X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xmutants
    • Feb 2006

Buying a new television--Help!!!!

Hey everybody.
    I need some help I just built an entertainment room in my basement. I need help on what Tv to purchase. I am in the market due to distance, bewteen a 50" to a 55" I was looking at the new sony line but was unsure. I heard stories about a few things about the sonys. Lots of problems using the cable card, When watching something fastpaced like a car chase there is ghosting behind the images. I need some help what would you guys reccomend? Mitsu, panasonic, JVC, etc... I am looking for a table top model not a plasma? thanks!!
  • NeutralMAN
    • May 2005

I bought a Samsung HD CRT widescreen,

Good picture and a reasonable price.

NeutralMAN

Comment

• kurtholz
      • Feb 2005

hitachi has a really sweet 55 plasma, a whole lotta bang for the buck

good luck, tv's are tough, so many choices

kurt

Comment

• Wick
        • Dec 2005

I have a Sony Grand Wega SXRD 60" LCOS and love it. They make a 50" model aswell. I have had no problems with it.
        Paul

Comment

• xmutants
          • Feb 2006

is this the one with the 3 lcd and the speakers on the sides?

Comment

• Shane Martin
            Super Senior Member
            • Apr 2001

is this the one with the 3 lcd and the speakers on the sides?
            SXRD's are not 3lcd but they do have the side speakers.

It is my top choice for a set right now.

I would not however use cable card. They are NOT worth the trouble.

Comment

• xmutants
              • Feb 2006

whats the model # for the 50"

Comment

• Shane Martin
                Super Senior Member
                • Apr 2001

Sony-KDSR50XBR1

Comment

• xmutants
                  • Feb 2006

notn the kdf-55xs955

do you know of any ghosting with either set when fast paced things are on either cable or dvd?

Comment

• Shane Martin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2001

The xs is the lcd 720P set. LCD is really prone to ghosting but I've heard the latest are good at minimizing it if not eliminating it.

I watched alot of football one day on an SXRD and never noticed it and I'm pretty sensitive to issues like ghosting, rainbows etc.

Comment

• xmutants
                      • Feb 2006

For this size would you say this is the number 1 Tv out there or is there something better. I heard hype on the samsung 1080P or the JVC lycos etc... Do know of any problems with the sony like the black? thanks for the info :T

Comment

• Shane Martin
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Apr 2001

The biggest flaw on the SXRD would be it won't accept 1080P via HDMI. The set that will(The HP DLP) has rainbows. Pick your poisen I guess

I did read where the next gen Samsung DLP's will be LED's thus eliminating rainbows.

Things should get interesting this year.
                        Last edited by Shane Martin; 03 February 2006, 17:55 Friday.

Comment

• xmutants
                          • Feb 2006

what would you buy? I am just concerned that I am spending 3500--I just want to get the most for that price rather that a lemon

Comment

• aud19
                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2003

My top pick until SED somes out would be a CRT from based RPTV from Hitachi or Mitsubishi. They still have the best PQ out there and as a bonus are also much cheaper than anything else. They're downside, they take 6"-1' more floor space.

Otherwise if you MUST have a digital display I'll second Sony's SXRD. As mentioned it will not accept 1080p on the current model. The next generation set (likely due this summer) is rumoured to not have that problem.
                            Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Apr 2001

what would you buy?
                              Nothing right now.

They are fixing the rainbow issue with LED DLP's and the 1080P input issue for SXRD will be fixed with generation 2 so I'd wait.

I would not buy a CRT regardless. They are old news. Keep in mind this comes from a CRT owner. It's 1080P time.

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

Shane....SED DLP's....? You've lost me there big guy :scratchhead:

Don't the 9" CRT's in the top of the line Mitsu do 1080p? (Not sure if they've added that capabilty but I believe the equipment's capable)
                                Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2001

Don't the 9" CRT's in the top of the line Mitsu do 1080p? (Not sure if they've added that capabilty but I believe the equipment's capable)
                                  It'll probably do it but it they are not very bright. Not every wants a 300 pound goliath in their living room mucking up their sound stage. The other negative is of course the lack of brightness.

After living with a CRT for a while I've started to desire alot more brightness out of my set. And I want the less heft as well becuase the 1 foot of depth you gain is pretty big when you are dealing with how far out away from the wall you are putting your speakers.

SED DLP's....? You've lost me there big guy
                                  I meant LED's. No color wheel, no rainbows. The new lamp lasts 20,000 hours.

Samsung must realize those DLP bulbs don't last long enough and cost too much because the new 56-inch HL-S5679W DLP set uses LED lighting. Hey, Samsung, while you're under the hood, why not kill that color wheel too? Oh wait, they did that too with red, green and blue LEDs, which is killer because there's no gold at the end of that rainbow effect. The new tweaks give the HL-S5679W a sweet seven-second startup time and 20,000 hours of little lamp lives. There's no wobulation in this 1080p set, it's full 1920 x 1080 in a progressive format with dual 1080p inputs. Samsung states these will handle 1080p signals, so if it's the real deal, these should be paired up PlayStation 3's, no? Watch for it in April around $4,200.

