X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • urlawyer
    • Feb 2009

Replaced Velodyne F1200 with a Velodyne DD10

My old Velodyne F1200 started rattling and would drop out a lot. Found that the edge had holes that caused the rattle but not the drop outs. Went out and bought a Velodyne DD10, cause the dealer gave me a great deal. I wanted a DD12 or a DD15 but they were beyond my price justification. Turns out the DD10 does a great job when paired with my AR9's, which have two 11" sub woolfers each but need about 150 w RMS just to get them moving. At low levels the DD10 carries the ball and at high levels it keeps up with the AR9s.

Well I took my F1200 apart and found a cold solder joint on the driver and that took care of the drop outs, then I took it to be reconed. Will get it back sometime this week.

With all these subwoolfer my windows will rattle. But I wonder why it took so many years for the cold solder joint to fail. Could be the problem was there for a long time but I did not find it until the rattling caused me to investigate.
  • quan325i
    • Apr 2005

I loved my Velodyne Dd12. One of the most musical subs.

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Congratulations urlawyer, the velodyne is a wonderful sub.

My Sunfire sub died, (not worth repairing), and I considered the Velodyne, (out of my price range). I picked up an ELAN sub, which even comes with white gloves so you don't ruin the piano gloss finish, at ~ 1/3 the price. It's not a velodyne, but it performs well. Enjoy you new sub it's a wonderful piece, and please keep up posted.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• urlawyer
        • Feb 2009

Got my F1200 back after being reconed. Now running both the DD10 and F1200 plus the subs in my AR9s and let me tell you the low end is outstanding.

Do not regret getting the DD10.

However, I was a little disappointed with V customer service. The Guy I talked to told me to take it back to the dealer and replace it with a DD12. He felt that the dealer had led me to the wrong sub for my room.

After I told him that I was running AR9s with a 450 w RMS amp, the F1200, and the DD10 he softened his stance but still felt that I should have gotten the DD12.

I feel that the DD10 is fast to react and the F1200 give me the lower octive, while the AR9s kick in at the higher sound levels.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Excellent news, your acoustic assessment sounds correct. The only thought to consider is how it all sounds to you.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• dart1102
            • Oct 2009

where did you get it reconed?

Comment

• urlawyer
              • Feb 2009

In Houston, Texas.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"