.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• laneza01
                      • Feb 2007

So dont most blu-ray players and even the ps3 have decoding for HD stuff already? whenever we watch a blue ray on my friends ps3 through his pioneer it always saids something and im drawing a blank on what that is...but wouldn't it just transfer it to the receiver in that form and the receiver just reproduces it? is that true at all? i may be just talking out my butt.

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

The only way to use the new audio formats right now is to get the players that have the analog 5.1 outputs. Nothing decodes them currently.

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

The rest of the advice is pretty sound (especially re: SVS and the Sherwood receiver :T)

As for speakers, listen to as many as you can but here's a list of some of my fav's for your reference:

B&W, Energy, Kef, Paradigm, PSB. Polk, Totem & Vienna Acoustics.

They all have quality, moderately priced units as well as higher end stuff as well
                          Jason

Comment

• Alaric
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by GregLett
                            I would give the Paradigm Studio 60 a listen. I think you'll like that and the Paradigm sub.
                            I agree on the Studio 60s. I own a pair of v.3s and love them. I have a fairly small listening area (14'X17') and they are 8' apart and about 20" from the wall. I don't use a sub and honestly don't feel the need for one. The bass from the Paradigms is pretty solid. According to my neighbors they positively thump. (Oops!) A friend was over recently and asked where the sub was. I paid $1600 for the pair w/the cherry finish , but could have gotten the demo pair in black for $1000. My amp is fairly lightweight and drives them with no problem.
                            I have heard Paradigms can sound "bright" with some amps , so demo them first , but they seem to get along with my Marantz really well. I also found out they are capable of a lot of detail with Silvercat interconnects between my source and amp. Very sensitive speakers , work very well at low SPLs as well as "party" levels. My $.02
                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                            Schiit Modi 3
                            Marantz CD5005
                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

Fun is having the money to buy a nice system.

If I were giving my two cents, I'd say for you to look first toward the good speakers. Now, I got all my speakers from online direct companies, ACI and Hsu, but you'll do right to go out and audition as many speakers as possible. All have given excellent suggestions, but when you're out hearing them, I'd suggest you take along a lot of software you like listening to and play the speakers at different volumes. You want speakers that can still sound good at low volumes and not just at theater levels.

Sit back, close your eyes, and listen for a long time. Notice how natural voices and different instruments like a piano sound. Is the bass taut? Are the sounds still distinct when many instruments are playing? Is the sound stage wide and deep enough, without losing a sense of location for each instrument?

Also, when I was younger, I once made the mistake of picking out a pair of speakers just because they floored me on first listening to them. I'll use Klipsch as an example (the reference series currently marketed). Some people seem to hate them due to what they consider a too forward presentation. Now, me, personally, I like their sound as well as other aspects such as their phenomenal efficiency. That's why speakers are so personal. They influence the sound more than any other piece of equipment. Be aware though that they might sound very different in your listening environment, so make sure whomever you buy from has a return policy, with no restocking fee, so that you can feel comfortable returning them if need be.

With speakers as your focus, you can add the other equipment to bring out the best in them.

Three more things:
                              1. Take everything a salesperson might tell you with a grain of salt.
                              2. There's a camp that feels that cables don't make a sonic difference. I believe that they do, but, even if I'm wrong, solid construction can make the upfront expense of cables negligible in the long run. I've had to move my system many times and just had less expensive products break on me many time for various reasons. Cables like CAT's cost more up front than some, but they've been bomb proof in my system.
                              3. Take your time. I hate shopping in general, but love shopping for audio equipment. I'm very patient when I do it, because I can't stand ending up with something I don't love. Someone once said that you'll know when you've found the right speakers, as they'll reach out and grab you with their sound.

My wife rolls her eyes when I spend so much time doing it, but so do I when she spends hours "auditioning" a new sewing machine.
                              Keith

Comment

• whoaru99
                                • Jul 2004

I'll do you a HUGE favor that may not be completely obvious at right now...

Send me that money IMMEDIATELY to prevent a serious obsession/addiction from gripping your life forever more.

I know; you thinking I'm joking. We'll see who gets the last laugh...
                                There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• laneza01
                                  • Feb 2007

haha, to bad i don't have your address...no thanks for all the advice. I was gonna go home today and do some listening but were having a nice little (big) ice/snow storm...and rear wheel drive+ice=bad, so i have to wait for a day this week to make the drive...

Comment

• Alaric
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by whoaru99
                                    I'll do you a HUGE favor that may not be completely obvious at right now...

