X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pras1011
    • Nov 2005

Which processor??

I have a budget of about £1500 (roughly $3000). I want a better processor than my Proceed AVP. But i dont know which, but I do know I want a high-end processor.
    I have already had a Rotel 1068 (so Rotels are a no go). Since I live in the UK the choices are more limited but in the US there are loads.
    Heres my list of what I think are good processors:
    Anthem 20
    Anthem 30
    Sunfire Theatre Grand 2
    Proceed AVP2 (if I can find one!!!!)
    Krell HTS

Can anyone recommend any on my list or any others. I need a processor that going to be good with music and home cinema.

My system is M&K 850s on the front, Def Tech BP1X on rears, Adcom 7705 power amp, and velo cht15 sub.

Thanks

Pras
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

i dont like anthem. they sound sterile to me. i took them off of my list when shopping around.
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

You've already got a decent pre/pro, wait 6months-1year and there will be a whole new set of pre/pro's with HDMI 1.3 capability and compatibility with HD-DVD/BluRay

At that point look at the Bryston's, Lexicon's, Classe's etc of the world if you'd like something higher end.
      Jason

Comment

• pras1011
        • Nov 2005

I am not too bothered about video switching. I was told the AVP was better than Bryston's, Lexicon's, Classe's for 2 channel music. I was told that the AVP is better than the sp1.7 on home cinema

Comment

• gostan
          • May 2003

The Bryston SP1.7 has now been upgraded to the SP2, which has resulted in a greatly improved HT sound coupled with its' stellar 2 channel.

Also, I am surprised that neither the Arcam AVP700 or AV9 are on your list. Another great sounding 2 channel/HT pre pro. To my ears, the Anthems have never been great 2 channel sounding pre-pro's.
          Stan

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by pras1011
            I was told the AVP was better than Bryston's, Lexicon's, Classe's for 2 channel music.
            Not sure I would accept that advice at face value. I think the speakers used in that recommendation should be disclosed, proper matching is important. Do yourself a favor and listen to all three, if you haven't already, with the speakers that you prefer. The results may surprise you. 8)
            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by RebelMan
              Not sure I would accept that advice at face value. I think the speakers used in that recommendation should be disclosed, proper matching is important. Do yourself a favor and listen to all three, if you haven't already, with the speakers that you prefer. The results may surprise you. 8)
              I agree

Also have you acoustically treated your room yet? Perhaps the reason you're unhappy with an otherwise quality class of pre/pro is poor room interaction?
              Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Also, I am surprised that neither the Arcam AVP700 or AV9 are on your list. Another great sounding 2 channel/HT pre pro.
                I was surprised at this too.

The Sherwood Newcastle would also be worth a look. It's got a world class featureset. Though I'm not sure SN is available across the pond.

Comment

• pras1011
                  • Nov 2005

sherwood Newcastle is a very very budget english brand. owned by www.richersounds.co.uk!
                  though i havent seen a sherwood sold in the uk for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"