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Aaaah LED I was sitting trying to figure out how SED/DLP would work together :lol:
                                    Jason

Comment

• xmutants
                                      • Feb 2006

i'm confused should I wait and how long will the new Tvs come out--am I wasting my time with the sony xbr50

Comment

• DJMoore22
                                        • Jan 2006

Sed

SED is a new one to me. What is that?

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DJMoore22
                                          SED is a new one to me. What is that?
                                          DJMoore,
                                          http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=11214

xmutants,
                                          You can always wait for the next big thing...ofcourse then you'll never actually buy anything :lol: The Sony is one of the best of it's kind available now. Whether you buy it now, later or something else entirely really can't be decided by us. My suggestion, if you can wait, wait for at least the new version of the Sony that accepts 1080p. If you need something now though, it's a great set :T
                                          Jason

Comment

• xmutants
                                            • Feb 2006

Do you know when Sony is putting out new new line The 55" with 1080P?

Comment

• aud19
                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2003

Most new TV models come out around August
                                              Jason

Comment

• DJMoore22
                                                • Jan 2006

Sed

Okay, that sounds fairly awesome! :E

Comment

• aud19
                                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by DJMoore22
                                                  Okay, that sounds fairly awesome! :E
                                                  Precisely
                                                  Jason

Comment

• Wick
                                                    • Dec 2005

I'm assuming you could get a better deal on the Sony models out now, Im starting to see price drops. When the new models come out you will probably be paying $500 or more extra. That might effect you if your set in a price range.
                                                    Paul

Comment

• JKalman
                                                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by xmutants
                                                      Hey everybody.
                                                      I need some help I just built an entertainment room in my basement. I need help on what Tv to purchase. I am in the market due to distance, bewteen a 50" to a 55" I was looking at the new sony line but was unsure. I heard stories about a few things about the sonys. Lots of problems using the cable card, When watching something fastpaced like a car chase there is ghosting behind the images. I need some help what would you guys reccomend? Mitsu, panasonic, JVC, etc... I am looking for a table top model not a plasma? thanks!!
                                                      I would wait until Sony comes out with some new SXRDs that have 1080p inputs since that will be the new standard for awhile to come. The 1080p inputs will make your TV future proof for at least the next ten years since 1080p will be the signal used in BluRay and HD-DVD as well as in the new Playstation 3. Buying anything else right now, IMO, would be foolish since we are at a critical turning point in the home movie market which we haven't been at for at least ten years, when DVDs came out. I'm waiting for the Sony SXRD TVs with 1080p inputs as well. Should only be around 4-6 months at the most until they are out.

Currently Sony's SXRDs only accept 1080i inputs at the highest, but like the ones that will have 1080p inputs they are still 1920 x 1080 resolution, so both offer TRUE High Definition resolutions, another reason to buy the SXRD TVs IMO... This means you can sit closer to the TV and get more detail out of HD signals, whether those signals are the new HD DVDs, BluRay, PS3, or HD Cable/Satellite.

If you must buy a TV now though I would get the Sony SXRD with the 1080i inputs. It is considered the best picture quality TV on the market at the moment with the highest resolutions (1920 x 1080). I really do recommend some impulse control so you can get a 1080p TV with 1080p inputs and protect yourself from obsolescense because of the new technologies coming out. Research it so you make sure you buy the best TV for yourself in the long term.

Comment

• JKalman
                                                        • Nov 2005

Oh and BTW, don't listen to people telling you that you can always wait for the next big thing, because they are not helping you... It has been a decade or so since a change this huge occured in the movie market, when DVD released, now BluRay and HD-DVD are being released and they specify a 1080p connection at their best. We are talking huge changes in movie formats. So waiting 6 months in this case makes sense.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying to sell you short, and IMO, isn't thinking clearly or rationally. Sure, they will release BluRay and HD-DVD players with 1080i outputs in the beginning, but they will not be as good as the high end 1080p ones as time goes on. Do yourself the favor and wait a few months, don't let someone talk you into spending your money on the SXRD until it has the 1080p inputs. Chances are that the people trying to talk you into it made the mistake of purchasing one early themselves and are trying to justify their purchase by getting others to buy one as well... Misery loves company, as they say. Don't let them make you a sucker also!

I realize no one has even made these arguments in the thread, I just want to cover all the bases in case someone makes them later. I hate seeing people make impulsive decisions that waste money.

Comment

• Clive
                                                          Former Moderator
                                                          • Jan 2002

JKalman, I think <Aud19> Jason covered that in his post. We do encourage members to make their own decision at the end. It's their money and their time living with the unit/s. However, I like what you've done to stir us in a good direction. Not to say that there aren't any other good comparisions out there but to save time for the posters narrowing it down to a couple of units does help!
                                                          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"