Send me that money IMMEDIATELY to prevent a serious obsession/addiction from gripping your life forever more.

I know; you thinking I'm joking. We'll see who gets the last laugh...
                                    No,no,no,no.... He will just tell you what great stuff he bought.Send it to me and I promise I won't tell you a thing about my new amp and S8s :W
                                    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                    Schiit Modi 3
                                    Marantz CD5005
                                    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• laneza01
                                      • Feb 2007

Alright, i finally got a chance to go to the dealer near my house away from home. He only had one setup that really intrested me. It was a Paradigm setup with the Studio 60's, and I must say...they sounded amazing. I didn't have a CD of my own music, however i did watch a scene from "The Island". They were impressive. They had a price tag of 1599 on sale from 1799. How reasonable is this for these speakers, i know above he said he could get some demo black, which is what these were, for 1000? Should i try to talk him down a bit if i decide on these. He also said that the 80's were about a thousand more or so...And although i would love these, he said they are very power hungry and would need a big amp for them but could use the 60's with a nice reciever. I mentioned a few online speakers (rocket 123's and axiom) and the guy said they were nice but "bang for the buck" paradigm was better. He also said to see who makes everything for them and that all of paradigm's materials were made in house, even the glue for the box. Anyone know about the rocket's or Axioms? I don't know why this is important but he put a big emphasis on it.
                                      The sub with the setup was the Seismic 12, it sounded good but without my music it was hard to tell if it "bumped" enough for my pleasure,sounded great for the movie tho. He also said that a 15 inch sub would be "sloppy" and wouldn't sound as good for music. Is this more or less true for bigger subs? Is paradigm good for subs, compared to a velodyne dd12? they seem to have similar amp ratings and price tag.
                                      Thanks guys

Comment

• gd
                                        • Jan 2003

Many speaker mfr's have various parts (drivers, crossovers etc) supplied to them, that's not uncommon.

Subwoofer performance is really more dependent on its placement in your room than anything else... I still strongly recommend the SVS or Hsu over all others, if only as a matter of budget management... Paradigm makes decent speakers, but they're not known for their subs... while it's recommended to match your 5.0 speakers as closely as possible, it's absolutely unnecessary to brand-match the sub.

No retailer will encourage you to have a good impression of online speakers.

But you might use the online guys' try-n-buy policies as leverage with the retailer if you like his goods... i.e., arrange a liberal return policy or maybe a home trial (easier said than done).

Sorry, I have no input for you on pricing.

Speakers are the sonic wild card... it's almost a given they'll sound somewhat differently at home as they do in the store... I understand you may have relatively few resources to do this, but audition as much as you can... wrt power – if the retailer is interested in your business, he should hook up the Monitor Audio's (or others) for you to hear... they're somewhat easier to drive than the Paradigms... the point being, depending on speaker chosen, you may be able to get by without a separate power amp for now.
                                        greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Oy...salesman :roll:

Like most salesmen you kind of have to take what they say with a grain of salt and make sure you do your own homework. Generally when I'm buying electronics I like to know more about the products then they do, it scares the crap out of them :twisted: :B

The idea that a 15" sub would be inherently sloppier than a 12" due to it's size is ridiculous... and given the same quality of components between the two is actually backwards. Sure a crappy 15" sub would likely sound worse then a good 12" one but a good 15" has a larger surface area to move more air and should have an appropriately bigger amp to push it. As such the 12" would have to work harder and likely not be as "clean" in the process to move the same amount of air/create bass. (I still vote for you to pick the speakers you like and add an SVS sub... for the record ) If you do buy a B&M brand I'd say the Velodyne DD series are hard to beat for SQ but they are a tad on the pricey side.

As for bang for buck, it's hard to beat the online guys as they have a lot less overhead to deal with. However, I personally prefer the B&M brands that I can go and listen to, touch, see etc. And you can get some great gear and decent prices in store as well so he's not entirely wrong there :lol:

Otherwise, next time make sure you take some of your own CD's and DVD's that you're VERY familiar with in with you. Also, listen to some other makes and models Paradigm's are great speakers but there's plenty of fish in the sea and you won't know which you'll prefer if you don't try them
                                          Jason

Comment

• laneza01
                                            • Feb 2007

The dealer has a pretty small place and it didn't look like he had any comparable Monitor audio speakers around, although I didn't ask. What would be a comparable model of Monitor's to the Paradigm Studio 60's and the 100's? And, because I really like the idea of the 100's, would using a Rotel RB-1092 overpower these speakers? Would a RB-1080 be better? The 1092 is 500x2 at 8 ohms and the 1080 is 200x2 at 8 ohms. I'm looking at the literature and they say "suitbale amplifier power range" 15-350 watts" but "maximum Input power" is 150 watts, any idea what this means?

