X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angioguy
    • Nov 2005

Subwoofer to complete B&W 5.1?

Does anybody have experience with the Velodyne DD-10 versus the SPL 1200 ii subwoofers?

The subwoofer I'm looking for will be completing a 5.1 system consisting of a pair of B&W DM-330 (rears), B&W HTM4S (center) and B&W 803S (mains). The center and rear channels are driven by an Arcam AVR-300 receiver, and the 803's are driven by a McIntosh MC-402 power amp bridged to the AVR-300. My setup is roughly 60:40, HTure audio, and where audio goes, I listen to a broad range, from classical to hard rock.

The listening room is ovoid, roughly 14' x 30', with the sound traveling across the short axis of the room.

I'm looking for a musical subwoofer, with clean, tight bass, that's not going to be a chore to set up. I'm no electrical engineer, and I don't want to get bogged down with very technical schematics on how to set this thing up, but I am willing to spend the extra $$ if the DD10 clearly blows the SPL away.

I listened to the Revel B12 and B15, as well as a few of the Rel subs, but in the end, I think I'm partial to Velodyne... I just can't seem to decide between the DD and the SPL series.

Thing is, I've scoured the internet in search of reviews on these two subs and have come up with relatively little, which is what brings me to you, for your experience and thoughts, which are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
    B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Hello, I dont know what your budget is on a subwoofer, But I am running a Martin Logan Descent with my 803s and love it, it is VERY acurate for 2 channel and will tear the house down on movie effects. Not many subwoofers will do both, but the ML does. If you can give it a try.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Angioguy
      • Nov 2005

Thanks Robert,

I'm going to see if there are any ML dealers here in the NY metro area. My budget is about $2000.
      B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Do you have any size/waf constraints? If not then the SVS PB12/Ultra 2 would be killer. Nothing requires difficult setup, it's tweaking it in to your preferences that becomes the bear.

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Exact same tread in B&W forum ??????

Kobus

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I concur with Shane the SVS definitely merits consideration. Tweaking the Sub is one of the most difficult acoustical adjustments, i.e. placement, xover, phase controls, volume, etc. Utilize AVIA/DVE to adjust your sub, (if it lacks auto-calibration), with a SPL meter.

Just my quick thoughts,

Azeke

Comment

• Angioguy
              • Nov 2005

Thanks,

I'm not familiar with SVS. Not sure who in my area carries it as well as Martin Logan, of which I have heard very good things-- both deserve looking into.

Kobe,

Perhaps a dedicated subwoofer forum might be the answer. Given the fact that the subwoofer is part of my home theater system, I thought posting here would be appropriate. Because I own B&W's, I felt that posting there was even more appropriate.

Any and all opinions are welcome, nonetheless.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

With subs it'a ALL about displacement (amount of air moved). You've got a big room, so in the long run I think you'll be disappointed if you buy a sub with a single 10" or 12" driver.

Don't buy into the nonsense that smaller drivers are 'faster' or 'tighter'. 15" or 18" subs that are properly designed, perform as well or better than small drivers.

There are no 'easy' to set up subs. All require the same amount of work. And the amount of work is dependent on the placement and the geometry of the room, so it's the same situatiuon as setting up mains...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

SVS is online only thru their site. They are located in Ohio. There's a link where you can find all of the SVS owners out there on frappr. I'm sure one of them in your area would be glad to give you a demo.

Placement is IMHO the biggest hurdle because what sounds best for the sub may not work for your room or for that matter your WAF concerns if you have any. If you don't have any WAF concerns then put it whereever sounds best.

Comment

• george_k
                    • Jan 2004

I bought a paradigm servo-15 v2 at a good price, very impressed with it and it's a pretty good bang for the buck

Comment

• Azeke
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Mar 2003

I own the Sunfire sub by Bob Carver, and truly enjoy it. It was difficult to configure, but now it sounds great. Sunfire actually has a new sub which has the auto-calibration feature, you may want to add that to your list.

Best regards,

Azeke

Comment

• stewfoo
                        • Jul 2005

DD-18 or bust!
                        Stew

Comment

• Angioguy
                          • Nov 2005

Stew, don't you think the DD-18 might be overkill for a 14' x 30' space? My budget is about $2500 (tops) for a subwoofer, so I have a feeling I might be able to just swing the DD-10.

Comment

• stewfoo
                            • Jul 2005

Well, I dont really think there is overkill with subs. If properly calibrated, the sub(s) will blend in seamlessly. All that you get is more headroom when you "over do" your subs.

The DD-18 is beyond most reasonable people's budget. I understand that. But, with you stated room dimensions of 14' x 30' .... If you have 8' ceilings, then you have 3360 cubic feet. If you have 10' ceilings, then you have 4200 cubic feet of area to be pressurized.

Assuming you are sticking with the DD series. Velodynes subwoofer suggestions based on cubic feet are as follows:
                            4200cubic feet: DD-15 or DD-18.
                            3500 cubic feet: DD-12, DD-15, DD-18
                            3000 cubic feet: DD-10, DD-12, DD15, DD-18

Now, it seems that according to Velodynes suggestions, your DD-10 may be pushing it to its limits. The problem with Home theater/audio is that people half arse it the first time and end up spending alot more money down the road by upgrading.
                            The DD-10 is a great sub. I think it would be a great move if you decide to buy it now.... and maybe a year or two down the road buy a second one to properly load your room. There are some very extensive Velodyne discussions on WWW.avtalk.co.uk You really should check it out.
                            Stew

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

This is what I'd buy if I didn't build my own subs....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• autio
                                • Mar 2005

Before I built my IB I had my heart set on one of these http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=18080 I dont think you can go wrong at that price, good luck in your search.

PS I dont have any idea who is selling it (no affilliation) but if you buy it I do expect a modest commission :W

Comment

• gd
                                  • Jan 2003

Agree with stewfoo -- no overkill.

That 14 x 30 room is considered 'large'... and in fact, could likely support two subs... which, if your budget is firm, should steer you to one of the online makes, SVS or Hsu... don't be misled by their lower prices -- each of these mfr's makes serious subwoofers that leave little, if anything, to be desired... excellent with music as well as movies... for subs that must perform this double duty, I can't recommend either mfr highly enough... good customer service... 45/30-day trial and money back guarantee (sans shipping).

Bang for the buck, IMO.
                                  greg (gd to you)
                                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Azeke
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                    This is what I'd buy if I didn't build my own subs....

http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/maestro/maestro.htm
                                    That's certainly a beautiful sub ThomasW.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Angioguy
                                      • Nov 2005

Thanks for all your thoughts... I ended up with the Velodyne DD12. My room acoustics are horrible to begin with. After using the software to calibrate the sub, all I can say is, WOW! And I thought my B&W 803's sounded incredible! This sub blends seamlessly in my 5.1. Glad I went with the DD-12-- it was well worth the $$... I can only imagine what the DD-18 will do for a bigger space!

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"