Comment

• digital desire
                                              • Dec 2006

Consider DIY. I don't have a wood shop, so hired out the MDF work. Once you have that done, it is just a matter of putting everything together, ordering all the right stuff, etc. Easy, considering all the great "recipes" in the mission accomplished section, most have a Bill of Materials (BOM).
                                              The bang for the buck is there, and you will have a "sound only mother could love".
                                              Peter
                                              Syracuse, N.Y.

Comment

• aud19
                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2003

You can NEVER have too much power, to little yes, to much no

As for brands, there's been numerous other ones listed in this thread, check some of them out or listen to whatever he has and let us know what you liked
                                                Jason

Comment

• laneza01
                                                  • Feb 2007

Well, i actually meant like model number of the Monitor Audio ones that are comparable in price to the 60's and the 100's, they have like 3 different lines and 6 different models of floor standing speakers with no prices. If theres a retail list of prices for em out there somewhere point me to it. And I'm not a very handy guy when it comes to building stuff. I helped a friend build a subwoofer box for his car...that didnt work to well. needless to say he bought one...

Comment

• gd
                                                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                                                    You can NEVER have too much power
                                                    What he said... the 1080 would drive those 100's well enough, though.

Originally posted by laneza01
                                                    What would be a comparable model of Monitor's to the Paradigm Studio 60's and the 100's?
                                                    The Gold line is probably most comparable, but the Silver is not far removed for considerably le$$...

But...
                                                    The dealer has a pretty small place
                                                    One last plea to try and find at least one other retailer and audition at least one other make of speaker, so you have at least a mild basis for comparison... however, if you really are stuck without a retailer within 50-100 miles (people actually go that far), or don't care to experiment with the online guys, I guess there is some some assurance in that the Paradigms are well-regarded by many – and you did seem to like them in-store.
                                                    greg (gd to you)

Frank Zappa

Comment

• laneza01
                                                      • Feb 2007

Oh yeah, i plan to listen to probably a couple more. In a few weeks when I actually have the money for the speakers, i plan to maybe try out the Rocket 123's and compare them to the Studio's...although I'm thinking i may want to weight for the new reciever with HDMI 1.3 and then buy all this stuff, since i cant really test the online speakers without a receiver/amp maybe i should buy those first...and since that one doesn't come out for a long time then im kinda at a dilemma, but i suppose good things are worth waiting for. In the meantime I definatly will try to get out and listen to some more speakers.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • Jan 2006

I don't know where you're located , but I can PM you the phone number of the store where I bought my speakers. It's in the Columbus , OH area. Shipping for 140 lbs. of speaker won't be cheap,so geography will probably be important. It has also been almost two years since I bought mine.(still love 'em!)
                                                        Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                        Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                        Schiit Modi 3
                                                        Marantz CD5005
                                                        Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• laneza01
                                                          • Feb 2007

Yeah I live in the great state of Iowa...but i thought Rocket's were sold only online?

Comment

• Alaric
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

Sorry,I was referring to the Paradigms.
                                                            Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                            Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                            Schiit Modi 3
                                                            Marantz CD5005
                                                            Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• laneza01
                                                              • Feb 2007

You say you've bought some, the 60's or the 80's? what is a reasonable price for them? The dealer said they have good sales on demo's when they get new stuff but the Studio 60's just came out so they'll have em for a while. Thanks

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

If you are set on buying a power amp then get a cheaper reciever like a Pioneer 1016-TX and one of those Rotel amps until the new stuff comes out. And deffinately try out the rockets and what not if you can. It won't hurt by any means and will either broaden your view on speakers or reassure you about the ones you have listened to. And I believe they give you 30 days so be sure to log in about 40+ hours of listening so they break in properly before you have your final review. I've thought about getting the rockets but I think my next speakers I'm going to build.

Comment

• Alaric
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Jan 2006

You say you've bought some, the 60's or the 80's? what is a reasonable price for them? The dealer said they have good sales on demo's when they get new stuff but the Studio 60's just came out so they'll have em for a while. Thanks
                                                                  I paid $1600 for new Studio 60v.3 in the cherry veneer finish. They offered me the demo pair , in Black Ash for $1000. There is a pair of Studio 60 v.2 on audiogon for $800.
                                                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                                                  Marantz CD5005
                                                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"